ADVERTISEMENT

Btango

does d NCHSAA same football rules apply to 7th and 8 rules in football. IF anyone knows d answer please post it.

The NCHSAA uses National Federation of High Schools (NFHS) Football Rules, which are the rules 49 of the 50 states use (Texas uses NCAA rules). All of the middle schools that I am aware of in NC play under these same rules.

i know this is football season but i know of a middle school that practice basketball now all 12 players

If you are talking game rules, see my first post. If you are talking regulations (when practices start, when games start, eligibility, etc.) each school system sets those policies for middle school sports.

NCHSAA does not regulate middle schoolers as far as I know.

Massachusetts, like Texas, follows the NCAA football rules.

Ref4e, can you tell us the biggest diffeeences between NCAA and the National Federation of High Schools rules. Also, do you think it would be better to play be NCAA rules? I have always thought it would make fir less controversy and simplify the game a bit.

NCHSAA does not regulate middle schoolers as far as I know.

Massachusetts, like Texas, follows the NCAA football rules.

Ref4e, can you tell us the biggest diffeeences between NCAA and the National Federation of High Schools rules. Also, do you think it would be better to play be NCAA rules? I have always thought it would make fir less controversy and simplify the game a bit.

There are over 200 rule differences between NCAA and NFHS rules, many of which are relatively minor, but there are some pretty big ones as well. Some of the main differences are:
  • Running kicks out of the end zone (NCAA-yes, NFHS-no)
  • Blocking below the waist (NCAA is more liberal in when and where you can do this)
  • Offside vs. Encroachment (NCAA-defender who 'jumps' can get back prior to snap)
  • Intentional Grounding (NCAA-QB can 'throw ball away' if outside tackle box)
  • Penalties and Enforcement (NCAA enforcement spots are different...pass interference, for example, is a spot foul, but in NFHS it is 15 yards. Some penalty yardage/automatic first downs/loss of down is different between the two also. One big difference is that targeting in NCAA is automatic ejection if upheld by video review, but not so in NFHS.)
  • Field Goals (In NFHS, a missed field goal is treated exactly the same as a punt; in NCAA, it comes back to the previous spot)
  • Clock (In NCAA, the clock re-starts after a run out of bounds until the final two minutes of the half; in NFHS, it remains stopped until the ensuing snap)
  • Free Kick Field Goal option (NCAA does not allow a team to put the ball in play via free kick after a fair catch or awarded fair catch)
Actually, I think going to NCAA rules would complicate things considerably from an officiating standpoint. The NFHS rules are actually simpler to enforce and are written with player safety in mind more so than rules at the next levels. A big example of this is the new blindside block rule that is coming into play this year. Enforcing it is going to be a learning curve for everyone the next couple years, but in the end it will result in a much safer game, which will result in more players participating.

There are over 200 rule differences between NCAA and NFHS rules, many of which are relatively minor, but there are some pretty big ones as well. Some of the main differences are...

ref4e, how do you feel about there being no such thing as an uncatchable pass under NFHS rules? I understand it would add a level of judgement to an officials job, but it can be frustrating when there is pass interference called and the ball is thrown ten feet over everybody's head.

Great post ref4e. Thanks for the info. I agree that officiating should be kept as simple as possible at the high school level.

There are over 200 rule differences between NCAA and NFHS rules, many of which are relatively minor, but there are some pretty big ones as well. Some of the main differences are:
  • Running kicks out of the end zone (NCAA-yes, NFHS-no)
  • Blocking below the waist (NCAA is more liberal in when and where you can do this)
  • Offside vs. Encroachment (NCAA-defender who 'jumps' can get back prior to snap)
  • Intentional Grounding (NCAA-QB can 'throw ball away' if outside tackle box)
  • Penalties and Enforcement (NCAA enforcement spots are different...pass interference, for example, is a spot foul, but in NFHS it is 15 yards. Some penalty yardage/automatic first downs/loss of down is different between the two also. One big difference is that targeting in NCAA is automatic ejection if upheld by video review, but not so in NFHS.)
  • Field Goals (In NFHS, a missed field goal is treated exactly the same as a punt; in NCAA, it comes back to the previous spot)
  • Clock (In NCAA, the clock re-starts after a run out of bounds until the final two minutes of the half; in NFHS, it remains stopped until the ensuing snap)
  • Free Kick Field Goal option (NCAA does not allow a team to put the ball in play via free kick after a fair catch or awarded fair catch)
Actually, I think going to NCAA rules would complicate things considerably from an officiating standpoint. The NFHS rules are actually simpler to enforce and are written with player safety in mind more so than rules at the next levels. A big example of this is the new blindside block rule that is coming into play this year. Enforcing it is going to be a learning curve for everyone the next couple years, but in the end it will result in a much safer game, which will result in more players participating.

Just curious on what the definition of a blindside block will be? A crack block on a sweep, a trap block, or a guys getting a 20-30yd head of steam and wiping out a guy pursuing the ball? Also what about punt and ko returns where the return teams set up a wall?

Google....NChealthfulliving.wiki.. the middle school rules are listed there. You can also call or email Bert Jenkins from DPI. He is over middle school sports. I spoke with him about middle school 7 on 7's yesterday. He did tell me that local LEA's can impose more regulations but must follow at least those guidelines...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT