Butler at Richmond

maddawg2020

Dec 19, 2020
Both teams coming off losses in week one
Richmond was a close one
Butler not so much
Raiders 28-24
What say yall?

I think talent wise Butler should win but it all depends how the team is mentally. We will see if they get it together or fall apart as the season goes on.

Reactions: BoKnowsSports
I hope for a good clean healthy game Friday for both teams butler will be tough and the qb Lawrence is the real deal especially if he has time to throw it.

Another year, another loss.......until the Raider football program figures out how to coach and teach 'Defense', things will not improve for the Raiders! Giving up 35 pts. to start the season:confused:

Reactions: RAIDERS2014
Another year, another loss.......until the Raider football program figures out how to coach and teach 'Defense', things will not improve for the Raiders! Giving up 35 pts. to start the season:confused:
Against 71st who returned just about everyone from a team that played in the State Championship game last year. Didn’t Richmond recently get a new staff?

Reactions: BoKnowsSports
Richmond played 71st much closer than at least I expected. Butler got beat way worse than just about anyone probably expected. Richmond over Butler?????

Alot of real bad defense played by tons of schools this weekend. Lack of contact real kills tackling in week one and two
This is bleeding into the NCAA and the pros, this is why you get db's getting shoved back and pushed off by RB's/receivers because they dont know how to wrap the legs up anymore.

The information I heard was the coaching staff didn’t watch film and left it up to the players to watch if they wanted to. Anybody with a set of eyes can see Butler was unprepared against Rolesville. I would expect a much better showing against Richmond.

Reactions: MagisterO
The information I heard was the coaching staff didn’t watch film and left it up to the players to watch if they wanted to. Anybody with a set of eyes can see Butler was unprepared against Rolesville. I would expect a much better showing against Richmond.
If that's true, then that's a recipe for certain disaster.

Against 71st who returned just about everyone from a team that played in the State Championship game last year. Didn’t Richmond recently get a new staff?
Just the head coach every one else is still there

I will say, I believe Butler will be fine offensively. I think they got pass heavy obviously as the game got out of reach. They're at their best being balanced, and I think you'll see that reflect better this week.

Defensively, it starts up front for them. Rolesville has an excellent offensive line, but Butler has players like Coleman and Farmer who can be impact players. Those guys have to play well to help the younger LBs and secondary.

I will say, I believe Butler will be fine offensively. I think they got pass heavy obviously as the game got out of reach. They're at their best being balanced, and I think you'll see that reflect better this week.

Defensively, it starts up front for them. Rolesville has an excellent offensive line, but Butler has players like Coleman and Farmer who can be impact players. Those guys have to play well to help the younger LBs and secondary.
From some conversations I've had with some coaches Butler is not as talented as made out to be. When judging HS talent we cant look at just the college guys but the overall collection of talent. While Butler may be an upgrade in school/program its a definite downgrade in overall talent when compared to Chambers. Right now Indy, Hough, MP, WC, and MC have better talent than Butler IMHO.

Two teams trying find themselves early in the season with surprise outings in game one. Richmond exceeded expectations against a good team but still came out on the short side. Butler endured a severe butt whipping. Sometimes even really good teams can get steamrolled on a given night. This game will determine if Butler had a really bad night or are simply not as good as advertised in pre season. Interesting matchup for a lot of reasons.

From some conversations I've had with some coaches Butler is not as talented as made out to be. When judging HS talent we cant look at just the college guys but the overall collection of talent. While Butler may be an upgrade in school/program its a definite downgrade in overall talent when compared to Chambers. Right now Indy, Hough, MP, WC, and MC have better talent than Butler IMHO.
The coaches were unprepared for sure. I heard they aren’t as talented as anticipated. Some talent left when Hales retired, some left because of Ferebee’s coaching style and clash then they lost some great players due to graduation. They had some guys play both ways. It will definitely be difficult year.

Reactions: bigdadd11103
Butter has always been a special program and an upgrade destination for coaching in the state. They've had the longest lasting culture as a team, then any team in the city. Top 10 program in the State for decades. They may not be as talented, but Rolesville emptied the bench like they were playing a 1-10 Hopewell team. If they leave the starters in, I believe they could’ve put 14 to 21 more points. No one in the State would believe any team could put 64 on Butler. I heard contender at the beginning of the year. I’m with mpj2k8, preparation was not there. If they did prepare, they’re in serious trouble.

Last edited:
The coaches were unprepared for sure. I heard they aren’t as talented as anticipated. Some talent left when Hales retired, some left because of Ferebee’s coaching style and clash then they lost some great players due to graduation. They had some guys play both ways. It will definitely be difficult year.
Know this staff. Think it's a great staff and they are typically very well prepared. So think saying they were unprepared is a bit harsh. The gameplan may not have worked but they were prepared.

Agree with the talent leaving and not being as good as anticipated. Butler is not getting the incoming talent in the 9th grade that they used to

Lastly this should be somewhat expected. When you don't hire the coach that the players want and it's a big culture change you can get shock. Liken it to changing fish water in a tank. You can put brand new pure clean filtered treated water in a tank and still kill fish. Nothing wrong with the water it just changes the environment. vs. putting pure water and mixing it with some of the old water THEN putting it in the tank. You get a more gradual and better result. Sorry for the fish water change analogy but it fits perfectly. Long term a sudden change is better but risk losing players, vs. retaining some old staff/cultures may help you short term but muddy waters long term. Butler choose sudden change. They'll be ok long term

Reactions: 704Dawg
Know this staff. Think it's a great staff and they are typically very well prepared. So think saying they were unprepared is a bit harsh. The gameplan may not have worked but they were prepared.

Agree with the talent leaving and not being as good as anticipated. Butler is not getting the incoming talent in the 9th grade that they used to

Lastly this should be somewhat expected. When you don't hire the coach that the players want and it's a big culture change you can get shock. Liken it to changing fish water in a tank. You can put brand new pure clean filtered treated water in a tank and still kill fish. Nothing wrong with the water it just changes the environment. vs. putting pure water and mixing it with some of the old water THEN putting it in the tank. You get a more gradual and better result. Sorry for the fish water change analogy but it fits perfectly. Long term a sudden change is better but risk losing players, vs. retaining some old staff/cultures may help you short term but muddy waters long term. Butler choose sudden change. They'll be ok long term
They might be a good staff and good people but that wasn’t a bad game plan beatdown. Butler fielded worst teams against better teams and never looked that bad. Now Rolesville can be one of the best teams of all time in the state but we will wait and see.

I did post that it would have been a difficult game if Hales coached because Rolesville was more talented in seeing this game in person. Butler has ups and downs when it comes to talent 2020-2023 was a upswing, 2017-2019 was definitely down years but Hales always fielded a competitive team.

Ferebee during the Chambers run always had the most talent on the field. It remains to be seen if he can do more with less.

My man, cut the crap. This team returned a lot from last season. The team last year beat a top 10 team in the country down in Georgia, beat weddington who won the state title, and beat down Indy by 2 TDs (a really good Indy team), and went 12-2 overall. Are you telling me they need Hollywood at RB and a top DE draft pick to win HS games???? I know it’s super early but it looks like they downgraded the entire defensive staff 🤷🏾‍♂️. I’ve asked on this board who the hell is this new DC and nobody can tell me 😂😂. He wasn’t even the DC when they won those 2 titles at chambers. Chambers was super talented but they had a lot of advantages like players coming from all over the city using different addresses that weren’t suppose to go there even since the Brand days. If they need superior talent than all their competition are they actually “coaches”? They have Lawrence who is better than any QB they had at chambers and they have a WR in currence that is almost unguardable in the slot. Also have some decent OL and a really good RB. I know Ferebee should get the offense rolling he got hired in May (very late) so it will take time. The defense looked soft and definitely out of position knowing good and well Rolesville can throw it, butler saw it last season.

Losing Stone for this current DC is one of the biggest downgrades I’ve ever seen when you could have kept stone potentially. Idk if he would’ve stayed as an assistant, but sheesh, this might be tough.

Dre Cannon is the DC at Butler, he was the linebackers coach on those championship teams you referenced. He is very well respected and regarded by a lot of people. Very knowledgeable and is a great motivator.

Stone is a great coach as well, I would say their styles are different and it's an adjustment period for everyone.

I do agree with you about the talent though, Butler has always kind of had the same level of talent the last few years. Speaks well to the program Hales was running.

Reactions: Wiseman83
Dre Cannon is the DC at Butler, he was the linebackers coach on those championship teams you referenced. He is very well respected and regarded by a lot of people. Very knowledgeable and is a great motivator.

Stone is a great coach as well, I would say their styles are different and it's an adjustment period for everyone.

I do agree with you about the talent though, Butler has always kind of had the same level of talent the last few years. Speaks well to the program Hales was running.
Do you think his work at Chambers the past two years as DC warranted him getting the job at Butler, which some would say is a promotion damn near (not in pay of course)? Or is it more on the merit of relationship and him having ties to Ferrebee?

The defenses at butler the past 2 seasons looked stronger than the ones at Chambers from my point of view.

Do you think his work at Chambers the past two years as DC warranted him getting the job at Butler, which some would say is a promotion damn near (not in pay of course)? Or is it more on the merit of relationship and him having ties to Ferrebee?

The defenses at butler the past 2 seasons looked stronger than the ones at Chambers from my point of view.
Absolutely was deserved. Chambers was still a very good team the last two years. Look at their playoff game last year against Weddington as a prime example. Their defense played them the best out of anyone that season.

Absolutely was deserved. Chambers was still a very good team the last two years. Look at their playoff game last year against Weddington as a prime example. Their defense played them the best out of anyone that season.
Have to pushback some. Chambers defense has definitely taken a step back since Hackett left. Chambers offense playing slow/control and punting made that score more respectful than the defense dominating. That's been Chambers MO recent years. Play slow offensively and control Game. Vs. more explosive offenses of prior years. This greatly helped pad defensive stats. Those Hackett defenses were on an entirely different level. You can't look at the Roseville debacle and remotely say they play sound defense. Unlike at Chambers they don't have the offensive style to protect the defense

Have to pushback some. Chambers defense has definitely taken a step back since Hackett left. Chambers offense playing slow/control and punting made that score more respectful than the defense dominating. That's been Chambers MO recent years. Play slow offensively and control Game. Vs. more explosive offenses of prior years. This greatly helped pad defensive stats. Those Hackett defenses were on an entirely different level. You can't look at the Roseville debacle and remotely say they play sound defense. Unlike at Chambers they don't have the offensive style to protect the defense
I'll have to agree to disagree on that one. A lot more to the story - send me a message when you have some time. Too much to get into on here.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT