ADVERTISEMENT

Bailey…Scotland County

What lost are you referring to because I don't see it. Who did they hire
Cougar is correct. The thread is about Bailey interviewing for the North Myrtle Beach job. My post was they had made the hire and referencing the prior two coaches being from NC. Those two guys are still in SC.

Reactions: UNC91
I like Bailey ..... I think he has a great culture , there been a lot talent to go thur scotland and Yes he may not be able to get it done with state championship but Scotland is one of the better teams within the state , Be thankful for WHAT you have because Scotland hasnt always been this way , Scotland knows what it feel to have a subpar season so I like Bailey Overall , I would say he a Very good coach but just outside of Elite .

Reactions: drawplay000
Now I really can't wait to see what happens at SC. How many championships have they won? I remember one with Chip Williams after he left New Bern over the last 35 years. I believe Barnes won two at Richmond with more talent than anyone in the state had at the time. So.... was he really elite?
Barnes won 5....Not many can say that......I would call him Elite.....

I was honestly surprised Bailey didn’t go for the Marlboro job that last time it was open. I know at the time he was a few years short of being fully vested with NC.
It didn’t matter who applied last time..they already had their coach before interviews started…those interviews last time were just for show

Well now, this deal certainly didn't turn out as (many of us had) "anticipated," huh?
Best of luck to Coach McCollum

How long since McCollum was an HC, ten years? Has he been an assistant the last few years.

Looks to be a strong community, educational, administrative hire but not sure how the football results will be and at the end of the day that is a big part of this.

Reactions: Maiden Creek
I was told last year when discussing a position there that it was a terrible place to teach/coach. He may have dodged a bullet.

Oh they did him a huge favor. As I understand, it's a terrible place to work ... period. But then, maybe my sources are being less than truthful? Who knows?

Reactions: btango and UNC91
Oh they did him a huge favor. As I understand, it's a terrible place to work ... period. But then, maybe my sources are being less than truthful? Who knows?
I'm sure you know my source. He was there for many years. Before coming to our sandhills area.

The word I got was that Bailey was offered and accepted. Went to the School board for approval and the board denied him the job.

The way it sounds is that McCollum was several of the school board members choice all along. He didn’t initially get a 2nd interview hence why his name was mentioned in the candidate list above. Apparently a portion of the community pushed for him to be considered.

The way it sounds is that McCollum was several of the school board members choice all along. He didn’t initially get a 2nd interview hence why his name was mentioned in the candidate list above. Apparently a portion of the community pushed for him to be considered.
Last hire a school board had hands in that I know of wound up in a DWI for that HC.

Here's the story as I have been told from a reliable source. A former NC HC was in the running but he pulled out making Bailey the overwhelming option of the school/system admin and search committee. Bailey was offered the job, provided a contract based on board approval. He informed his admin with plans to meet the team. The school board turned down the Bailey offer and opted for McCollum who had not been in the mix after initial interviews. Small town politics and several members wanted him for the job. Why even have the superintendent, principal, or a search committee have any authority if the school board will not support their choice.

Marlboro plays Scotland the few weeks of the season. If you are Bailey and SC has a big lead do you throttle them for four quarters or do you pull back?

Here's the story as I have been told from a reliable source. A former NC HC was in the running but he pulled out making Bailey the overwhelming option of the school/system admin and search committee. Bailey was offered the job, provided a contract based on board approval. He informed his admin with plans to meet the team. The school board turned down the Bailey offer and opted for McCollum who had not been in the mix after initial interviews. Small town politics and several members wanted him for the job. Why even have the superintendent, principal, or a search committee have any authority if the school board will not support their choice.

Marlboro plays Scotland the few weeks of the season. If you are Bailey and SC has a big lead do you throttle them for four quarters or do you pull back?
Throttle and some.

I wonder how this affects his relationship with his players at Scotland? Much like Till at Richmond, Bailey was a finalist (hell he was offered the job), his team now knows that he had intentions of leaving. It’s a business, yes, but we’re also talking about 14-19 year-olds.

I wonder how this affects his relationship with his players at Scotland? Much like Till at Richmond, Bailey was a finalist (hell he was offered the job), his team now knows that he had intentions of leaving. It’s a business, yes, but we’re also talking about 14-19 year-olds.
I don't believe it will effect his relationship with his players. He does so much for them and they know eventually we all just want to get paid for the job we do. Bailey is no different in that aspect from other coaches trying to get to SC and GA to coach.

I think the players will get the fact that he has hit his time in NC and he is not really leaving them but moving onto the next stage which is make more money monthly and build another retirement. He is not leaving for another NC school which could be an issue but I see this as a bit different and I think he can explain it to them., "I will not leave AC for another NC job but I am working for 1/2 pay now plus the additional in SC is life changing for my family."

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT