Votes: 7 58.3%
  • No Foot. There's just no way.

Votes: 5 41.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

footsoldier

Aug 24, 2003
Parts Unknown
After a 35-18 punch to the mouth by ACR tonight on the Warriors home turf Erwin players, coaches, and fans surely must wonder what has happened as they stare at a harrowing 2-4 record midway through the 2015 season.

Supposedly, the brutal non-con schedule would prepare Erwin to roller derby their way through the always impressive MAC and yet we have not seen this as they struggled with Franklin last week and were readily handled by the Rockets this evening. I'm worried for them. Would someone break this down for me? Thanks so much.

Scheduling the teams they did this offseason was not the smartest move. Playing better competition is one thing, but playing teams that you basically have no chance at beating wasn't the best idea. Erwin will end up getting a 5-10 seed and they are probably better than that.

If they finish 3rd in the MAC they will likely get a 11-13 seed like Reynolds did last year. 2nd in the MAC will likely get a 4-6 seed.

The more I think about it, the more it really doesn't make sense to go out and find big 4AA teams or some powers out of state to play for your non conference schedule. You could make an argument that Crest hasn't played the toughest schedule the last 2 years, but guess what? They have a 20 game winning streak or something and won a state championship last year and are ranked number 1 right now. Not playing 8A teams from Tennessee or Georgia hasn't impacted them at all. On the flip side, what does a team like Erwin gain from playing such a tough non conference schedule? They are going to be on the road most likely in the first round now. There is a very fine line.

The more I think about it, the more it really doesn't make sense to go out and find big 4AA teams or some powers out of state to play for your non conference schedule. You could make an argument that Crest hasn't played the toughest schedule the last 2 years, but guess what? They have a 20 game winning streak or something and won a state championship last year and are ranked number 1 right now. Not playing 8A teams from Tennessee or Georgia hasn't impacted them at all. On the flip side, what does a team like Erwin gain from playing such a tough non conference schedule? They are going to be on the road most likely in the first round now. There is a very fine line.

I agree. Most, if not every year, Asheville and Reynolds have a few more athletes than we do, however through preparation and game plan we compete, and sometimes beat them. I do think we are down compared to years past in the athlete area, however the majority of our skill guys are sophomores and juniors so I do look for improvement next year. However, Ooltewah and to a much lesser extent Science Hill are more comparable to Charlotte/Meck schools. Honestly, we may have 2 or 3 kids that would start at Ooltewah. I saw Crest play a few times last year including the Title game and defensively they were every bit that good. They laid hit after hit on our smaller young skill guys and I definitely think it has effected them. They are not playing with the confidence I saw last year or the first two games this year. After playing against those high quality teams maybe this will inspire them to hit the weight room harder in the off-season to be able to compete next year, that's the only plus I can see in this schedule.

Crisis will be averted next Friday when the Warriors make the trip past the 25 used car lots on Patton Avenue to face our longtime rival Enka. This matchup has salvaged our season many times in the past. ;)

I agree that Erwin is a little down this year as compared to the last 5-10. That non-conference schedule was very tough and it may have shook them a little. I remember ACR having a start like this and then go on to make a good run in the playoffs. If they can get into a groove they could make good run.

Last edited:
Erwin is not that good. Linemen who don't look strong and too many little skilled position players. WR #7 is the only decent sized player. Lucky to be given a playoff spot.

I remember in 2012 we got beat by Hendersonville, Enka, Erwin, Roberson, and in the first game of the season almost getting handled by N. Gaston. We bounced back the next year and spanked every damned one of them except N. Gaston who we didn't play. Having a total suck year doesn't mean anything. Now if this happens again next year and the year after that and gets to the point that players start transferring out of Erwin then yes, they are done. Right now in the MAC you can pretty much flip a coin to see who will be MAC champions from year to year.

After a 35-18 punch to the mouth by ACR tonight on the Warriors home turf Erwin players, coaches, and fans surely must wonder what has happened as they stare at a harrowing 2-4 record midway through the 2015 season.

Supposedly, the brutal non-con schedule would prepare Erwin to roller derby their way through the always impressive MAC and yet we have not seen this as they struggled with Franklin last week and were readily handled by the Rockets this evening. I'm worried for them. Would someone break this down for me? Thanks so much.
Not only that, acr also had 5 TOs. With 180+ penalty yards

Crisis will be averted next Friday when the Warriors make the trip past the 25 used car lots on Patton Avenue to face our longtime rival Enka. This matchup has salvaged our season many times in the past. ;)

I can remember not too long ago when Enka and Erwin didn't care about winning any games each year except when they played each other. It was like bragging rights for not being the worst team in the MAC. Erwin has moved on from that era. Enka has not. I swear with as many different head coaches and new offenses Enka has had in the past 20 years you'd think eventually they would turn it around. I honestly believe if Enka had God as coach, Jesus as QB, The Holy Spirit at RB, along with Gabriel at middle linebacker the'd still end up with a 2-8 season. Just pitiful.

Lol. Cmon Foot? Why are you killing my guys. We have the #1 strength of schedule in the entire state. We will make a fool of the next 4 opponents. Reynolds did the same thing last year and went on a tear after that. Erwin will be fine. We return most of these guys next season too.

Reactions: footsoldier
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT