ADVERTISEMENT

Davie and North Davidson

North was 2A and 3A back in the 60s and 70s. Became 4A in the 80s and flip-flopped between 4A and 3A, right on the line for years. Lexington and Thomasville were the big schools, but over the years the county schools have grown while the city (town?) schools lost residence, much of it to do with the furniture industry. North has grown especially because of the Winston-Salem residents fleeing for tax purposes.

Oak Grove will take students from North and Ledford, and I anticipate that East and Central may become the biggest schools in the future.

North was 2A and 3A back in the 60s and 70s. Became 4A in the 80s and flip-flopped between 4A and 3A, right on the line for years. Lexington and Thomasville were the big schools, but over the years the county schools have grown while the city (town?) schools lost residence, much of it to do with the furniture industry. North has grown especially because of the Winston-Salem residents fleeing for tax purposes.

Oak Grove will take students from North and Ledford, and I anticipate that East and Central may become the biggest schools in the future.

I was told by someone last week, don't know how reliable, that the goal was for all Davidson County schools except South to be 3A. Hopefully be a catalyst of a league of their own.

I could see that. South... that's a place that hasn't experienced any growth for any period of time in a long while. They pretty much keep to themselves down there, and they like it that way lol. And they don't seem to care one bit how that affects their athletic teams, which across the board are pretty bad. Wrestling being an exception.

I'd say they've done pretty well. The offense, except for the game against Reagan, has been clicking on all cylinders. The defense is tough against the run but weak against the pass, and we have one of the best kickers in the state who's still just a youngin.

If West beats Reagan we can still finish in a three-way tie for first in the conference, but you never know how it's going to shake out. Overall I expect us to get to the second round of the playoffs, possibly third. Depends on seeding, but I don't think we have the overall defense to make a very deep run in the playoffs this year.

Oak Grove High School is being built soon. Who knows how much longer North Davidson will even be in 4A... we will slip down to 3A and possibly even 2A in 3-4 years.
Based on the maps it looks to be a good chance that North, Ledford and Oak Grove will eventually all be 3A schools but the first few years will be skewed by students who choose to finish at the high school they began at. Don't ever see Thomasville or West Davidson being 3A size.

Agreed. Lexington, Thomasville, West and South are all likely to remain small. I bet West wishes they could go back down to 1A... they were pretty competitive on that level. Were able to sustain it for 2A at first but they just don't have the athletes year-by-year to compete in the CCC.

I had heard there was a chance that North could end up at 2A after the next round of changes and the conferences are redrawn. I realize they are pulling Midway towards Oak Grove (possibly some of the Arcadia and Friedburg kids as well). Not sure what Ledford loses as I don't really know their elementary schools. If North lost 1/3 of their students, looks like they could fall from a small 4A to a large 2AA. Don't know, just thinking out loud based off the few comments I've heard first hand. It will be a different world at ND with the athletes they are taking away. Oak Grove may be like Northern Guilford and be a contender in a very short period of time, especially at the 2A ranks if that becomes the case. Who knows?

It's hard for me to come to terms with Midway eventually not feeding in to ND, being from Midway. I know a lot of people are not looking forward to the new high school and it will be a shame because it may bring an end to our matches with Tabor, west and Davie, especially if we go to 2AA which I think will end up being the case.

It will for sure change North Davidson athletics for years to come.

I have actually been told by a few folks that the plan is for ALL Davidson County schools, including South Davidson, to eventually become 2A schools after Oak Grove is built. They could redistrict parts of the East Davidson and Central Davidson districts to make South Davidson 2A. Also, I've been told that when the next re-alignment comes out, Central Davidson is all but certain to go back to 2A anyway. East Davidson could possibly take their place in 3A. I know at the last re-alignment, East Davidson was the largest 2A school in the state.

Oh, as far as the Oak Grove/North Davidson boundries, yes all of Midway will leave North, as well as parts of Arcadia and Freidberg. I'm serious, if you drive down Enterprise road, coming from the SHEETZ gas station, the kids on the right side of the road will go to Oak Grove, kids on the left will attend North Davidson.

Last edited:
Crazy... but it will make things interesting. Maybe the CCC will be an all-out Davidson League in the future.

I have actually been told by a few folks that the plan is for ALL Davidson County schools, including South Davidson, to eventually become 2A schools after Oak Grove is built. They could redistrict parts of the East Davidson and Central Davidson districts to make South Davidson 2A. Also, I've been told that when the next re-alignment comes out, Central Davidson is all but certain to go back to 2A anyway. East Davidson could possibly take their place in 3A. I know at the last re-alignment, East Davidson was the largest 2A school in the state.

Oh, as far as the Oak Grove/North Davidson boundries, yes all of Midway will leave North, as well as parts of Arcadia and Freidberg. I'm serious, if you drive down Enterprise road, coming from the SHEETZ gas station, the kids on the right side of the road will go to Oak Grove, kids on the left will attend North Davidson.
If that was the plan then you have to consider that there is a new Superintendent and different board than when much of this was envisioned. Knowing the cost of expansion at smaller schools where many students would be moved I doubt this happens. As much as we all love sports it will be far down the totem pole in making decisions in my opinion.

Last edited:
Good point about the board/leadership. Personally, I'm not sure why they keep letting education get in the way of football (just joking before some people stroke out)!

Man parts of Arcadia also? Ouch. ND is gonna get just nailed from this thing.

Kicked off, your gonna get kicked off if you keep that up bud! ;);)

Reactions: ChrisDunn
Man parts of Arcadia also? Ouch. ND is gonna get just nailed from this thing.

Kicked off, your gonna get kicked off if you keep that up bud! ;);)
Oak Grove gets a good chunk of Wallburg as well. I think this will eventually be the largest school and should be strong in sports.

I hate to open this can of worms, but ...........I've heard every scenario under the sun on what happens when OG opens. Will existing students at ND be allowed to finish or will it be solely based on address? Anyone actually know what is supposed to happen once the school opens?

I hate to open this can of worms, but ...........I've heard every scenario under the sun on what happens when OG opens. Will existing students at ND be allowed to finish or will it be solely based on address? Anyone actually know what is supposed to happen once the school opens?
Initially the plans were that students would have a choice to finish where they started high school but that was many years ago and as I mentioned earlier administration has changed since then.

Letting the kids choose sounds nice, but I believe in the end, they will say you WILL go where we tell you, sadly.

Letting the kids choose sounds nice, but I believe in the end, they will say you WILL go where we tell you, sadly.
Should have clarified not always choose just those who have completed at least one year at their current school so 1st year of new school Freshman class would be by the boundaries.

So...A new HS is being built in the Midway/Lexington area.... ND 2AA.... I guess the CPC can finally get East Forsyth back in our conference and probably Glenn since Parkland is moving down to 3A. I'm good with this move...will miss North Davidson but have wanted East Forsyth back since they got rooted out years ago.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT