Reggie Lucas
Bob Colvin

Stephen Davis
Joey Price
Bobby Curlings
Johnny Roscoe
Chris Norman
Lance Ware

This is pretty subjective. What are you basing it on? Wins and loses? Building men and life lessons? I would argue some of the most influential and "successful" coaches didn't win many games.

I played for Tom brown, he may of been the best motivator in high school football. He could tear u down in practice to nothing and rebuild you to a world beater. He always said he wasn't best X's and O's coach and somewhat true but he was a hell of a game manager. He could kill the clock when needed with 10 min run drives. His teams were mistake free a lot because you were more scared of him on sideline than anything on the field 🤣. The man would make u believe you could run through a brick wall and then you did it.

I played for Tom brown, he may of been the best motivator in high school football. He could tear u down in practice to nothing and rebuild you to a world beater. He always said he wasn't best X's and O's coach and somewhat true but he was a hell of a game manager. He could kill the clock when needed with 10 min run drives. His teams were mistake free a lot because you were more scared of him on sideline than anything on the field 🤣. The man would make u believe you could run through a brick wall and then you did it.
I use to work with a guy that played for Tom Brown back in the late ‘70s at Maiden. What he told me pretty much summed up what you said. He definitely was a good coach.

I have to put on the list Scott Miller that use to coach for South Iredell. He took a struggling program and his 1st 2 years they went undefeated in regular season and his 3rd year they won the 2AA State Championship game. Also would add Bruce Hardin that coached AL Brown at one time.

Reactions: btango
Tommy Knotts
Daryl Barnes
Marion Kirby
Jim Oddo
Jimmy Teague
Bobby Poss
Bob Peroli
Allen Brown
EZ Smith
Pearly Allen
Jim Taylor
Tom Brown
Steven Davis
Mike Palmieri
Johnny Roscoe
Kevin Gillespie
Mark Barnes
Ron Massey
Todd Willert

Most of these guys I've seen coach with my own two eyes and some from the sidelines.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vik-Val 86
Tommy Knotts
Daryl Barnes
Marion Kirby
Jim Oddo
Jimmy Teague
Bobby Poss
Bob Peroli
Allen Brown
EZ Smith
Pearly Allen
Jim Taylor
Tom Brown
Steven Davis
Mike Palmieri
Johnny Roscoe
Kevin Gillespie
Mark Barnes
Ron Massey
Todd Willert

Most of these guys I've seen coach with my own two eyes from the sidelines.
Stephen Davis imo is the most overstated in the state…..the talent that guy has to work with he should be listed with Tommy knots

Don't think these have been mentioned but may have been.

David Gentry Murphy.
Jeff Craddock Tarboro.
Bob Lewis Clinton and East Bladen.
Jack Holley Tabor City and Wallace Rose Hill.
Boyce Dietz Swain County.

Reactions: Vik-Val 86
Also Glen Padgett of Concord was really good. Had couple or so State Championship games under his reign at Concord

Last edited:
Yeah he should have won twice whatever the number is he won……..just curious how many titles has he won?
Coach Davis has won 5 state titles. Overall record of 225-51 (.815 winning %)
2007 3AA
2008 3AA
2013 4A
2016 4A
2021 3A

I will say that Page hiring Coach Via in 2001 and not Coach Davis, was probably one of the worst decisions they ever made. Just my opinion. Little known fact, Coach Davis was an assistant coach at Page for many years under Coach Kirby and Coach King, before leaving for Dudley in 2003.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT