ADVERTISEMENT

Cherokee vs Hayesville

No league is consistent from game to game. Not in HS, college or the NBA.
Well we have a problem then. The rules are set. The officials know the rules. The coaches know the rules. The players should be taught the rules. It's not complicated. You have 3 officials, they all should call the same. Yes they're human will miss calls. But from quarter to quarter, game to game why is it complicated to call consistent. If the coaches are teaching the kids to push the limits of the rules then they should not whine when the official makes the correct call. Some teams only complain when the game is called correctly and it ends up being a foul shot contest. That's not ticky tack, that's how the game was set up to be played. It's each teams choice to make. If you are going to play overly aggressive you stand a chance on any given night that you will be in foul trouble. What I'm trying to get across is it should be cut and dry, across the board for all officials to be on the same page. You can't have some officials on some nights let them play and then a different crew on another night call it tight.

Sam, glad you're baaaacccckkkk! I'm going to have to partially agree with you. The Braves will get beat every time if they let the Jackets shoot the 3's like they did last night. I also agree that Hayesville got away with MANY fouls. Braves got the hand check fouls called on them, Hayesville didn't. The older Cottrell is a very talented young man with an unreal game. With that being said I don't think all his dramatic "flopping" was necessary. I'm also going to go out on a limb and say that when the Jackets visit Cherokee it will be a closer game and the foul count won't be 39-12...unless Todd is on the court calling and not standing at the door.
Todd won't be there thank God! No SMH refs in our arena!

Reactions: lad0215
Time to move on! We can beat this horse to death, but nothing's gonna change! We lost. Got outplayed and out coached in every phase of the game! With a good officiating crew, we still lose that game.

Who's next?

Go Braves, beat Murphy!!

Reactions: coco_nut
No dog in this at all but I am a fan of great basketball. These two teams are the best in the SMC most years. I wasn't at the game, heck I'm not even in the state right now but this thread is great. Hayesville is fundamentally sound and athletic usually. Braves are freakishly athletic and very aggressive usually. I could be on the moon and pretty much predict those two styles without having too see either play over the last several years. It sounds like both teams will be the powers again this year as well.

I know the referee situation is dicey to say the least. I personally don't think the SMC officials have a blatant vendetta against Cherokee in every sport. In fact I think almost every SMC coach, player and fan would say that our officials are lacking across the board for the most part. But as Mont pointed out and rightfully so, these guys are human, and if you tell them they aren't good enough to call your games or objective enough to call your games fairly, the majority of those officials in their heart of hearts are going to take offense to that. Most of you would, Mont would (as he said), and I sure as heck would. Now personally if I had the opportunity to call an away Cherokee game under those circumstances, I would tell the booking agent, hey I am not good enough to call their home games, I would like to be exempt from calling their away games as well. Others might take the opportunity to "pay back" with a I'll show them attitude. Others might just look at it as another game. But for most, human nature would say that the refs that have been told they aren't good enough to call a certain teams games, might call a little closer for that team when they get the chance too. Sad but true. That brings me to the point or to the question: Has Cherokee helped create this issue or at least fan the flames of it by independently seeking outside officials for their home games? Not saying they aren't wrong in doing so. If they have the means and have thought it out and decided collectively that is what they want to do, they are perfectly in their right to do so. But when that decision was made it opened up the possibility and the likelihood of them being scrutinized and targeted even more in 50% of their games that aren't played at home. Just a thought for discussion. I wish people including officials could put pride aside and do their job the same regardless of the situation or fact you might feel a personal slight but the fact is most of us can't all the time, myself included.

All that being said, I was surprised at the difference in score. Not sure a 20+ point victory can be pinned on the officials entirely. Many of the braves fans have said above they didn't think it did. Sometimes the better team just wins and sometimes the better team is just that much better. Could have something to do with a combination of styles, talent, coaching, home court/field advantage, etc. I know one thing, Round 2 between these teams will be very entertaining. Good luck to both of yalls teams the rest of the way. Stay healthy and put on a show the next time around.

Reactions: Wildcat10fan
Todd was a former ACC ref. He is very experienced and knows the rules and basketball.

good point Gal durnit, i think without a doubt the flames have been fanned by cherokees refusal to use SMC refs. But, most teams arent good enough to beat the Braves even with refs with the "i'll show you" attitude. most years the Braves are only going to loose to one or two conference teams which isnt going to keep them out of the playoffs so how much does it really hurt them because in the playoffs they wont have smc refs. I think it actually hurts SMC teams that go into state playoffs depending on refs to be on par with SMC refs and needing those freethrow frenzy games

I can agree with that 100%. Only thing is in those tough games against the other elite SMC competition on the road, have the Braves put an additional hurdle in their path on the way to winning an SMC crown which could improve their seeding for playoffs? Regardless the Braves are a very tough out on the court and fun to watch regardless if they are home or away.

I will say this too...free throw contests are not much fun to watch.

We had teams that wouldn't come to our Christmas tournament cause of the officials . The two games both boys and girls lost in conference last year were away called by the same officials . I actually think Todd is a very good official its some of the other ones that kill the good ones .when one official makes 14 of the 17 foul calls against you and doesn't call any on the other team it's only human to think he has it out for you.

The worst part of the smc is you see the same refs every game and heck the fans know everyone of them by name. with asheville I don't know any of there names.

No dog in this , other than a comment about SMC officiating. It HAS HURT the SMC in the playoffs for a long time. It has badly hurt the quality of SMC regular season games for a long time. Lesser quality games have hurt the SMC schools at the gate for a long time. SMC basketball has been all about the officials, not the players and teams, for a long time. Those in charge of SMC officiating have needed replaced for a long time........

Reactions: coco_nut
that is a possibility but like i said before we would be able to tell if someone that keeps track of such things would post the box scores or foul counts from the non conference games this year. like kings mountain or AC Reynolds

In my time on this site, I have only ever seen 3 threads go this long where officiating was the main topic. Strangely it has been the same team every time. Hummmmmm!

Reactions: WATCHER-1
Cause it happens all the time or it wouldn't be a problem. When we lost to Polk did anyone complain about officials no ... When the girls lost to Reynolds or kings mountain .. No ... But when it's ibvious it's obvious .. It was called terrible in the girls game too and we won ... Like I said we play most our games and all our playoff games without smc officials and you never hear a word .. So maybe we have a valid point. Don't judge till you walk in our shoes. We have coaches who have coached all over the state and say they have never seen anything like it .

Cause it happens all the time or it wouldn't be a problem. When we lost to Polk did anyone complain about officials no ... When the girls lost to Reynolds or kings mountain .. No ... But when it's ibvious it's obvious .. It was called terrible in the girls game too and we won ... Like I said we play most our games and all our playoff games without smc officials and you never hear a word .. So maybe we have a valid point. Don't judge till you walk in our shoes. We have coaches who have coached all over the state and say they have never seen anything like it .

I saw the game and didn't care who won. He is my two cents, Cherokee committed some early fouls and then lost their composure. I believe they expect to get bad calls and assume that they are all bad calls. Are this talk about officials I feel bothers them they don't try to adjust to what is a foul.

I give Hayesville all the credit for just killing us and yes the kids get frustrated.

I don't really think there is anyone that is a basketball fan that likes watching 25 plus free throws from both teams . That's happens all the time in the smc. funny to hear from people who aren't from out here . but like I said our teams have played in tenn , ga , sc and a ton of playoff games and nothing is like a smc game ..

Well, I guess we're still beating that dead horse, so here goes. I want to get in another lick or two! Maybe we do commit that many fouls. If we do, evidently we only commit them on the road, at other SMC schools. I can promise you that our foul count is much, much lower at home games and at away games outside the SMC!! Go figure!!

that is a possibility but like i said before we would be able to tell if someone that keeps track of such things would post the box scores or foul counts from the non conference games this year. like kings mountain or AC Reynolds

Couldn't find AC Reynolds, but I did find stats for Kings Mountain. Cherokee actually sent them to the line 57 times. Hayesville may have shot 24 the other night, but one kid shot 22 for Kings Mountain. And that was a neutral site game in the Coaches v Cancer event, so no SMC refs...

Cherokee at Polk County

Polk shoots 31 free throws
Cherokee shoots 36 free throws

Definitely no SMC refs at this one!!!

So in the 2 nonconference games we have info on, Kings Mt. And Polk, they shot a total of 88 fts. That averages out to 44 a game. Hayesville hit 24 fts and they shot fts pretty well, so what did they attempt 30-40? The argument that it was SMC officials looks a little sketchy.

If the trend continues with the SMC officiating I could see more schools following suit and bringing in a different association like Cherokee did. That is, if they care about the affect it has on their kids and the influence it has on their teams' chances come playoff time!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT