ADVERTISEMENT

Butler loses 10 -7

Butler had a bunch of starters out. I believe about 7 or 8? But Eastmeck really sucks.

Couldn't get the passing game going in the hurricane, and not great at running this year.

Hokie who was Lemays back up?
Bivens got most of the carries tonight, and actually put up decent numbers. Davis-Pinckney (the starting linebacker who doubles as the other running back) is now lost for the year with an ACL. That's now 6 starters down on defense in the last 2 weeks (3 by suspension, 1 kicked off the team, 2 by injury).

Last edited:
Its a loss to a bad team
It's a loss to a very bad team. Butler has a ton of issues right now, and I don't think it's hit rock bottom yet. I'm not sure I've ever seen a team self destruct like this one has the last couple of weeks.

It was evident against Richmond the O line had issues in the running game. Losing Davis-Pinckney is huge. Big time player.

East Meck has a coach, Barry Shuford, that knows how to build. He was the first HC at Butler and took them to the regional title game in 2002 before leaving for Parkwood. He won at both of those schools along with Olympic and perennial losers. Bessemer City and Garinger. He is old school and that is not always the style kids buy into but the guy knows the game.

Last edited:
Even with LeMay in the lineup, Butler on offense this season wasn't going to line up and just run right at people. It's not that kind of oline. Pass protection has been pretty good, though, and the new QB had started putting up some big numbers, but there's not much they were going to do in weather like this.

That still doesn't really explain how they only put up 7 points, though. That was a pretty big misfire on offense. East Meck is OK on defense, but not good enough that this should've happened.

If some of the stories coming out are true a loss to East Meck is the least of their worries. Hokie do you think some of those kids will be back on the team before the end of the season? I know its next man up in Football but with so many kids out how would you see Butler finishing if these suspensions are upheld all year? IMO, Butler may have been the only team to really give MC a challenge in the Playoffs

Last edited:
West Charlotte, Richmond County, Independence, Butler....after Mallard Creek who will be the next flavor of the month in big boy football?

Meanwhile Shelby continues to be "team of the century" even consistently playing up in classification plus having the highest playoff winning percentage of all time regardless of class at 80.62%...starting to get my drift????

So I guest your pet pig didn't win?

So Dudley losing to Richmond lost them 10 places in the polls

4 to 14th

How far do you thing they will go down?

Because the majority of polls had them at #1 in the state.

West Charlotte, Richmond County, Independence, Butler....after Mallard Creek who will be the next flavor of the month in big boy football?

Meanwhile Shelby continues to be "team of the century" even consistently playing up in classification plus having the highest playoff winning percentage of all time regardless of class at 80.62%...starting to get my drift????

Hey, aren't you one of the MANY Shelby fans who wanted the current Shelby coach fired after he changed your offense from a run oriented offense to a spread offense? I seem to remember that there was literally ONE Shelby fan on the 2A boards that supported him, and it wasn't you. Now after a couple of state titles he is the next Nick Saban.:rolleyes:

majority of what poll had Butler #1 in the state?? I don't remember seeing one. This is there 2nd loss

Bivens got most of the carries tonight, and actually put up decent numbers. Davis-Pinckney (the starting linebacker who doubles as the other running back) is now lost for the year with an ACL. That's now 6 starters down on defense in the last 2 weeks (3 by suspension, 1 kicked off the team, 2 by injury).
I have seen my Vikings lose 3 returning starters off of their defense and it has made a huge difference, I can't imagine 6. Even a deep team like MC would have a drop off with that kind of loss.

Mallard Creek was down 2 LB's, starting QB and starting RB for Mcdonogh and there was a drop off but they are much deeper. Add to the losses terrible weather and a team and coaching staff that had to be distracted by the events of the last 10 days and you have a perfect set up for a upset like this.

majority of what poll had Butler #1 in the state?? I don't remember seeing one. This is there 2nd loss
I never said I supported them being #1 or #2 in the first place

Carolina Varsity, and some poll on here had Butler over Mallard creek and wake forest. Meaning ranked first.

And another poll on here had them at second.

Carolina Varsity, and some poll on here had Butler over Mallard creek and wake forest. Meaning ranked first.

Butler has not been ranked #1 on any poll this year. Period!

Glee1.gif

Hey, aren't you one of the MANY Shelby fans who wanted the current Shelby coach fired after he changed your offense from a run oriented offense to a spread offense? I seem to remember that there was literally ONE Shelby fan on the 2A boards that supported him, and it wasn't you. Now after a couple of state titles he is the next Nick Saban.:rolleyes:

Nope sure didn't. The issue was with the type of offense we were running with the personnel that we had. We had a mediocre qb with two incredible running backs. The last couple of years the spread has suited us better because of elite qbs and unstoppable WRs. Had we stayed in the wing T for just another couple of years in his first years we would have had at least one more state championship if not two. But firing him.....nope.....not us. If he felt he needed to introduce that then to put us where we are now....then so be it.

CV has never had Butler ahead of MC. There have been several that had them 2nd
I'm a little sad that you haven't been reading the report!

If the CV Report is what the original question was based on, then we won't know until games are played Monday night to know how far Butler will drop. They're at #6 right now, before those games are played. Wake Forest is tentatively #1, BTW.

There are tons of polls on just about every high school football site, but I think the only poll that's official is the AP poll. On one forum site, my squad is # 4, while on another one, we are #13. Go figure. And while I don't believe that most of the AP voters know anything about teams outside their area, I have always thought that their poll is the one that the association goes by. Just my opinion though.

Polls are not used for anything such as seeding by the NCHSAA. They have no official poll and no reason to have one.

Last edited:
Who cares about where Butler lines up in some poll. Like someone said earlier there are about 100 different polls in this state and none of them mean a dang thing. The real question is how long are these players going to be suspended? If they are gone for the year Butler's season is done. What if they get the players back right before playoff time after they lose a couple games. You could have Butler going up against a #1 or #2 seed and knocking them out early in the playoffs. Just something to think about

What if they get the players back right before playoff time after they lose a couple games.

That is an interesting conundrum. So these players get suspended for 4 games and then come back. Do they automatically get their old positions back? Will they be in "game" shape? What about the ones who didn't get into trouble and have worked their butts off to get Butler where they are, kick them to the bench? What about team chemistry, etc?

Don't have the answers to any of these questions, just curious how the coaching staff will handle it. Or even, how you guys think it should be handled.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT