ADVERTISEMENT

2A/2AA Playoff Picture, Conference by Conference Breakdown

Yes, definitely should draw if a 1 or 2 is on the line (or 3 in the CCC)....if it's for the standings spots among potential wild card teams, I suppose they could draw, but from the brushing up that I found time for this morning, it seems that whatever the conference president sends in for final standings will be what they go with...so if they draw at the conference meeting (or ahead of time anticipating a tie like we have in some leagues this year), it does seem plausible that some conference by laws may have decided before the season started to use maxpreps rankings in that situation instead of drawing though, especially if it's only among wild cards and not auto bids, as it makes it more likely for the league to get more teams in.....to draw for any auto bids, and use rankings if there is a tie for 4th, 5th (or 3rd in any league except the CCC).....look at Mid State 2A....league could sneak four teams in the playoffs (which would be a travesty) if Cummings draws 2nd AND Carrboro's ranking stays close to 64....the rest of the bubble teams around the state are hoping for BY to draw 2, and Carrboro to fall well below 64 in rankings....but all four COULD make playoffs if they draw for the auto bid positions, then seed the rest of standings based on rankings....BY's ranking in 30s looks safe but if they drop to 4th in final standings they would miss playoffs due to leap frog unless both Cummings AND Carrboro make playoffs

If BY, Carrboro, and Cummings make the playoffs, which some of them will, then the playoffs are a bad joke. Those teams are not worthy of any playoffs.

Well B-Y is 9-1 coming into this weeks game with Reidsville.....know their schedule has been pretty woeful................

If BY, Carrboro, and Cummings make the playoffs, which some of them will, then the playoffs are a bad joke. Those teams are not worthy of any playoffs.
Yes, this conference is the reason that I wish they would go up to 6 instead of 5 teams for a league to get 2 auto bids

If your 9-1, 8-2, 7-3 heck even 6-4 you should get a shot... After that, no
Yes, but remember one of the reasons it was good that they let more teams in (besides more $ for the state and the schools) was no more 10-1 teams being left out.....remember when only 32 per class (and not 64) made it and each conference had its predetermined number of auto bids, and most years were absolutely no wild cards....there was a year where a conference of only 2 auto bids had 3 teams go 10-1, all of them's only loss was a conference game to each other and their draw for 1,2,3 let 2 in the playoffs, and 1 starting basketball season on Monday (I believe it was the PAC 6 4A around 2000 or 2001....Northern Durham, Jordan, Chapel Hill)....also don't forget that the whole subdividing started with 1A in 2001, because some of the really small schools (less than 350 or or so and smaller ADM) felt like it wasn't fair to play against some of the larger 1As (550, 650, etc.)....at the time there were only 73 1A schools that played football and 64 would make the playoffs.....then the next year the other three classes started doing the same thing....ironic thing....even in the first year of subdivided playoffs in 1A, the plan didn't really work to do what it was supposed to do....the cutline for 1A & 1AA was still above 500, because the median 1A ADM for all 73 was close to 500, and all but 9 of them made the playoffs, including a few 1-10s and 2-9s, maybe even an 0-11 or two....(I believe a beast Cummings team beat and 0-11 Chatham Central team 96-0 in 1st Rd that year), that was when every conference, regardless of size, had three auto bids, then it was wild cards based on overall record with one non-conf. game dropped....there were more than 9 teams with no wins, so at least one, maybe 2-3 got in at 0-10 or 0-11....anyway, there were then (and still today) so few 1A teams with the extremely high and low ADMs that all it really accomplished to subdivide was to prevent the school with 190 playing the school with 720....you still had playoff game after playoff game of ADM matchup likes 515 vs 750....510 vs 150, etc....today in 4A, I suppose it's good to not have the really small 4As with less than 1500 playing the really big 4As with 3000+, but in both 2A & 3A, there is not as much of a gi-hugically-normous gap (in this year's new numbers, only one 2A school is under 600 and only 4 or 5 are above 1000), I haven't checked 3A but guessing they only have 8 or 10 under 1000 and only a few over 1300, I wouldn't mind one bit if 2A & 3A stopped subdividing but then you're back to running the risk of leaving out very good teams if there are no wild cards.....I wouldn't mind every conference getting 1 auto bid, then the rest be wild cards if we ever go back to 32 per class.....which could happen if we go to 5 or 6 classes in next realignment....or no more than 48, (but with 48 yu have 1st Rd byes like 1A & 4A do now, which I wish we could avoid too)

The last 4 years...Reidsville has outscored Cummings 225 points to 10 points.....Reidsville fans have snoozed away...lol.................
Was the regular season meeting in 2011 the last time Cummings beat Reidsville?? I remember that year South Granville got to host Reidsville in playoffs in either a 4/5 matchup in 2nd Rd when we were the lowest seeded conference champion in that pod and Reidsville was the highest seeded 2nd place team....then in 3rd Rd Reidsville went there to Cummings and just dominated them, and in many ways they've not been the same since....they were still respectable in 2013 & 2014 when SG beat them in regular season non-conference games but they have really seemed to drop off the deep end these last few years....in spite of their numbers being way up....anybody know if Alamance Co. makes it easy to transfer, which could allow some of the best athletes to wind up at EA, WA, SA, or Williams?....Strange to see Cummings and Graham's ADM much higher than last year when it hasn't been long there was discussion that one or both of those schools might get closed by the county....thought a new high school in the county was in the works too....please comment if you have info

Cummings probably made more $ than North Davidson

You could be right. With the way that the playoffs are designed to split the profits equally between the two teams (after expenses), it is likely. North usually goes above and beyond the requirements for security and such.

The only tie breaker is concessions. Home team can keep that at least.

Was the regular season meeting in 2011 the last time Cummings beat Reidsville?? I remember that year South Granville got to host Reidsville in playoffs in either a 4/5 matchup in 2nd Rd when we were the lowest seeded conference champion in that pod and Reidsville was the highest seeded 2nd place team....then in 3rd Rd Reidsville went there to Cummings and just dominated them, and in many ways they've not been the same since....they were still respectable in 2013 & 2014 when SG beat them in regular season non-conference games but they have really seemed to drop off the deep end these last few years....in spite of their numbers being way up....anybody know if Alamance Co. makes it easy to transfer, which could allow some of the best athletes to wind up at EA, WA, SA, or Williams?....Strange to see Cummings and Graham's ADM much higher than last year when it hasn't been long there was discussion that one or both of those schools might get closed by the county....thought a new high school in the county was in the works too....please comment if you have info
You are correct...last time Cummings beat Reidsville was in the regular season of 2011, 21-20....they met again in the 3 round of the playoffs at Cummings (the week after Rams beat S. Granville) and Reidsville blasted Cummings 31-7.....................

https://www.highschoolot.com/2019-2a-2aa-football-playoff-projections/18688378/

Shelby projected to be third smallest 2AA team and could have rematch with Burns in third round. Burns projected to face West Lincoln in first round and could play South Point in the second round
Was comparing my work-in-progress projection to HSOT's....they have Carrboro in, Walkertown out, when I post mine shortly, I have Walkertown in, Carrboro out, Bandys as last team in (though I'm not sure Bandys will stay in unless they pull a huge upset over North Lincoln this week)

I was checking out the ADMs, and Anson sure lost a lot of students. I wonder if this is a case of the tally not including those that might be in early college or some other type of program? That is a huge drop in one year.

I was checking out the ADMs, and Anson sure lost a lot of students. I wonder if this is a case of the tally not including those that might be in early college or some other type of program? That is a huge drop in one year.
Yes, Anson and West Craven took HUGE drops from last year, two that most were counting on being 2AA for sure....also for what it's worth, Anson had been 2AA East last two years, they're looking at 2A West this year, saw them in person last year...2 tremendous skill position athletes in Sturdivant and Marshall, should be illegal to have them on the same team, also had good QB play from Lear, and all of those should be back this year, not surprised they won league, wouldn't be surprised to see them make surprise playoff run; concern would be the defense and mistakes like penalties and turnovers

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT