ADVERTISEMENT

2022 NC American Legion State Tournament

After Cone dispersed of Asheburrr in ' 67, Greensboro Burtner won the State Championship in '68. I think they beat Wilmington Post 10, but not positive.. About the 9, 000 fans that attended the '66 championship game at Memorial Stadiium, Mister Lincolnton, it is hard to imagine, but the place was jammed packed. It was the biggest crowd I've ever seen at the stadium and 9, 000 may be low balling the attendance number.
P. S. The Burtner coach back then was Chuck Hartman and he was the coach at High Point College. He coached there for quite a few years, but I don't remember any Burtner players ever attending High Point College , but feel sure some did. A few years later, Greensboro added a third Legion team called Bethel and they drew mainly from Dudley, Smith, and Sumner . Sumner is now Southern Guilford.
P. S. S. Thank you, Mister Dines for the excellent coverage of Legion ball. It is greatly appreciated.

Speaking of illegal players I just heard this morning that Fuquay-Varina's star pitcher Luke Brown who has committed to play for Clemson has been declared ineligible for this state tournament due to the dual participation rule which disallows playing travel ball during the N.C. State Tournament. That's probably why he did not pitch in Fuquay's game 1 against Randolph last night.
Wonder who reported that???
Who are they playing??? 😜

33, I recall some of the High Point players sitting in the stands watching the game and really felt bad for them. Shelby was actually a good team, that year, and HP being able to beat them tells me they were special.
About Eastern Randolph, this year, from what I'm guessing they must have beaten Randolph County at least one time and not knowing much about them (Randolph) I assume they are good, as usual.
You guessed correctly.

Speaking of illegal players I just heard this morning that Fuquay-Varina's star pitcher Luke Brown who has committed to play for Clemson has been declared ineligible for this state tournament due to the dual participation rule which disallows playing travel ball during the N.C. State Tournament. That's probably why he did not pitch in Fuquay's game 1 against Randolph last night.
The timing is impeccable....................

Pretty low for a team that gets an auto bid to regionals every year.

It’s time for someone else to host regionals.

Doesn't matter who reported it. If the facts show that the player violated the rules then it should have been reported by anyone who became aware of it.
Not necessarily disagreeing with you….
However the individual I am referring to apparently has a hot line just for reporting things. Occasionally these things are true and occasionally they aren’t. Either way it often effects teams they are playing against, either by proper disqualification or missing a player who has to sit while waiting on decision.
It’s just odd that so MANY instances are reported by one source…

Not necessarily disagreeing with you….
However the individual I am referring to apparently has a hot line just for reporting things. Occasionally these things are true and occasionally they aren’t. Either way it often effects teams they are playing against, either by proper disqualification or missing a player who has to sit while waiting on decision.
It’s just odd that so MANY instances are reported by one source…
I have no idea about who reports what and when about legion rule breaking. But I know sometimes teams break the rules and I have no compassion for those who get caught doing it. I'm just glad the current state commissioner is apparently willing to take action when it is brought to his attention.

Was hoping Cherryville would make it to the semifinals but it didn't happen. Glad to see them back at state tournament level and to make a respectable showing.
Just got back from Atlanta. I read Don's post to keep abreast of things. Thought to myself, Cherryville beating Randolph might get a wink and a nod from theKidd12.
GSO, thanks for pulling for Post 100 in the tournament. Linkman, thanks for the information and broadcasts this season, we'll do it again next year. Don, as always thanks for keeping us informed.

Last edited:
I have no idea about who reports what and when about legion rule breaking. But I know sometimes teams break the rules and I have no compassion for those who get caught doing it. I'm just glad the current state commissioner is apparently willing to take action when it is brought to his attention.
Again we aren’t disagreeing over rule breaking. When it comes to sports that’s the only thing that makes them “organized”.

Think you missed the part where I said occasionally this individual makes false claims as well. Whatever gives his team the advantage, if even for one game.

Guess it’s a Randolph county thing. Most people here know what I’m talking about.

Was hoping Cherryville would make it to the semifinals but it didn't happen. Glad to see them back at state tournament level and to make a respectable showing.
Just got back from Atlanta. I read Don's post to keep abreast of things. Thought to myself, Cherryville beating Randolph might get a wink and a nod from theKidd12.
GSO, thanks for pulling for Post 100 in the tournament. Linkman, thanks for the information and broadcasts this season, we'll do it again next year. Don, as always thanks for keeping us informed.
Cherryville…
Think Fortenberry still getting hits somewhere probably…
Dude cost me a chance to play in two state finals in one year…

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT