ADVERTISEMENT

Butler at Richmond

Butter will go 0-4 to start the season. Who saw this coming?
I felt 1-3 but hoped for a split.

Can’t comment much on the game because I didn’t see it. Lawrence was out but not sure why. The defense played better until the end.

Congratulations to Richmond.

I felt 1-3 but hoped for a split.

Can’t comment much on the game because I didn’t see it. Lawrence was out but not sure why. The defense played better until the end.

Congratulations to Richmond.
I did see the coin toss and it looked like Lawrence had a noticeable limp on his right side.

Good job Raiders. 1-1 Let’s start a winning streak. Keep putting in the work and you will see results.

Time to worry, Butler.
2019 Palmieri leaves Mallard Creek and they decide not to stay inside the program and hire Stone or LJ. Instead they hire outside and it takes exactly 2 games before fans, players and most importantly parents jump ship. They start lightning up social media, suddenly kids are to hurt to play and by the next year a dozen kids transfer out.

It takes almost no time for a program to fall off. Ferbee might turn out to be the right choice but it gets worse before it gets bette

2019 Palmieri leaves Mallard Creek and they decide not to stay inside the program and hire Stone or LJ. Instead they hire outside and it takes exactly 2 games before fans, players and most importantly parents jump ship. They start lightning up social media, suddenly kids are to hurt to play and by the next year a dozen kids transfer out.

It takes almost no time for a program to fall off. Ferbee might turn out to be the right choice but it gets worse before it gets bette
Coach Ferebee is a great coach. He will get it turned around. The hire was high risk high reward. You are changing cultures, schemes, and mass coaches. Then you didn't hire who most thought was a no brainer and someone in the building like the prior hires.

Think we under estimated the scheme changes and their effect. Ferebee is too good of a coach and that staff too good technique wise for them to be down long. They will get killed this week then it gets better.

Reactions: 704Dawg
Looks like 0-4 to start. Beat Garinger and then it gets very interesting. Providence is must win! Should get by East and Rocky River. Catholic and Indy will be tough and most likely determine if they have a winning or losing record.

Coach Ferebee is a great coach. He will get it turned around. The hire was high risk high reward. You are changing cultures, schemes, and mass coaches. Then you didn't hire who most thought was a no brainer and someone in the building like the prior hires.

Think we under estimated the scheme changes and their effect. Ferebee is too good of a coach and that staff too good technique wise for them to be down long. They will get killed this week then it gets better.
Butler has been running the same offense for decades now. They have modified its some based on personnel. Butler’s offense tends to scheme people open with the misdirection and shifting while the offense Ferebee had was predicated on his dawgs being more talented. I knew the offensive adjustment would be difficult.

Defense was awful week one and better week 2. Hope around week 6 things should come together.

To Blue and Gold’s point I think Butler is different because of the tradition of hiring from within since they opened in 1997 which helps with continuity. They haven’t had a losing season since 97. What they were doing was working.

I think you hire out if it’s Sam from WC (Butler alum) or if Knotts or Palmieri wanted the job. Outside of that just keep it in the family.

Butler has been running the same offense for decades now. They have modified its some based on personnel. Butler’s offense tends to scheme people open with the misdirection and shifting while the offense Ferebee had was predicated on his dawgs being more talented. I knew the offensive adjustment would be difficult.

Defense was awful week one and better week 2. Hope around week 6 things should come together.

To Blue and Gold’s point I think Butler is different because of the tradition of hiring from within since they opened in 1997 which helps with continuity. They haven’t had a losing season since 97. What they were doing was working.

I think you hire out if it’s Sam from WC (Butler alum) or if Knotts or Palmieri wanted the job. Outside of that just keep it in the family.
Stone or Littlejohn would have been great selections. Stone understood the Culture and knew the kids. I doubt a lot would have changed with him. Littlejohn was not interested. Knotts or Palmieri would have stayed at their last Charlotte programs. Definitely no interest between those 2. Butler's Varsity could easily go 4-6 this year, with the JV potentially doing worst. It's already difficult geographically to get parents to relocate to Mathews. If they don't figure it out this year. How do you convince anyone to play at Butler. Parents are already on the phone, trying to find homes for next year. If Charlotte paid like SC, and GA the Aaron Brands, Mike Palmieri's and Tommy Knotts would still be here. 85% of the head coaches in Charlotte wouldn't have jobs. Six figures would increase the talent level of coaching pedigree.

Last edited:
Ferebee is a great coach, however, the culture that he wants to bring to Butler can only work at 2-3 schools in Charlotte (JC, West, & Creek). Butler has been Butler since they’ve been in existence.. Hire within, they do things the “Butler Way” and the community support in Matthews is probably only behind the Hough’s, Park’s and Kell’s of the world. In all, Butler is a class program but he just doesn’t have the kids out that way to do what he did on IBM. It’s just different on that side of town (Creek/JC/WC).

Ferebee is a great coach, however, the culture that he wants to bring to Butler can only work at 2-3 schools in Charlotte (JC, West, & Creek). Butler has been Butler since they’ve been in existence.. Hire within, they do things the “Butler Way” and the community support in Matthews is probably only behind the Hough’s, Park’s and Kell’s of the world. In all, Butler is a class program but he just doesn’t have the kids out that way to do what he did on IBM. It’s just different on that side of town (Creek/JC/WC).
Creeks a lot different than both JC & WC culturally, along with the community that supports the program. Ferebee would not be a good fit at all. I doubt he would get an interview if the opportunity came available. IJS

Creeks a lot different than both JC & WC culturally, along with the community that supports the program. Ferebee would not be a good fit at all. I doubt he would get an interview if the opportunity came available. IJS
Cuturally, sure. There may be a few more white kids at Creek, a few more ESL kids at JC and a few more black kids at WC, but they aren’t too far apart when it comes down to it. My point initially is you find similar athletes at all 3 schools. Real dogs. I am not doubting the fact that he wouldn’t be a good fit at Creek. Creek does an excellent job of staying professional. They wouldn’t put up with some of the stuff that Ferebee and staff did or marketed themselves to be, at Chambers.

“ They wouldn’t put up with some of the stuff that Ferebee and staff did or marketed themselves to be, at Chambers

That part! ☝🏾💯%

Reactions: bigdadd11103

Who is the OC there now

It’s not different on that side of town. Butler and chambers opened in similar years I believe and butler has almost always had the better athletes in football. What in the world are we talking about??

I also think it’s a disservice to Ferebee to suggest that he can only coach at 3 schools, I wouldn’t consider that a top level coach.

Stone or Littlejohn would have been great selections. Stone understood the Culture and knew the kids. I doubt a lot would have changed with him. Littlejohn was not interested. Knotts or Palmieri would have stayed at their last Charlotte programs. Definitely no interest between those 2. Butler's Varsity could easily go 4-6 this year, with the JV potentially doing worst. It's already difficult geographically to get parents to relocate to Mathews. If they don't figure it out this year. How do you convince anyone to play at Butler. Parents are already on the phone, trying to find homes for next year. If Charlotte paid like SC, and GA the Aaron Brands, Mike Palmieri's and Tommy Knotts would still be here. 85% of the head coaches in Charlotte wouldn't have jobs. Six figures would increase the talent level of coaching pedigree.
Relocating to Matthews isn’t the roadblock. Half of Butler’s zone is in East Charlotte with way more affordable housing. It’s all about coaching up and winning games, not transfers.

Same thing with Indy. McFadden is getting kids into Indy because they have East Charlotte as well. If Indy was dependent on mint hill alone, the surge of families moving their kids to Indy for football wouldn’t happen bc most houses in mint hill are now north of 500k. Indy and butler are located in the suburbs geographically, but their student body isn’t as “suburban” as you would think. Butler is only 35% white for example…that is NOT a direct representation of the town of Matthews lol, most of their student body and independence are minority students. Same thing with north meck, school is in huntersville but decent amount of kids zoned there are from north Charlotte.

All in all none of that really matters. Butler is just getting dealt a rough hand and that happens. I for one have been tough on this staff but we must take everything into consideration. They hired a staff super late in may, have one of the toughest schedules in the state with multiple state title contenders, and also have an injured starting QB. Folks are being up creek changers and dub c…all 3 of those schools would go 0-4 as well with this schedule if they were dealing with a back QB as well.

Since when is Chambers thought of as some power? They built their program in a couple years with Brand/forebee off the backs of residency changes that everyone knew. Kids stop transferring to chambers and their programs gradually has been declining…

It’s not different on that side of town. Butler and chambers opened in similar years I believe and butler has almost always had the better athletes in football. What in the world are we talking about??

I also think it’s a disservice to Ferebee to suggest that he can only coach at 3 schools, I wouldn’t consider that a top level coach.
Butler and Chambers have both excelled in football, amongst other sports but again, two totally (extremely) different cultures.

To say that Butler has had better athletes in football is a stretch. Maybe before 2014? Butler and Creek was probably neck and neck and had superior football talent. Even this year, is Butler even better than Chambers? Definitely have us beat at the QB position.

Butler and Chambers have both excelled in football, amongst other sports but again, two totally (extremely) different cultures.

To say that Butler has had better athletes in football is a stretch. Maybe before 2014? Butler and Creek was probably neck and neck and had superior football talent. Even this year, is Butler even better than Chambers? Definitely have us beat at the QB position.
Even after 2014 butler still had Benny Lemay play, Ratliff Williams, Clifton duck, and a couple other very high level players that I would put up with any programs “top” kids. 2016 all those kids were gone and butler still knocked off 3 time state champs mallard creek with Christian Dixon, the Cureton cousins, Davis Cheek and other kids. 2017 is when butler had a downslope in talent I agree but that is also the same time Vance was recruiting heavy and other schools were reporting them but nothing occurred. 2017-2019 chamers/vance had more talent than butler. Than in 2020 things went back up for butler and they lost to Grimsley on one play to go to the state title game. I think around that time butler and chambers were on par and butler had a few unlucky plays that went in the other direction while chambers was able to capitalize. Chambers has had unreal post 2020 though, credit to them.

Now? Butler has more talent than chambers. Like I posted under Nepsy’s post, butler is just dealing with some tough breaks. They hired a staff super late, dealing with a hurt QB, and one of the toughest schedules built around the city. Chambers would easily go 0-4 if they played this non conference schedule, especially with a back up QB. And. You comment about “real dogs” is hilarious. Butler has had some of the toughest hard nosed kids I have seen in Charlotte. Hawatha bell, Jahwan Edward’s, Deion walker, Josh Glisson, Benny Lamay, etc are some of the toughest ball carriers I have ever seen in meck county. So is jela Duncan and hood from CC. If you think butler fell off talent after 2014, super talented Hough is 0-4 I believe all time against butler and all those games occurred 2014 or after.

Fully healthy, butler beats chambers if they played this Friday🤷🏾‍♂️. Chambers don’t even schedule difficult non conference games they play cupcake nobodies let’s be real.

Relocating to Matthews isn’t the roadblock. Half of Butler’s zone is in East Charlotte with way more affordable housing. It’s all about coaching up and winning games, not transfers.

I agree with you 100%, Not in the history of the program have they relied on new guys to build the program. That's what has been so traditionally great about the program. My question is, can the new guys build? Coming in and having instance success versus building is entirely different. Also, watching them play on JV & Varsity, it's a lot deeper than a hurt QB.

I agree with you 100%, Not in the history of the program have they relied on new guys to build the program. That's what has been so traditionally great about the program. My question is, can the new guys build? Coming in and having instance success versus building is entirely different. Also, watching them play on JV & Varsity, it's a lot deeper than a hurt QB.
Of course it’s more than a hurt QB. They look young at LB and don’t have the difference makers there in my opinion. But a hurt QB is critical for a lot of Hs programs. Most programs even strong programs don’t have depth at QB. Who in CMS isn’t going 0-4 with that schedule with a back up QB right now? Maybe Hough? Is there JV qb from last season still there? He was a special talent I remember.

I think they can turn it around. They will probably go 0-4, then good chance they run the table until they meet Indy since Providence isn’t as strong as I thought they would be (smh that’s another story I had high hopes for them). Idk what to think of Catholic just yet haven’t really seen them. They go 5-5 I will tell you what, if they are healthy going into the playoffs no top seed in their mind would want to play them.

Like I said hiring a staff super late, the brutal schedule, and having to play a back up QB against the one team you were probably confidently beating is a killer. They beat Richmond if Lawrence plays healthy.

I’m sure there are families that will want to play for ferebee next season regardless. He came super late so no time this season for a lot of stuff. But transfers isn’t the answer. We all know it’s culture, weight room, X and Os. Of course Jimmy and joes matter as well but it’s butler. That butler/indy area isn’t really short on talent whatsoever, it’s been proven now 20+ years. Indy is 7 minutes down the street and west Charlotte is scared to play them based on what McFadden is saying 😂. Those “real dogs” from the west side don’t want to play those suburban boys in mint hill with half million dollar homes.

I don't know about this. That Benedictine team last year was loaded. Definitely not a cupcake.
I concur on that one. Benedictine just lost to Buford out of GA by 1 point. Chambers also played Highland Springs out of Virginia, who won a couple of State Championship recently. Creek is actually trying to schedule a game with Benedictine during our bye week, since our game against Cardinal Gibbons fail through. Neither of those teams are cupcakes.

Last edited:
Reactions: BoKnowsSports
I don't know about this. That Benedictine team last year was loaded. Definitely not a cupcake.
I agree with this, I stand corrected. I have no problem with that! They also played a good cardinal gibbons team a couple years ago I think to open up.

They still don’t schedule as difficult as butler and my main point without nitpicking still stand, I think butler would beat chambers this Friday if you lined them up. My other point still stand, chambers would be 0-4 with butlers schedule as well especially with a back up QB. I’m still trying to wrap my head around dub c, creek and chambers having “real dogs” while butler isn’t known for that according to one poster lol. There’s been times in the past 15 years dub c was comparable to garinger and Phillip O berry, but now they got more “real dogs” than a Indy or butler😂😂.

• Haha
Reactions: nepsy7
Of course it’s more than a hurt QB. They look young at LB and don’t have the difference makers there in my opinion. But a hurt QB is critical for a lot of Hs programs. Most programs even strong programs don’t have depth at QB. Who in CMS isn’t going 0-4 with that schedule with a back up QB right now? Maybe Hough? Is there JV qb from last season still there? He was a special talent I remember.

I think they can turn it around. They will probably go 0-4, then good chance they run the table until they meet Indy since Providence isn’t as strong as I thought they would be (smh that’s another story I had high hopes for them). Idk what to think of Catholic just yet haven’t really seen them. They go 5-5 I will tell you what, if they are healthy going into the playoffs no top seed in their mind would want to play them.

Like I said hiring a staff super late, the brutal schedule, and having to play a back up QB against the one team you were probably confidently beating is a killer. They beat Richmond if Lawrence plays healthy.

I’m sure there are families that will want to play for ferebee next season regardless. He came super late so no time this season for a lot of stuff. But transfers isn’t the answer. We all know it’s culture, weight room, X and Os. Of course Jimmy and joes matter as well but it’s butler. That butler/indy area isn’t really short on talent whatsoever, it’s been proven now 20+ years. Indy is 7 minutes down the street and west Charlotte is scared to play them based on what McFadden is saying 😂. Those “real dogs” from the west side don’t want to play those suburban boys in mint hill with half million dollar homes.
Uhh. You were doing ok for a while then veered way off course. Butler talent is not like Chambers talent and its not close. Chambers lost some great ballers and they are still relatively close in talent with Butler with those guys gone. Some were surprised at the lack of talent in Butler's incoming 9th grade class, and sophomores. Not sure if Indy is just getting all the guys or what. One thing that was mentioned was parents were not eager to play games/move to get into Butler as it was a much longer drive on 485 than say a Chambers, WC or MC which are similarly located on a hwy. Ferebee will get it turned around, but Butler definitely has a talent gap when compared to other top schools.

You mentioned WC. WC JV destroyed Butler's JV preseason. The JVs are a dipstick of your HS program. Butler JV also got destroyed by RC. This isn't just a coaching, or QB issue. Its an overall talent issue. WC JV may go undefeated and only lost 1 game last year. This is with super star freshmen/sophomores playing on varsity. Not sure folks realize how talented WC 26,27,28, and incoming 29 classes are. WC JV killed Indy last year too as WC varsity beat Indy for 2nd time in 3 seasons. Why would WC be afraid? Why would a team agree to play 3 of 4 on the road with no return in gate losing a home game? Make it make sense. WC is a big brand name in NC and if the Palisades game is an indicator will have huge crowds all year.

Reactions: BoKnowsSports
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT