ADVERTISEMENT

Ashley HC job

portcity FB

Nov 8, 2004
I have heard from 3 sources that hoggard defensive cord will be the next HC at Ashley. Coach Turner is a great def coach and I wish him well. He will be missed at Hoggard.

Originally posted by portcity FB:
I have heard from 3 sources that hoggard defensive cord will be the next HC at Ashley. Coach Turner is a great def coach and I wish him well. He will be missed at Hoggard.
If this is true I think this is a good hire and Ashley will be a winning program within 3 years.

Roy,
I am trying to wrap my head around this. I think Turner could have had that job each of the last three years. Why now?

T Roy C, he is going to need a lot more than three years to have a winning program. Watching them at the Jamboree and talking to some Ashley parents ... They have a young team with not a lot of talent and the parents said the middle schools that feed them haven't had much success either. I thought Coach Turner did a tremendous job during his time at Hoggard, but I'm like port on this one .... Doesn't make much sense.
This post was edited on 1/22 9:09 PM by Screamin' Monk

I think Turner will have this program beating the smaller schools on their scd in three years. He is great on the def side of the ball and that will keep them in a lot of games. I have seen the players at the middle school level and there isn't much help in the pipe line. So beating the bigger schools on their scd may take longer.

port, Is Hoggard losing a lot next year )players) and who will take over the defense or will they hire someone?

Hoggard loses both off guards and tackles. They loose QB, RB, WR on offense. They return the center both TE, 3 WR and FB. On def they loose 2 DL and MLB, 2 in the secondary. They should be good again on def. QB will be their biggest concern. Word is X Johnson will return at QB. Replacing the O line too. The JV O line were not very big last year.
Underwood will prob take over the def. He should be fine and Braswell may be more involved with the def as well. He was DC at West Charlotte when he was there.

Originally posted by Diamonds are forever:

Does X Johnson have T Singleton's cell phone number?
I feel X made a big mistake not playing FB last season. He could have learnd a lot and been much better prepared for his senior season. He will have to earn that spot. Sasser and the JV QB will work their butts off this offseason and hopefully grow and get stronger. X can move and has a great arm but their are plenty of guys that can do that and that doesn't make you a great QB. We will see.

Originally posted by wildcatfan78:
Port,
Who would have started if X had played this year?
He would have split time like they did his soph season. I would have started Austin.

Was wondering the same thing. Hope this means Bras is coming back from his health issues, because don't think Turner would leave if he wasn't sure about that but could be wrong. When I say a winning team I think a 6-5 or 7-4 type team. I don't think they will compete against Hoggard or Hanover anytime soon if ever. Was told since Ashley's inception they are 1-27 against the 2 schools and I know they've never beat Hoggard. Just thinking Turner will bring a very positive and new energy that program needs. Hope X does play next year and agree not playing this year probably hurt him quite a bit.

Why is everyone so stuck on 3 years to turn the program around? Every post is saying 3 years and he will have them winning. What a short sighted, mediocrity laden train of thought.

What about the seniors and juniors? Is going to get them playing lights out by telling them that Ashley will start winning 3 years from now? Hopefully he has higher aspirations than that.

There have been lots of programs turned around in the first year of new regime........and I mean BAD programs.

Best of luck to Ashley and hopefully the new coaching staff is not on a "3 year plan".

Originally posted by bubbafine:

Why is everyone so stuck on 3 years to turn the program around? Every post is saying 3 years and he will have them winning. What a short sighted, mediocrity laden train of thought.

What about the seniors and juniors? Is going to get them playing lights out by telling them that Ashley will start winning 3 years from now? Hopefully he has higher aspirations than that.

There have been lots of programs turned around in the first year of new regime........and I mean BAD programs.

Best of luck to Ashley and hopefully the new coaching staff is not on a "3 year plan".
I can see AHS being much better year 1. I can see them beating the smaller schools that they have not beaten consistently in the past. It will take a while before they will compete for a conf championship. I don't care if who coaches them, there isn't much talent there.

Originally posted by ct147:

HOW YOU DOING T ROY.
Doing well. I think I was up in your neck off the woods a few weeks ago for company business in Elmira NY..Gotta be the coldest dang place on the planet.

Originally posted by bubbafine:

Coach Turner is that you??/ LOL. Please share with me the lots of BAD programs that have turned around in the first year of a new regime. I can think of South View the 1st year Poss took over. Seems like one time Garinger went from woeful-losing around 50 in a row to a playoff team 4-5 years ago. Please share any others....and with that said I want Ashley to succeed, but realistically a school with one winning season and one playoff win in it's 14 year history is gonna take time to build. I would bet all my worldly possessionss that Ashley does not have a winning season next year unless the non-conference sched is East Columbus, Dixon, Trask and Jones Sr (no offense to those schools).
This post was edited on 3/12 3:47 PM by T Roy C

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT