ADVERTISEMENT

All-time top 2A teams

I have a friend from down that way who said his father played in that game. Said it was COLD!
very very cpld up in those mountains. That was during the day they played state championship bgames at the high schools. the association would alternate east/west locations from year to year. there were no seeds back then. brackets and the home location was much more random.. I'm not so sure it wasn't better. There was no argument with random, they played them as they came.

When Thomasville was 2A they were pretty stout... 88 91 and 95. They also played Eastern Randolph for the 3A title in 83 before dropping down...
They were 2A from 85-96 and in that time appeared in 5 state championship games and 7 western finals. They did go 2A again from 2009-2020 and went to the western finals once and deep in the playoffs those first few years before Brown retired. I still say that stretch from 85-96 is one of the more dominant stretches in 2A.

Another great topic would be the most dominant all-time 2A player...lots of great athletes to choose from...
When you say dominant I think Antonio Goss from Randleman is in the mix. Did not come off the field. Running back, solo safety, punter, kicker (KO and PAT), KO and punt return. Big, strong, and fast. Hard to stop from the tailback position and when he came up on D to make a tackle it was nasty.

Did any of the old timers see WRH's Jimmy Jerome play? South Stanly played them in the playoffs and South's coach told me he could do it all and did it well. That was 55 years ago and a different time but he was impressive at UNC, also. All ACC at wingback and backed up at numerous positions.

Did any of the old timers see WRH's Jimmy Jerome play? South Stanly played them in the playoffs and South's coach told me he could do it all and did it well. That was 55 years ago and a different time but he was impressive at UNC, also. All ACC at wingback and backed up at numerous positions.
I saw most all of Jimmy Jerome's games. I was 12 yrs old when he was a senior. Wrh lost to South Stanley 14-6, in the regional finals that year. Jerome did not play that game though, due to injury. All the wrh faithful are sure, even to this day, that him being hurt cost us the state championship. He was an all-American, and could do it all. Wrh ran the single-wing back then, under the legendary coach Thell Overman.

I saw most all of Jimmy Jerome's games. I was 12 yrs old when he was a senior. Wrh lost to South Stanley 14-6, in the regional finals that year. Jerome did not play that game though, due to injury. All the wrh faithful are sure, even to this day, that him being hurt cost us the state championship. He was an all-American, and could do it all. Wrh ran the single-wing back then, under the legendary coach Thell Overman.
Ah, that is the story. The South coach may have seen film or just knew of him.

Saw him at UNC. Good guy.

Reactions: dogs79
Saw him at UNC. Good guy.
Met him a few times while he was a UNCer.

As you know the player’s lounge is named after him.

Remember his name coming up about ten years ago before a UNC game when several former players were hanging out at the South Gate area. Dooley would always stop by like one of the guys. He spoke highly of him as a multi skilled and team first player. Said when they needed a skill player to hop in he was always an option. Dooley told about going “down east” to see him play or meet him.

Met him a few times while he was a UNCer.

As you know the player’s lounge is named after him.

Remember his name coming up about ten years ago before a UNC game when several former players were hanging out at the South Gate area. Dooley would always stop by like one of the guys. He spoke highly of him as a multi skilled and team first player. Said when they needed a skill player to hop in he was always an option. Dooley told about going “down east” to see him play or meet him.
He was hurt with 2 min to go and we were up big. Should of been on the bench. The legendary Thell Overman cost himself a state title that night

He was hurt with 2 min to go and we were up big. Should of been on the bench. The legendary Thell Overman cost himself a state title that night
It was a few years before the full state playoffs were put in place but get the point.

South Stanly lost badly to an undefeated Edenton Holmes the next week. Was Jerome hurt the week before the South game?

It was a few years before the full state playoffs were put in place but get the point.

South Stanly lost badly to an undefeated Edenton Holmes the next week. Was Jerome hurt the week before the South game?
Yes. Against tabor city. Probably was the greatest team wrh ever had. They didn't get scored on until the 7th week of the season.

Reactions: btango and dogs79
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT