ADVERTISEMENT

Charlotte Catholic @ Weddington 3rd Rd

CPC4LIFE

Jul 31, 2010
I guess Weddington is favored but Catholic is always a tough out. I did see Weddington vs West Forsyth and Weddington was very solid with a great QB(Budge going to Ga. Southern) and a dominant TE(Mauk has a Clemson Offer) which is kinda rare because he’s the go to guy; has an NFL TE body.(Kelce/Gronk size).
I’ll take Weddington by 10pts.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vik-Val 86
This could be a good game. Catholic has been playing good ball here lately and can present a challenge. But I think Weddington will prevail and move on. Of course anything can happen.

Catholic will have to play a solid, mistake free plus get a few breaks. However, Weddington has shown they are not invincible in two out of the last 3 weeks as they truly laid an egg against Marvin Ridge at the end of the regular season and could very easily have lost this past Friday to Chambers. Coach Capone has established Weddington as a solid, upper tier program year in and year out. This is also a rivalry game based on proximity, past history in the same conference and scheduling. Weddington has also gotten the better of this matchup in recent years. Catholic played probably its most complete game this year against TC Roberson but still needs to shore up a few things. If 3 touchdowns wins this game, I will take Catholic. If it turns into a track meet, it will be a long night for the Cougars. I also look forward to games at Weddington. Close to my house, plus one of the better high school stadiums to see a game.

The problem you get into playing Catholic with the games that I've seen is that they hold the football pretty much the whole game. You can go down the field and score and 9 minutes later they score. This one makes me real nervous for the mean green. They will win but it will be a good game.

The problem you get into playing Catholic with the games that I've seen is that they hold the football pretty much the whole game. You can go down the field and score and 9 minutes later they score. This one makes me real nervous for the mean green. They will win but it will be a good game.
I think Weddington is the same way, they had long- time consuming drives vs West Forsyth. They were so good on 3rd down.

Catholic’s ball control offense and that all world tight end will always give them a chance. I remember last year against Butler, they milked the clock where Butler only had three possessions in the first half. Butler was shut out that half. They will get you mostly through the run.

Weddington mixes it up well with the run and the pass. They don’t have the same quick strike ability like Rolesville or Grimsley but they are hard to defend.

Part of me wants Catholic to win because it looks good for the SW4A conference another part wants Weddington to win because that would be another war for Hough or Grimsley before they make the west finals.

Reactions: btango and CPC4LIFE
This could be a good game. Catholic has been playing good ball here lately and can present a challenge. But I think Weddington will prevail and move on. Of course anything can happen.
I guess Weddington is favored but Catholic is always a tough out. I did see Weddington vs West Forsyth and Weddington was very solid with a great QB(Budge going to Ga. Southern) and a dominant TE(Mauk has a Clemson Offer) which is kinda rare because he’s the go to guy; has an NFL TE body.(Kelce/Gronk size).
I’ll take Weddington by 10pts.
Mauk is not the go to guy. Not sure how you got that impression .

It’s been a few years since we’ve played Catholic. They were the “hump” we had to get over to be relevant and it took a while !! Conference foes for a while but no more. I think we both won titles 3AA and 3A while in the same conference. It will be another tough playoff match up for familiar opponents! Look forward to it !

Simmons has Weddington by 23pts.. I think it will be a lil' closer than that.

Simmons has Weddington by 23pts.. I think it will be a lil' closer than that.
Agree that it will be closer than that. This will be a dog fight. If I were a betting person, I would take Catholic and 23 all day long. Simmons model sometimes falls apart with Catholic. They traditionally don't run up the score and insert 2s and 3s when game is in hand, often giving up a lot of 4th quarter points. I don't think you will see too many 2s and 3s in this game.

37-7 Simmons is smarter than me. Catholic beat the hell out of us many times. I enjoyed this one !
Out of the games in 1A-4A classes Simmons only missed 2 games I believe. Both in the 2A West. He's pretty good with his weekly predictions. Coach must have lit a fire under Weddington's butt after the rotten egg they laid against Marvin Ridge because they're looking stout at the right time. Go Warriors!!! 2 teams in Union County left in the playoffs.

Reactions: onioncfb
CatholicCougs14 Once said "Dont mess with the Red Pain, because we will prevail"
I once did, a great season for our boys considering circumstances.
One thing of note, the average age of the Catholic coaching staff is 31. Excited to see what we can build going forward. Hats off to Weddington.

Reactions: onioncfb
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT