ADVERTISEMENT

Carver High School

demons04

Aug 20, 2010
Listen I'm from Winston Salem and I went to see Carver High School last week on their Homecoming against Bishop McGuinness. I must admit I had heard some buzz in the county about them but I saw first hand on why the buzz is around CHS again. They're currently 4-2 and 2-0 in their 1A/2A football only conference. They have a tough road game this week against Community School of Davidson. The biggest thing I saw last Friday night is that Carver can run the football!! They have the #2 running back in the state of NC. They are also ranked top 15 in the state in rushing as team. The Yellow Jackets have the vibe around the HIVE jumping again like in the Hay day. I'm looking forward to seeing how they will matchup this week against Community School of Davidson. I'm rooting for these young men and coaches staff to get Carver back to were it use to be.

The Blackburn kid they have at RB is legit.. he's helping to carry their program and revive it on his back. He coulda easily left for Walkertown or East Forsyth or any other school but he stayed true and much respect for him. Without him it would be much harder.

I've been following them closely this year and they've been fun to watch. Their finally have a competent Head Coach for once and he's growing the program quite a bit piece by piece. Being 1A is the best thing for them and they need to stay there. Back in 2013 they refused to ever play 1A ball but once #'s started dropping they had no real choice. If they ever go back to 2A it would be hard for them. Carver could find a real niche in 1A ball; they could be the premier 1A Forsyth program easily. That would be good for them. WS Prep is too inconsistent.

They have a very good shot of getting .500 and having a winning record and I hope they get it.

Glad to see Carver winning some games. A few years ago they barely beat South Davidson and now are coming back. Amazing how teams like Carver, Thomasville and a few of the others that have been playing in 2A leagues against what are now 2A/3A schools are doing well in 1A with realignment. It is all about the numbers, depth and injuries. Hope the RB stays at Carver if he is not a 12th grader.

Glad to see Carver winning some games. A few years ago they barely beat South Davidson and now are coming back. Amazing how teams like Carver, Thomasville and a few of the others that have been playing in 2A leagues against what are now 2A/3A schools are doing well in 1A with realignment. It is all about the numbers, depth and injuries. Hope the RB stays at Carver if he is not a 12th grader.
Blackburn is a senior and has endured taking the beating that Carver had to deal with and he stayed loyal to them and we can see why his loyalty is paying off for him this season.

Reactions: Slasher Killer
Good for Carver, but it’s absolutely ridiculous that an inner city school in a city with 200,000+ people is playing in the 1A ranks.

You can thank WS/FCS for that; they've always looked at Carver as the sore thumb out of all the schools. They could have avoided this 10 years ago if they had just repaired, or rebuilt Carver but they felt the need to build Walkertown when that area was crowded enough, and it caused this mess. In that stretch of land connected by the same roads it has Carver, Atkins, WS Prep, and Walkertown all in the same area and you can take any of the backroads to get there. We used to pull off at Frank Myers and drive a little bit down and there would be the road to these schools.

If they had done what they needed to do then Carver would still be a 3A now with McKoy as their head coach in that conference with Dudley and Atkins would be either a 1A or 2A. But they didn't so it is what it is.

He's in his finale year but he's having a good run. He played JV in 2018 for maybe 2-3 games then that goofy of an HC they had then moved him and he got pounded the next 3 years. I'll never forget we played them in the spring and we knocked the crap out of him, and he was feeling it by the end but he kept getting up. I felt sorry for him. It shows he much their coaching has improved since then; the HC got a whole new staff and they actually coach these kids now. Back in 2018 they had 12 coaches but only 2 coached. Shows a lot how a competent HC can change a program.

Their #'s will make them in the future or not. They finally fielded a JV team for the first time in 2 seasons so that's a step up.

He's in his finale year but he's having a good run. He played JV in 2018 for maybe 2-3 games then that goofy of an HC they had then moved him and he got pounded the next 3 years. I'll never forget we played them in the spring and we knocked the crap out of him, and he was feeling it by the end but he kept getting up. I felt sorry for him. It shows he much their coaching has improved since then; the HC got a whole new staff and they actually coach these kids now. Back in 2018 they had 12 coaches but only 2 coached. Shows a lot how a competent HC can change a program.

Their #'s will make them in the future or not. They finally fielded a JV team for the first time in 2 seasons so that's a step up.
You've made some valid points here Slasher Killer!! That's something that I watch closely!! This staff actually makes adjustments and when the kids come off the field they're actually asking them what they see and what they can do differently! I sat beside some alumni that night and all you heard were good things about where this coaching staff is taking these kids. They've responded well with this new staff and I hope nothing but the best for all of them. In my opinion Coach Griffin has earned the right to be the Coach of the year in this conference.

The Blackburn kid they have at RB is legit.. he's helping to carry their program and revive it on his back. He coulda easily left for Walkertown or East Forsyth or any other school but he stayed true and much respect for him. Without him it would be much harder.

I've been following them closely this year and they've been fun to watch. Their finally have a competent Head Coach for once and he's growing the program quite a bit piece by piece. Being 1A is the best thing for them and they need to stay there. Back in 2013 they refused to ever play 1A ball but once #'s started dropping they had no real choice. If they ever go back to 2A it would be hard for them. Carver could find a real niche in 1A ball; they could be the premier 1A Forsyth program easily. That would be good for them. WS Prep is too inconsistent.

They have a very good shot of getting .500 and having a winning record and I hope they get it.
Carver sure has fallen a long way since Keith Wilkes was there and they won some state titles. I guess Atkins opening up some years back and open enrollment had decimated that program. And likely some head coaches that were not very good. I think they were 3A when they won those state titles? So if they are now 1A that goes to show how many kids they have lost to other schools over the years.

Reactions: Slasher Killer
Carver was 3A when they won the State Title 1998 and 2002. If the kids that live in the Carver district will commit to the Carver Football. Chances are good they will return to glory.

It's hard to be consistent with low numbers.

I can only think of one school under 400 that is consistently putting out good teams.

Carver was 3A when they won the State Title 1998 and 2002. If the kids that live in the Carver district will commit to the Carver Football. Chances are good they will return to glory.

They had some success at 2a as well. They played Tarboro in 2010 in the state championship, I believe. Had some nice runs in playoffs.

If carver starts loosing again watch the fans turn on the coaches and blame them for it,it’s just the nature of the business at all levels

Pretty much. Casuals and fair weather folks are really fickle like that. I've seen it a million times.

Even if they do lose tonight they still have a great shot at .500. Next year looks more tricky as they lose this senior class; it will show how good the HC is at recruiting, Supposedly # building was his main success when he was wrestling coach at his previous stop.

Yeah, I remember picking Carver to win that game. That just shows you how good Tarboro was, that was a really good Carver team.
If I recall wasn't Carver picked to lose to Lincolnton the week before in the regional final? And as for that game it's easily one of the best in tarboro history. Todd's amazing touchdown run, his phenomenal touchdown catch, markell Howell with the incredible pick 6, and to top it all off incredible goal line staying by tarboro to seal the victory.

Reactions: UNC91
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT