ADVERTISEMENT

Albemarle vs. Chathem Central

Ha! Maybe so. I do understand your frustrations with Bulldog football right now. However, the problem is not at the high school or what offense they are running right now. Take a look at the talent level at the middle school & what the teams have that are beating them. Kids aren't learning anything. There lies your problem.
You hit the nail on the head. When Gaster was winning state championships he could have run the single wing and won state championships. At this present time Albemarle just doesn't have the athletes we've had in the past. I'm not down on the coaching staff or the kids because I know they both are trying and want to win more than anything.This isn't life or death, it's high school football. If Albemarle doesn't win a game this year it won't be the first time and the sun will come up tomorrow. Go Dogs.

I said before that the middle school was ground zero....we both agree on that.

Both on & off the field. Inmates have run the asylum. That's why AHS continuously has off field & eligibility issues. No true discipline or accountability standards for students or parents.

Both on & off the field. Inmates have run the asylum. That's why AHS continuously has off field & eligibility issues. No true discipline or accountability standards for students or parents.

I'm not disagreeing with you. This is a known issue, that's why mines stay where I can see them.

I'm just confused on why the coaches are so bent on the wing formation.

We have won 5 State Championship's without it. I remember playing Pender, and I believe they ran something similar to the wing. They scored once, we "stacked" the box, and that was it. They absolutely had no passing game. Just like we don't have a passing game. Plus, Charlotte Catholic has a passing game and big aggressive linemen to create holes....just because the have success doesn't mean we Will. Hell, they recruit the best!

There are many variations of the Wing T. The Wing T can be schemed in many different ways with variations of the formation.

Charlotte Catholic runs a version of what is known as the Delaware Wing T. They have a passing game now but they rarely threw the ball including in some of their state title years although the QB will often carry out the passing drop and stance. They have some big kids but compared to the competition they play most nights they are smaller. Many use the offense for lack of lineman size due to the traps and pulling.

The system takes time to implement and more to learn and become proficient at it. If you are going to give up a year the first year is the best one. The blocking schemes and misdirection are much different than what Albemarle has done in the past but does anyone really think with the reduced numbers that AHS will be to continue to out athlete and manhandle opponents even in the 1A playoffs? I do not and they did not in 2012 or 2013 and doubtful they would have last year. They would have been in the mix but could a little change have been a difference maker. I think they need to look for a change. I personally like a triple option attack where you develop a QB from the youth leagues but I think many offenses can work well at Albemarle but I think the X and O's are going to be more important going forward than ever before. That is the key to the future at AHS, develop the talent from the youth leagues up. Everyone needs to be a Bulldog from day one. That has been the biggest key to success at Charlotte Catholic and Byrnes (SC) and those two programs get as much from their talent as any two schools in the Carolinas. Catcholic football took off when they put football in their middle schools and ran the same schemes the high school does often with former players coaching it.

Butler ran a form of it for years, still runs a form of it, as have Vance and Olympic at times. Butler threw heavily out of it. Butler was running that as their base from the opening of the school on but gradually spread it out as they started churning out major college QBs.

You run what works but you cannot change the offense every year to meet the team's personnel although you can makes changes and put in some different schemes and plays. You have to settle in and put it in place. The best teams have continuity in the coaching staff which sticks with the same basics. Look at teams that had runs of great success and the coach and most of the staff stayed together or they stayed in the coaching tree much like AHS did with Jack, Baxter, and Danny. It did not work after that and now you have a totally different makeup at AHS.

Reactions: sway1532
In the joy and excitement of casting off 4 weeks of utter frustration, don't forget to call the dogs off.

Well put @btango.

Our youth league is heading in the right direction from what I've seen personally. I wished everyone would get on board and fix this issue, that means parents and all. I still won't believe that Albemarle is done. This is not our year, but we can and will rebound from this.

I really hate to repeat myself, but the athletes that Albemarle needs are unfortunately in "Unique" situations chosen by their own free will.

@Trench Warrior why do you call our kids inmates? I worked for the DOP (formally the DOC) for years. Not just our kids, but some kids are put into situations where the means of survival is "By any means necessary". I do not look at our kids as inmates nor do I look at any kid as an inmate. Adults(Parents) get different treatment because they should know better.

Anyway, best of luck to Albemarle tonight. I haven't attended a game in over 2 years that Albemarle has won. I look forward to seeing the win tonight.

Went out to breakfast as usual this am at the "Breakfast Nook" local eatery. Just sitting enjoying my meal and happened to look across the room then "BAM" If I didn't now better there sat a guy having his breakfast that was the spitting image of JACK GASTER. I couldn't believe my eyes. Same face same built, same height. It was surreal. Only difference was he had a nice trimed white beard. I have often heard we all have a look alike. Well this guy could have been Jack's idencital twin.

Catholic's version of the wing T was actually used because they had very little size on the line. So it will work if run properly with proper blocking. For a number of years Catholic was outsized by most teams even 2A teams. Only recently has Catholic begun to have large OLmen come around and play.

Well put @btango.

Our youth league is heading in the right direction from what I've seen personally. I wished everyone would get on board and fix this issue, that means parents and all. I still won't believe that Albemarle is done. This is not our year, but we can and will rebound from this.

I really hate to repeat myself, but the athletes that Albemarle needs are unfortunately in "Unique" situations chosen by their own free will.

@Trench Warrior why do you call our kids inmates? I worked for the DOP (formally the DOC) for years. Not just our kids, but some kids are put into situations where the means of survival is "By any means necessary". I do not look at our kids as inmates nor do I look at any kid as an inmate. Adults(Parents) get different treatment because they should know better.

Anyway, best of luck to Albemarle tonight. I haven't attended a game in over 2 years that Albemarle has won. I look forward to seeing the win tonight.

The phrase " inmates running the asylum" wasn't labeling your kids as inmates but more as a means of describing how the inner workings of the middle school system has allowed them to behave any way they wish & to become undisciplined. I apologize for the misinterpretation.

yeah trench don't call them inmates yet, your a few years too early. I believe you have to be 18 before u can go to jail...give them some time

Catholic's version of the wing T was actually used because they had very little size on the line. So it will work if run properly with proper blocking. For a number of years Catholic was outsized by most teams even 2A teams. Only recently has Catholic begun to have large OLmen come around and play.

Exactly. Catholic is not going to make you run scared in the warmups but when the game starts and they start firing out you get a different perspective. Leverage, football savvy from working on the techniques to exhaustion, great conditioning, and timing among other things makes you shake your head. Many teams thought they would roll them, laughed at them, but often those teams were mentally crushed as the game drug on.

Reactions: CatholicCougs14
Even though we played absolutely no one, our RB's had a little space to run tonight. Bird seems to be back at QB and doing well, two fumbled snaps though, that will hurt against a real competitions. But nice TD pass.

The Wing T didn't look that bad tonight. We'll see in 3 weeks how it works

Reactions: spiketomandjerry4
My personal observation of tonight is that we played very sloppy. You could tell that there was a new system in place. I liked #11's ability to scramble and #17's ability to throw. Those two could make a great combo at QB. We fumbled 5-7 times. The score with all these miscues shows how good our team can be. We could have still beat them 80's to very little but that is not Smiths style from what I have heard. If you get a 30 point victory from Smith then they really pored it on. He milks the clock on every offensive play. We will play a similar team this week at South Davidson with a bye week following the West Montgomery showdown. We were also down two starting offensive lineman tonight, which really hurts with our lack of depth. I am not sure of the reasons and not sure when they will be back. Overall I am very optimistic that we will give West Mont a game in two weeks. We just need to clean up our brand new offense. Go Dogs!

Even though we played absolutely no one, our RB's had a little space to run tonight. Bird seems to be back at QB and doing well, two fumbled snaps though, that will hurt against a real competitions. But nice TD pass.

The Wing T didn't look that bad tonight. We'll see in 3 weeks how it works
Bird was back but did not play quarterback. He played defense and # 11 and I don't know his name played quarterback and did a pretty good job. It was nice to get that first win and hopefully they can build on it.

Actually # 11 started and played most of the game @ QB and made some nice runs and and threw at least one touchdown pass of about 45 yards. He actually look pretty good back there.

Reactions: sway1532
Hate I didn't get to see him. Chatham Central is terrible and we really can't rate ourselves against a team like that.

Good thing I seen last night is that the team seemed to be having fun.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT