ADVERTISEMENT

Alleghany 53 North Wilkes 17

Illuminati704

Apr 5, 2013
Wow. I know North Wilkes isn't very good but to hold a team to 17 points is impressive. Alleghany played 4A Davie yesterday but haven't found a score. Looks like the Trojans picked up where they left off from last season.

Other boy scores from around the mvac,

West Wilkes 70 Elkin 43
Wilkes Central 74 East Wilkes 41
Starmount 72 Ashe 58

AND this is what I have for standings,

Alleghany 3-0 1-0 conference
Starmount 2-0 2-0 conference
West Wilkes 6-3 2-0 conference
Wilkes Central 5-3 2-0 conference
Ashe County 2-4 0-1 conference
Elkin 1-8 0-1 conference
East Wilkes 1-9 0-2 conference
North Wilkes 0-9 0-2 conference

Sorry illuminati but the Davie game was postponed. Davie was afraid to wait until Saturday morning to make a decision based on the weather. They pulled the plug on Friday. I have no idea if or when it will be played. Really unfortunate that they wanted to postpone the game because the weather ended up being a non factor.

I think the MVC will have 4 or 5 good teams this year. Alleghany is definetly better but others appear to be better as well. The Surry Central game was played with 2 days practice, and the grayson and North games were played with the regulars getting about half their normal time. How good will the Trojans be when the time comes? We will have to wait and see, but they are certainly showing a propensity to guard the other team so far.

That is unfortunate. It would have been a really good test for your team.

I agree there are 4 teams that look pretty good with Alleghany, West, Central, and Starmount.

West has lost to 3 good teams in North Iredell, West Stokes, and Bunker Hill. They bring back some top talent after a surprising year last season. Central lost to Surry Central in the 1st game of the season after blowing a 17 point lead and Watauga twice. They've also beaten North Iredell which is a good 3A team. Not sure how good they actually are but I know they will play good defense and have athleticism. Starmount returns almost their entire team. They've only played twice, against Elkin and Ashe but winning against teams that had a head start could bode well for them.

Ashe did surprisingly beat Watauga at home once in a close game but other than that it hasn't looked good. I talked to a friend up there and according to him it is a coaching issue and not a talent one. Not expecting much from East, North or Elkin. Elkin does have a fantastic athlete in the King kid (I believe he already has a 40 point game) but he won't be enough to beat the upper echelon of teams.

Should be an exciting year. What are your thoughts, Alleghany84?

Don't rest on Ashe. They did lay an egg against Starmount at home, but I think they will end up being just fine. They have lots of experienced wing players and some legitimate big kids inside. Their size is young and with that will come inconsistency. but I actually expect them to be better than Central. And unlike some of the things that you hear, I think Scott Grubb is one of the best coaches in the conference.

Starmount and West are two distinctly different teams. West will as usual be smaller than most with good perimeter play. They want to play in the full court. Starmount has a couple of good big guys, with Skylar Gregory being real good, and then they have the Ashley kid who is a big time player. Supporting cast is better than most. Both teams play hard, and want to play fast. They want to play in the 70's.

Alleghany returned everybody except their point guard. They have 2 sophomore point guards that appear to be way way ahead of where you might have expected them to be at this point. They are both good team defenders, and can score if given the opportunity. I think their natural offensive ability give the Trojans a weapon that might have been missing last year. Sprinkle and Santos need no introduction, and Avery Hash is much more aggressive on the offensive end. Alleghany is deeper than they were last year. They can play in the 70's but would rather beat you in the 50's by playing in the half court and making you guard their bigs.

Obviously I am biased but I am expecting the Trojans to come out on top when it is all said and done. I would have a lot of trouble picking the team that I thought would finish ahead of them at this point. I really expect their biggest threat to be Starmount.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT