ADVERTISEMENT

Assisting Runner

What’s to rule for assisting a runner? Allowed or not?
Rule 9-1
An offensive player shall not push, pull, or lift the runner to assist the forward progress.
PENALTY: Helping the runner (S44) - 5 yards

This is the high school rule...not sure whether or not it's allowed in NCAA or NFL.

Reactions: raiderstud
I’m pretty sure in the NFL you can “push” the runner or pile they are in, however you can’t grab and PULL the runner forward.

You can in the NFL. Philadelphia and Pittsburgh both have QB sneak plays where the QB is pushed by the RB. That’s why I asked if it was allowed in HS.

Reactions: Reynoldsrocks2
Not supposed to be allowed, but every time I say something about it to the officials, they tell me "I'm not calling that, No one does anymore"

Not supposed to be allowed, but every time I say something about it to the officials, they tell me "I'm not calling that, No one does anymore"
I saw it called two weeks ago.....and it went against my team, and I have to admit it was probably a good call.....what made me raise an eyebrow though, was that the running back's forward progress was initially stopped around the 4 or 5 yard line.....the pile kept moving, linemen kept pushing.....then 6 or 7 seconds later; the moment the pile got pushed across the goal line, two different officials threw their flag instead of raising their arms for touchdown....almost as if to say they would have let it go for a yard or two, but not for a touchdown.....reminded me of the basketball games where it looks like the official waits to see if the shot goes in before blowing the whistle for a foul or not

Rule 9-1
An offensive player shall not push, pull, or lift the runner to assist the forward progress.
PENALTY: Helping the runner (S44) - 5 yards

This is the high school rule...not sure whether or not it's allowed in NCAA or NFL.
I havent seen it called in years , especially at the goal line...

I saw it called two weeks ago.....and it went against my team, and I have to admit it was probably a good call.....what made me raise an eyebrow though, was that the running back's forward progress was initially stopped around the 4 or 5 yard line.....the pile kept moving, linemen kept pushing.....then 6 or 7 seconds later; the moment the pile got pushed across the goal line, two different officials threw their flag instead of raising their arms for touchdown....almost as if to say they would have let it go for a yard or two, but not for a touchdown.....reminded me of the basketball games where it looks like the official waits to see if the shot goes in before blowing the whistle for a foul or not
Last year, we were playing and the opposing team's RB got behind the QB and pushed him through to the goal line. I kept arguing for assisting the runner. After the PAT and KO, the whitehat came to me and said "After thinking about it, you were right. That was assisting the runner." Move forward to the third quarter, we go for a 3rd and 2 with a short yardage play. Our running back gets handed the ball. The QB pushes a defender off of the running back. Flag goes up. Yep, you guessed it, "Assisting the Runner called"

White hat said our QB pushed the RB so the defender was unable to continue the tackling process. I lose my mind!

I havent seen it called in years , especially at the goal line...
Probably, the most overlooked penalty in the sport.

Another one overlooked is Hurdling. Not many people know that you cannot jump over an upright defender. To legally jump over a defender and hurdle him is if the defender is horizontal to the ground or has a knee or hand posted on the ground

As long as the pile is being pushed and not specifically the run, most of these plays are legal. Where I’ve seen it called mostly is when the runner is pulled or even carried forward.

Last edited:
Reactions: tarheelg
Probably, the most overlooked penalty in the sport.

Another one overlooked is Hurdling. Not many people know that you cannot jump over an upright defender. To legally jump over a defender and hurdle him is if the defender is horizontal to the ground or has a knee or hand posted on the ground
That got called in the Tarboro, SWE game this year.

First time it was called and the PA guy said the signal was assisting the runner, I was like, we have ten guys out there assisting the runner.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT