ADVERTISEMENT

Alleghany vs Bishop

If the game is played, and we will both be surprised if it is, I want to wish you guys safe travels and good luck. Are you going to get to come to the game Dave. I will be there, and if you are looking for me, I will be the one with the great big smile if we win and the equally big frown if we lose. Hope they get to play and until we get to I guess all we can do is feed the snake.
SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

WS/FC schools will decide by 10 am today if they are going to let basketball games be played today. It was announced that all other after school activities are cancelled. Other sports will be allowed to practice on Saturday.

I know last year they let some teams play after school had been cancelled.
This post was edited on 2/27 8:35 AM by Sportsnut17

WSFC Schools won't allow games in the county today, so Bishop/Atkins is postponed, but Bishop/Alleghany WILL be played at 5pm.

That is wild. Can't play in forsythe county but can travel up to the mtns to play

Originally posted by sbbbfan:
That is wild. Can't play in forsythe county but can travel up to the mtns to play
That is Bishops decision, not WS/FC schools. That is why the Atkins/Bishop girls game is not being played tonight because it involves a WS/FC school.

smart decision to play gives winner extra day of prep for ws prep since ws prep isnt allowed to play today.

Alleghany 28
Bishop 19
Halftime

Fabian Santos with 17 first half points for the Trojans.
Spencer Wilson with 8 for Bishop.

This post was edited on 2/27 5:33 PM by knights4

Originally posted by knights4:
Alleghany 28
Bishop 19
Halftime

Fabian Santos with 17 first half points for the Trojans.
Spencer Wilson with 8 for Bishop.

This post was edited on 2/27 5:33 PM by knights4
update?

We got ws prep next unfortunately but hey starmount has east surry should be 2 good ones.

Alleghany shook off the rust faster than Bishop did and built a pretty good sized lead early on (12 I think). Once Bishop warmed up it was a pretty even game, Wilson even got Bishop within 3 late, but the team ran out of gas. Give Alleghany a lot of credit, they were in sync despite the time off and responded well when Bishop pushed them to the edge.

It'll be interesting to see how they match up with Prep on Monday.

Dave you have saw both teams play. I am curious to get your opinion on how that match up will look. I know prep is going to want to play fast and in the open floor and we are going to do everything that we can to make a half court game of it. How do you see it working out. Please don't sugar coat it, tell it like you see it. I have really thick skin.

In regards to your statement about Bishop having better individual players, and Alleghany having a better team, my assessment after seeing them on the court is this. Spencer Wilson was a really special looking player tonight. He is a great guard and very hard to contain especially the way the coach gives him the constant green light. However, and this is just my opinion, there was very little comparison between the big guys. Santos and Hash 25 and 10 versus Gardner and Woods with 8 and 2 was a major mismatch in my opinion in Alleghanys favor. Of course some of that can be attributed to the fact that Alleghany played a much more team oriented attack with the ball being fed to the bigs while Bishop was just kind of Wilson oriented.

And wow was that game physical or what. Thought the refs kinda lost control of that one.

For Alleghany to knock off Prep a few things will have to happen.

1. Alleghany can not go down there intimidated by the gym and atmosphere.
2. Alleghany must make this a half court game, which means the guards have to be able to handle Prep's speed and pressure.
3. Alleghany must rebound better than Prep.
4. Alleghany's post players must play better than Preps. In the loss against East Surry and Mount Airy, the post players for both of those teams just simply out played and dominated Preps post players. In Preps wins against those 2 teams, Prep's post players were the better players.

Thanks for that NC. Your game plan will sound very similar to the one the one coach McKnight will try to implement. The key to beating them is make them play our style. It will really be a battle of wills and whichever will is stonger will win the game. For my Trojans to be successful, they will have to control the tempo. Eventually someone will put a stop to their run, heck it might as well be my Trojans as someone else.

Wilson was himself tonight which was great to see. He deserved better this season, but it is what it is. He's a special kid and Belmont Abbey is going to be lucky to have him. Santos and Hash thoroughly outplayed Gardner and Woods, no question.

Like we talked about before, the chemistry factor was going to play a major role and it did. Bishop was not in sync from the word go and it had less to do with the layoff than it did the fact that the full roster hadn't played together at all, so they were overly reliant on Wilson to create everything. That left Gardner and Woods more or less standing around on the offensive end. Those two are better than they showed tonight, but the playoffs are no place to be ironing out the kinks.

As for the Prep game, it'll be an interesting affair. Alleghany will definitely provide them with some problems because of their strength around the hoop. Prep is not nearly as big or active around the hoop as they've been with the exception of Williams, who tends to run hot & cold depending on the game.

However, Prep is going to cause Alleghany REAL issues on the perimeter. Prep utilizes a young, but lightning quick three guard lineup with Williamson (Fr), Goodloe (Fr) and Hollingsworth (Sr). They're all essentially the same player: great handles, devastating first step, finish in traffic well.

For Alleghany to hang in that game they can't allow Prep to dictate the tempo. If it becomes an up and down affair with a lot of turnovers and run outs, they'll run you right out of Winston-Salem. If you can keep the pace down and make them execute in the half court (not their forte), you'll be in it in the fourth.

Prep is a solid favorite and I'd probably expect them to win by 7-10.

Okay Dave, I have this printed out and stuck on my refrigerator. You have another chance to earn your stripes as a talent evaluator. Just kidding of course. I had the opportunity to watch them play. Found their bigs to be big and active, they love to block shots. The team that we watched them play had a bunch of guards on the floor so it is difficult to know how they play against other teams with size. They ended up blowing North Stokes out, but to be honest, it was an 8 point game in the 4th qtr before NS gave up and Prep turned the heat up on them. Talk about a team that will kick you when they get you down, they sure poured the coal to their conference opponent in the 4th qtr. Their guards are really quick and active. They like to drive and finish pretty well at the rim, but their perimeter game was below average putting it nicely. To your point about half court execution, Of the 70 points that they scored against NS before the ends of the bench were brought in, they made 2 3's and 1 shot that was about 17 feet. Other than that, there points came in transition and putt backs against a team whose tallest player was 6 foot. They are still a good team, but they are not what they have been in the past. We are taking the python with us, but he may not be able to get out of the cage (LOL). I expect it to be a very competitive game if we control the tempo, and if we do this I actually expect us to beat them based on what I have saw. However, if it turns into an open court game, I am afraid it will not be pretty.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT