ADVERTISEMENT

David and Goliath...not the same ending.

Thatoneguy...

Feb 20, 2014
Christ School avoids the classic tale of the underdog in convincing fashion. R’ville did not end up with the fairytale ending but of course we were not expecting to. Like any fight against an obviously superior opponent we excepted to take a beating but like any underdog we wanted to get in a few punches before the bell rang. Of course the bell rang and R’ville fell 63-32.
The night started off on a high note with a kickoff taking to the house to strike blood first. Unfortunately that was about the only blood shed for rest of the game. R’ville proceeded to succumb to the problems of being a 1A. As we fought to last round after round our boys eventually faltered. As fresh bodies mushed onto the field for Christ, our boys stay drenched in sweat and whatever determination they could muster.
Christ School was the favorite and showcased their improvements on a team once accustomed to smashing them. However as much as my disdain for losing is, I cannot feel anything but relieved that our boys came out beaten but alive. We live to fight another day and took some growing lumps. The greatest takeaway from this schlacking is the clear advantage recruiting has against traditional schools.
Not going to complain about an unfair advantage because Christ School competes where they belong but in the age of Charter school expansion you cannot help but get a glimpse of what the future holds for us true 1A schools. We have already seen basketball championships be transformed into a meaningless blow out games. As these advantages creep ever closer to the gridiron; I cannot help but look at this game in horror.
Christ School with the pick of the crop on both sides destroys a team coping with a new season of players. Every year, schools like R’ville, have to manage ways of staying competitive and relevant. That is a lot to ask for from a school with 300 enrollment. That 300 enrollment is not a choice but an inevitability. With each passing season we have to worry about whose shoes are going to be filled. We have to rely on underclassmen ability to mature quickly.
I look at Christ School and cannot help but think is this what 1A football is going to become? Advantage schools having their way with schools that cannot physically match their talent. I for one do not want the football I enjoy become what I’ve witnessed tonight. I am sure I’ll here those against my whines, “get better”, “we aren’t doing anything wrong”, well I just watched my team take a licking to a school who recruits and builds from outside talent. What do you see when you look at a Charter school?
As I’ve stated before we are HOMEGROWN not RECRUITED. We go game by game and year by year. We do what we can with what we have. We are a true 1A and we hold that distinction not by choice but because it is our only choice. Believe me R’ville isn’t attracting big companies or chains, we aren’t attracting pools of talented athletes. We are growing our own every single year. We will give it our all and that is all we can give.

Last edited:
Christ School avoids the classic tale of the underdog in convincing fashion. R’ville did not end up with the fairytale ending but of course we were not expecting to. Like any fight against an obviously superior opponent we excepted to take a beating but like any underdog we wanted to get in a few punches before the bell rang. Of course the bell rang and R’ville fell 63-32.
The night started off on a high note with a kickoff taking to the house to strike blood first. Unfortunately that was about the only blood shed for rest of the game. R’ville proceeded to succumb to the problems of being a 1A. As we fought to last round after round our boys eventually faltered. As fresh bodies mushed onto the field for Christ, our boys stay drenched in sweat and whatever determination they could muster.
Christ School was the favorite and showcased their improvements on a team once accustomed to smashing them. However as much as my disdain for losing is, I cannot feel anything but relieved that our boys came out beaten but alive. We live to fight another day and took some growing lumps. The greatest takeaway from this schlacking is the clear advantage recruiting has against traditional schools.
Not going to complain about an unfair advantage because Christ School competes where they belong but in the age of Charter school expansion you cannot help but get a glimpse of what the future holds for us true 1A schools. We have already seen basketball championships be transformed into a meaningless blow out games. As these advantages creep ever closer to the gridiron; I cannot help but look at this game in horror.
Christ School with the pick of the crop on both sides destroys a team coping with a new season of players. Every year, schools like R’ville, have to manage ways of staying competitive and relevant. That is a lot to ask for from a school with 300 enrollment. That 300 enrollment is not a choice but an inevitability. With each passing season we have to worry about whose shoes are going to be filled. We have to rely on underclassmen ability to mature quickly.
I look at Christ School and cannot help but think is this what 1A football is going to become? Advantage schools having their way with schools that cannot physically match their talent. I for one do not want the football I enjoy become what I’ve witnessed tonight. I am sure I’ll here those against my whines, “get better”, “we aren’t doing anything wrong”, well I just watched my team take a licking to a school who recruits and builds from outside talent. What do you see when you look at a Charter school?
As I’ve stated before we are HOMEGROWN not RECRUITED. We go game by game and year by year. We do what we can with what we have. We are a true 1A and we hold that distinction not by choice but because it is our only choice. Believe me R’ville isn’t attracting big companies or chains, we aren’t attracting pools of talented athletes. We are growing our own every single year. We will give it our all and that is all we can give.

I thought the Black Knights did pretty well against the WNC ALL STARS....I have to agree that the future of 1A Football and Football in general is in trouble in the future....As you mentioned above, small schools are already having a tough enough time fielding a competitive team without some school coming in and taking away your best atheletes.....Participation numbers nationwide continue to dwindle as Parents choose to keep their kids on the sidelines....Basketball, Soccer and other sports have already seen the impact that talented charter schools with seemingly endless recruiting boundaries have made in championship games, and it's a matter of time before Football is also impacted especially at the 1A level....That could potentially happen this year as Mountain Island Charter has a very strong team that is putting up a lot of points, and the Raptors will likely be one of the favorites to come out of the 1A West this year....As always, I will root for our little ole' mountain schools, but the playing field is hardly level anymore....

Roar Tigers Roar!

Why didn’t we see any post when you guys killed poor north Georgia homeschool team and all the advantages you guys have over them lol . But I will agree boy things can change fast with the private schools I’m afraid Asheville school is on the path of Christ . I read they got brand new state of the art stadium and man their kids looked way different than last year. I hope 1a football doesn’t come to charters dominating with 50 people in the stands as football factories take over like b-ball

It’s ok, Robbinsville is a small 1A and got hammered by a great team that has kids from all over. It was expected, and happened. No need for all the RECRUITED, etc. Robbinsville scheduled the game, no one forced them to.

It’s ok, Robbinsville is a small 1A and got hammered by a great team that has kids from all over. It was expected, and happened. No need for all the RECRUITED, etc. Robbinsville scheduled the game, no one forced them to.
Wasn’t referring to Christ. Already acknowledged they are in the appropriate league. I’ll paraphrase what our coach Dee Walsh said, we have a hard time scheduling opponents and those we can schedule are really good. I am merely highlighting what happens when a traditional school has to compete with a team with an advantage.

I hope 1a football doesn’t come to charters dominating with 50 people in the stands as football factories take over like b-ball
You couldn’t be more spot on with crowd size. When your student to fan/parent ratio is skewed more to the students it clearly shows what kind of school you are. Look at what state championship do for small towns. The fans will desert the town and pack cars and buses beyond capacity. Can you imagine a 1A football state championship with 40 people cheering, half of which are students.

Do any of the local Asheville area teams schedule Christ School ? Teams like Reynolds, Erwin, Pisgah etc.

Hats off to Robbinsville for taking on the challenge. Some might not agree with me on this and I know it’s hard to find games to schedule but at least Dee has the Footballs to play them. I don’t want to hear Magnum brag on his local Asheville big schools and why the SMC will not play their elite teams when they won’t play Christ School who is in their backyard.

I think we learned some things.. we have a pretty tough run defense..we have several lineman tough as nails..No doubt we have 2 of the top 4 running backs in this conference. They both averaged over 6 yds per carry .Anderson must have been close to 275 all purpose yds.
I'm thinking we may have the all around best quarter back in the conference..he can run and is on mark with his throws, with almost 300 yds passing in 3 games. No doubt he is the toughest.

Last edited:
Hats off to Robbinsville for taking on the challenge. Some might not agree with me on this and I know it’s hard to find games to schedule but at least Dee has the Footballs to play them. I don’t want to hear Magnum brag on his local Asheville big schools and why the SMC will not play their elite teams when they won’t play Christ School who is in their backyard.

Can't blame them for not playing CS when their kids are close enough to commute there. Why serve them up on a platter?

Reactions: Gentle Knight
Got to watch the replay..Hard to believe it was 14-7 with 6 minutes left in the half.. Knights hung tuff..Very proud of them. A promising season lies ahead.

Lol I would say you had tough run defense when u give up 475 plus yards passing and 8 tds lol

Please every post we put Robbinsville guys bash or discredit . They just mad they finish 4th

Stop making all them excuses about why you lost and how small you are blah blah blah....suck it up and just say we aren’t the #1 team in America like you always claim. The caption should read” Dang we got our butts wore out” don’t schedule them if you gotta make a bunch of excuses. Crap gets old. Tired of hearing about 4th place R’ville and the reasons why it didn’t work out. Just suck it up and admit defeat. You sound desperate to the world.

Stop making all them excuses about why you lost and how small you are blah blah blah....suck it up and just say we aren’t the #1 team in America like you always claim. The caption should read” Dang we got our butts wore out” don’t schedule them if you gotta make a bunch of excuses. Crap gets old. Tired of hearing about 4th place R’ville and the reasons why it didn’t work out. Just suck it up and admit defeat. You sound desperate to the world.
Clearly skimming the paragraph didn’t work for you. Read it again. I am making a distinction about how schools with advantages can be detrimental to traditional 1A schools. It has nothing to with losing to Christ School. I am making a comparison to the expansion of Charters schools and how their similar way of building teams will eventually take over football. Goodness I didn’t think I would have break down the main idea of my post.

Last edited:
Please every post we put Robbinsville guys bash or discredit . They just mad they finish 4th
Wow for y’all to constantly call R’ville out for living in the past, you really hold onto that piece of history. It’s a new year and ok we might finish 4th, who knows, at this point there is no guarantee we won’t finish last. So you despise BK, well sorry he has a right to his own opinion and so do y’all. You can resent the R’ville fan base all you want but at the end of the day what does it matter. We got beat, celebrate and enjoy. It’s still a long season and I am still optimistic about our boys.

I’m just saying stop making excuses for the loss cause y’all scheduled them. Just give Christ the credit and move on. Anyways on to next week. We are all friends again.

Reactions: DaBluePrint1
Public schools shouldn’t schedule the advantaged schools... play less games if you have to but that is the only way to get the message across

Tiger, they are n't a and all stars. They got kid from different states and countries.

Very nice post..for what it's worth, no other team in WNC could touch them..

Is this a joke? Just because they beat up on some tiny poe dunk school like Robbinsville makes you think no other school could beat them? They are very good but rest assured there a few teams that would beat them. ACR would kill them.

Na Reynolds is scared of them and only want to talk about how much better they are then smc

Dude you're a Cherokee fan. Why are you talking about Reynolds when you can't even beat pathetic NB. Get real.

If you would come out of your bubble and your little conference out there you would realize that the reason nobody around Buncombe County or anybody else local plays them is because they are recruiting all of our players. Why would we play them when they're going out and taking some of our best? I hope no public school ever plays Christ school again. I despise them but to act like anybody from the bigger conferences are scared of them is just stupid. It's all about respect. You guys in the SMC don't have to worry about it because you're so far away from anything more than likely they're not going to come looking for your players, not to mention you just don't have the talent that they're looking for on most teams with the exception of a rare player like the kid from Franklin that transferred there. Again if you don't know football and all you do is see what you see out there you have no idea what goes on in the rest of the state.

Is this a joke? Just because they beat up on some tiny poe dunk school like Robbinsville makes you think no other school could beat them? They are very good but rest assured there a few teams that would beat them. ACR would kill them.

Dude you're a Cherokee fan. Why are you talking about Reynolds when you can't even beat pathetic NB. Get real.

If you would come out of your bubble and your little conference out there you would realize that the reason nobody around Buncombe County or anybody else local plays them is because they are recruiting all of our players. Why would we play them when they're going out and taking some of our best? I hope no public school ever plays Christ school again. I despise them but to act like anybody from the bigger conferences are scared of them is just stupid. It's all about respect. You guys in the SMC don't have to worry about it because you're so far away from anything more than likely they're not going to come looking for your players, not to mention you just don't have the talent that they're looking for on most teams with the exception of a rare player like the kid from Franklin that transferred there. Again if you don't know football and all you do is see what you see out there you have no idea what goes on in the rest of the state.
Lmbo

Reactions: Thatoneguy...
I think Reynolds would beat Christ School but I don't think anyone else in the mountains would this year.

Reactions: BK13T-$
I think the gentleman bashing the SMC has a good point.
You want ever see a SMC player on a team like Christ School 1. We play TEAM football not chest thumping look at me ball 2. We stick with our team mates thru thick and thin. 3. Probably don't have the talent there looking for but I bet we out work em. 4 not likely to jump in the first shiny car that comes down the road , everything I've mentioned points to morals and character. That's why we're closing in on 40 state championships over the years . How many does Reynolds have 4 or 5 ? Robbinsville won that many in row my mis informed friend. By the way Franklin is not in the SMC. And I'm in no way trying to disrespect the Rockets. Always a top program.

Reactions: Wildcat10fan
I'll finish my rant. Coach Colvin use to say " we're going to war look around this room these are the people that will be in the foxhole with you, your brothers your teammates. You are counting on them for survival. Let's go to war !!!!! I'd rather go 0-10 with my brothers then win a championship with a bunch of hired guns. Sorry for taking up so much time and space.

I'll finish my rant. Coach Colvin use to say " we're going to war look around this room these are the people that will be in the foxhole with you, your brothers your teammates. You are counting on them for survival. Let's go to war !!!!! I'd rather go 0-10 with my brothers then win a championship with a bunch of hired guns. Sorry for taking up so much time and space.
My thoughts exactly. You read my mind but Magnum wasn’t worth me explaining to him. I have got on here for a few years saying school pride and teammates and going 0 & 10 or 10 & 0, pride in community is something those guys will never understand. It’s all about self for people like Magnum. I’ve seen the SMC as a whole get on here year after year and support their conference teams in the playoffs and State Championships after a year of battling each other. I don’t see that from other conferences. He will never understand Mountain football

Reactions: bigoakbuddy
No Reynolds wouldn't beat them,they stole their best player also.
Disagree it would be a close game but I would take Reynolds in a shootout. If Christ School had a healthy Gibbs I would probably take Christ School but they don't. And they did not get Reynolds best player, Reynolds best player is there D1 QB. I saw some of the game film and the biggest reason you lost was not numbers/depth it was because your secondary got absolutely lit up. #1 ya'll couldnt match up athletically against there recievers and #2 like pretty much all 1A teams ya'll not use to playing teams with a legit passing game. Christ School would not be able to pass on Reynolds secondary to anywhere near the degree they did Robbinsville. Reynolds would score plenty on Christ School defense. Christ School offense very impressive, there defense was not anything special.

Last edited:
Reactions: Magnum45
I think the gentleman bashing the SMC has a good point.
You want ever see a SMC player on a team like Christ School.
Christ School got Murphy's stud freshman baseball player over the summer, they will eventually get a football player Im sure

And with all that said Robbinsville still has a good chance to win a conference title and make a run for 1A title this season. So this loss really means nothing in the big picture other than you can say you've seen a better passing game than any 1A/1AA team can throw at you.

Late in the Robbinsville-Christ School game the TV announcers said that a Robbinsville player had been ejected. I never heard an explanation or who was ejected. Anyone see what happened?

Guys don’t get excited about magbum. In his vast array of football knowledge didn’t he predict that North Buncomb would not win a conference game? Or something like they would get pounded? Wait I remember”might beat Enka, will beat NH but will get routed by everyone else.” Better check with West Henderson about that (31-6) Well they are 1-0 in the WMAC.

Last edited:
Reactions: smcdom123
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT