ADVERTISEMENT

Clinton vs Midway Wk10

Darkhorse#34

Jul 30, 2006
Regular season finale for Clinton 8-1(5-0) as they travel short distance up 421 to Spiveys Corner to take on the Midway Raiders 5-3(3-1) in a Sampson County showdown on their Senior Night. Clinton coming off an emotional win this past Friday over St Pauls taking the driver seat in the SAC-7 conference but still work to be done. Always hear about how hard it is for a team to “get up” for the next opponent after a emotional game like that but doesn’t seem to be the case here as team seems to already be front sight focused on the Raiders and putting the finishing touch on a conference crown. For Midway what a story it would be on senior night to pull off a upset of this magnitude, not only beating the Darkhorses for the first time in school history but also forcing a 3 way tie for the conference championship.

Midway has had a solid season under first year Head Coach Kyle Stevens coming off an open week last time they were on the field they suffered a 51-22 defeat to St Pauls. They come in averaging 30 ppg junior QB Tripp Westbrook may not be Wyatt Holland but has had a solid season so far passing for over 1,000 yards and 13 TDs. The athlete to watch is #2 senior Trey Gregory who has over 1,000 all purpose yards and 15 total TDs. If you’re not strong defending the pass I could definitely see the Raiders giving you some issues. Defense seems to always be their achilles heel in their 3 losses they given up 40,44,and 51 respectively. If Midway wants to pull the upset they will have to score and hope to steal a couple possessions from Clinton reading about their past games this season they have recovered quite a few onside kicks.

For Clinton the Johnson led Darkhorses on the verge on a 4th conference championship in 5 years a huge win over a very good St Pauls team a prove it game in a playoff type atmosphere. Clinton comes in avg 46 ppg Junior WR Josiah McLaurin continues to impress while showcasing a rare combination of speed,shiftiness,and balance which has him right around 1,000 all purpose yards and 20 total TDs. Just like us with Gregory Midway defense better make note of where #2 is on the field at all times. Sophomore RB Josiah Robinson also starting to assert himself more in this offense his 40 yard TD vs St Pauls was a huge turning point in the first half of that game Friday. Clinton defense the strength of this team in my opinion led by a stout front 7 this is where I believe we will give Midway trouble. Amaris Williams and company will have plenty of opportunities to get after the QB.

All in all senior night and rivalry game energy keeps it close early but I see Clinton asserting them selves and cruising to a comfortable victory no disrespect to Midway but I just believe we are a much better team and should win handily going into our open week patiently awaiting the release of the brackets.

Fun fact about FAMU. Their campus is literally across a small street from Florida State’s. They share an engineering school. Noticed it a few years back when I took a road trip to watch the Pack play the Noles.

Reactions: Darkhorse#34
Scoring update Clinton’s Nydarion Blackwell connects with Jeffrey Arnette on TD pass. PAT is good. Clinton 7 Midway 0 11:16 in 1st

Scoring update long long long drive capped off by 2 yard TD run for Midway. PAT good 7-7 game 8:47 in half.

Halftime Clinton 13 Midway 7

Some of the things I feared seems like we came out flat especially defensively…..we turned the ball over 2 times 1 fumble and 1 INT coming off that emotional win last week you worry about how we would come out tonight so far we letting Midway hang around…….Midway didn’t do anything complicated ran right at us and are getting good gains working the clock shortening the game.

Reactions: Maiden Creek
Scoring update Clinton defense starts half with a 3 and out Midway punter bobbles the punt leading to great field position. 2 plays later Nydarion Blackwell runs it in from 15 yards out for his second rushing TD of the night. 2 point conv is no good. Clinton 19 Midway 7. 3rd Q

Scoring update Clinton’s Josiah McLaurin scores on 1 yard run. McLaurin does the honors on 2 point conv. Clinton 27 Midway 7 3rd Q.

After a huge defensive stop on 4th down by Clinton defense. Josiah McLaurin takes it 70 yards the other direction for big touchdown. PAT good Clinton 34 Midway 14. 4th Q

Clinton scored again on Jeffrey Arnette run. Final score Clinton 40 Midway 14…….made some mistakes tonight but they held tough defense made some big plays at the goal line which could have been a different game if Midway coverts….but like I said good recovery and we were able to capitalize and pull away late. Clinton has an open week next week so we will patiently await the playoff seeding…..Clinton wraps up SAC-7 conference championship ending regular season 9-1(6-0).

And Midway fans complaining about Clinton players doing backflips after the game🤣🤣
I was there but Idk what happened, but if anyone at Midway thinks Clinton players doing back flips was done just to rub a W In their faces needs to understand that has become a tradition basically now. After every game no matter where the game is at, anyone who can, does a backflip. It’s like our (Shelby pile on) just without the long standing tradition of it. Other than that, I got nothing.

Shoutout to coach tonight for a great pregame interview. He has his kids playing tough and they never quit tonight. Things are moving in the right direction for the program under him.

P.S. Shoutout to AD Aaron Lane, always treats us great when we travel to Midway. Thanks buddy.

Last edited:
Final thought…….Shoutout to Landen last night made some huge plays one on that goalline stand that led to the turnover last couple games he really has turned it up a notch from earlier this season. Westerbeek is finally back and I said earlier in the season looking at the JV that it was only a matter of time before Jayden got moved up he seems to be a normal fixture now on defense the LB depth that was concerning early this year looks a lot better right before the playoffs. And hearing Ryan McNeil was back on the field was good too. I think we go as far as the defense takes us total turnaround from a year ago when it was the offense carrying the team. Offense is still dangerous especially with a guy like McLaurin who can burn you at any given time but solid defense and special teams play has been the biggest plus on this team……looking forward to see where we end up next week. Go Horses

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT