ADVERTISEMENT

2015 MAC recap

AhsCougar1

Oct 3, 2007
Well now that we are all out of the playoffs, I think we can go ahead and say for certain that we all underachieved greatly. When teams down east make fun of mountain football, its seasons like this that they point to.

McDowell: Kudos to them for making the playoffs, but that is the extent of their accomplishments this year. 0 playoff wins this year.

TC Roberson: Roberson was terrible, but in their defense they were competitive with Erwin and Asheville, although this year that doesn't say much. I thought the coaches son Deal would be a good qb but I heard a rumor he could be leaving? That could be bad. They gave 71st a good game in the playoffs but its still hard to see a team with that much size be 3-9. 0 playoff wins in 2015

Erwin: Some peoples pick to win the MAC. Returned a qb who had a great sophomore year. Many of us thought this was a year with Austin coming back and the addition of a tougher schedule, they would be prepared to make a run in the playoffs. The schedule did them no favors in the end and they came in second in the MAC and easily could have finished the year 6-6. Mike Sexton I believe has been at Erwin for 8 years and have 6 playoff wins. That's absolutely shocking. 0 playoff wins in 2015.

Asheville: The mountains unanimous number 1 preseason team for the MAC and for WNC. Returned a major D1 tackle and a tailback who finished his career with 4,000 rushing yards. This team just never had the drive all year. It is a shame too because to this day I still believe they had the most talent in the mountains. A lazy team who wanted to be tough after the whistle blew or after the game and will go down as the most underachieving team Danny Wilkins has coached. No excuse for a team with that much talent to not blow out most of their opponents on their schedule. Should have lost to Carver, should have lost even worse to Reynolds, very easily could have lost to a 3-9 Roberson team and displayed one of the worst perfomances in Asheville history against Erwin at home on senior night. On the road in the first round for the 3rd time in the last 15 years. 0 playoff wins in 2015.

AC Reynolds: I cant believe I am writing this one because after they beat the hell out of us, people were talking about this team as a state champion contender (and after that I believed they were). Started the season with a good win by 3 over a good West Forsyth team and showed a little chink in the armor in week 4 by giving up 57 points to Shelby. Some of us Asheville fans said the mountains sucked this year after they beat us and Erwin and I understand how that could have sounded like sour grapes, but in the end I think it ended up being true. Reynolds absolutely destroyed everybody in the regular season after the first game with the exception of Shelby, but in my eyes there was something wrong with Dowdle getting every touchdown. It was almost comical to see Reynolds winning 56-7 every week and Dowdle having 6 touchdowns every game. He is a terrific player, one of the best to ever come out of the mountains of NC, but I really think their reliance on him was ultimately to their detriment. All year long the recipe was to just stop rico, when ideally you would want multiple guys to count on in the event Dowdle did eventually get contained. I thought Logan would have been a much bigger part of their offense, but all year it was "Dowdle left, Dowdle right, Dowdle up the middle." For Reynolds to average 50 points a game and Logan to finish the season the season with about 1,100 rushing yards, tells you all you need to know. A very very disappointing ending to the 2015 season being held to 21 points at home after scoring 73 the week prior. I thought for sure I would be going to Crest next Friday for an epic game, but weddington finally did what nobody else could do, holding dowdle to a shocking 6 first half rushing yards. Truth be told, WEddington probably should have won last night by 14+ given the fact they had 4 turnovers and 2 missed field goals. That game vs Weddington last night was symbolic of MAC football this year....a big disappointment.1 playoff win in 2015 for Reynolds while ranked number 3 in the AP poll.

Lets hope we can do a little better in 2016 because as a whole we all greatly underachieved to put it nicely.

*Also, just a side note since there were so many conversations this season comparing Dowdle to past great skill players from the mountain. Crezdon Butler finished his high school career with 17 playoff wins as a starter for Asheville High. I believe Rico dowdle had 1.

Crezdon Butler also had another nfl player in the backfield playing with him and his fb started at MLB at wcu as a true freshmen . I don't think anyone else on reynolds offense will be playing d1 football. Also reynolds went to the second round last year and the 3rd the year before so I guess you could say he had 5 playoff wins.

I forgot about the Erwin win in the first round last year. Did dowdle play varsity his sophomore year?

I forgot about the Erwin win in the first round last year. Did dowdle play varsity his sophomore year?

Yes he broke his ankle halfway through the season. He orginally filled in at rb after jave jones was dismissed from the team.

I agree that the MAC disappointed this year in the playoffs. I really don't see any team bringing back enough to make the 3rd round next year unless they get a lucky draw.

Reactions: AhsCougar1
I agree that the MAC disappointed this year in the playoffs. I really don't see any team bringing back enough to make the 3rd round next year unless they get a lucky draw.
Incredibly bad playoff showing for us

The sad thing is I don't see it being any better next year. Asheville loses a ton of seniors, Reynolds loses Dowdle & Logan. I thought Roberson was starting to get things turned around but I hear their coach is out the door and taking his son with him. Erwin may have the most potential with Ferguson, Thompson, and Goode back.

I still believe that last years Asheville team and this years Reynolds team were state title caliber teams, but both came up just short against a well-disciplined, mentally tough Weddington squad.

Reactions: GATA 88
Can't believe I'm saying this but. Asheville got to schedule better opponents non conference

Can't believe I'm saying this but. Asheville got to schedule better opponents non conference

Asheville and Reynolds have always had a hard time getting teams around here to play them. I think the mountain teams should start trying to schedule freedom. Only an hour away and decent program.

I don't know how I feel about the scheduling thing champ. Crest by their own admission doesn't have a very tough schedule and they are currently on a 29 game winning streak. On the other hand, Erwin had a very tough non conference schedule this year and they still lose in the first round despite being battle tested. It's hard to see how losing 2-4 games against really good teams can help you if it results in you going on the road in the first round or playing a 2-3 seed in the first round. Even Reynolds played Shelby south point west Forsyth and watauga in recent years and they have like 2-3 playoff wins the last 4 years. As a fan id rather have 10 winnable games and 1 really tough game against a powerhouse that you can drop anyway. But then again when you have a team like we did this year it doesn't matter

Asheville and Reynolds have always had a hard time getting teams around here to play them. I think the mountain teams should start trying to schedule freedom. Only an hour away and decent program.

We played them from 2005-2008. I still for the life of me cannot understand why we haven't played Owen. We have played tuscola Franklin pisgah Hendersonville east Burke Polk county east surry ashbrook Charlotte Christian north gaston and Brevard but we can't get a game with Owen 10 miles down the road. That's ridiculous

I don't know how I feel about the scheduling thing champ. Crest by their own admission doesn't have a very tough schedule and they are currently on a 29 game winning streak. On the other hand, Erwin had a very tough non conference schedule this year and they still despite being battle tested. It's hard to see how losing 2-4 games against really good teams can help you if it results in you going on the road in the first round or playing a 2-3 seed in the first round. Even Reynolds played Shelby south point west Forsyth and watauga in recent years and they have like 2-3 playoff wins the last 4 years. As a fan id rather have 10 winnable games and 1 really tough game against a powerhouse that you can drop anyway. But then again when you have a team like we did this year it doesn't matter

It would also help if the henderson and haywood County teams improved. It would be nice to play East and west henderson if they were decent. Close teams that would bring in bigger gates. The mountains are weak compared to what they were 5 years ago.

True but when i seen Carver basically give yall the game thats when i knew yall was in BIG trouble. Playing better competition is a measuring stick on how good you are. Don't compare your schedule with Crest, simply put they play a powerhouse in Shelby annually and Sp. So they know how good they are. If you are willing to play newton and carver. Definitely shouldn't be any issues playing Freedom, South Iredell, Shelby, Sp, East Forsyth, CC. Im just saying. Weddington plays Ak, Monroe non conference. Didn't effect them much. Also why beat up on cupcakes and get exposed post season ie freedom. Asheville ask yourself is that really what you wanna be??

There are pros and cons to both easy and tough schedules. I don't think we had a cupcake schedule. Last year we played ashbrook, the 5a state champs from Tennessee, Hendersonville and Polk. I liked that schedule. Of course last year we were way better than this year

rico may have been held to 6 yds in the first hald but a lot of negative yds on sacks. he did have a 65 yd kickoff return in the first half and over 200 yds rushing in the second half

How the hell did he have 200+ yards rushing in the second half alone and y'all score 14 points?

How the hell did he have 200+ yards rushing in the second half alone and y'all score 14 points?
Not sure but just because someone rushes for 200 yards does that mean we score 30 points? Penalties, turnovers, also stop drives. He carried this team against a VERY good team. People are not giving Weddington enough credit, they beat Cuthbertson by 10 just like Crest did, people need to realize ACR didn't underachieve, they ran into a very good team. Had we won the draw we could easily been playing this week but Concord got the #1 seed and he the easiest draw. Our guys did their best and as a Rocket fan I am proud of their year this year.

Reactions: CougarsOfAHS
Not sure but just because someone rushes for 200 yards does that mean we score 30 points? .

Yes it usually does mean that. He had 200 yards rushing in the first half against us and y'all had like 50 points! If one guy has 200+ yards in one half that usually means he is having a field day. I'm just trying to understand. And Reynolds absolutely underachieved. We all did. They were ranked number 2 or 3 in every poll and lost to the 8 or 9 team. Reynolds was favored by everybody Friday because they did in fact have a state championship caliber team and they won just one playoff game. Losing in the second round with that team is a let down however you want to lay it out. I say that with no disrespect because nobody underachieves more than Asheville high but it is what it is.

4 best teams in 3aa are still playing. Cuthbertson, Asheville, ACR are not the top 4 teams in 3aa. Honestly Cuthbertson may actually be the 5th best team in 3aa west followed by acr. But the gap from 4 to 6 is pretty noticeable. Also I don't understand why both SI and Concord gets little to no respect. Both teams are as talented as any team not named Crest.

I am jealous of and respect the tradition of the MAC. Weddington was founded in '99. Split to open Marvin Ridge in '07 and Cuthbertson in '09. Both of those will prob be 4a in the next alignment. Our kids grow up facing competition in the metro charlotte area in all sports so we are not intimidated by much. The past 3 years Asheville was tough and nasty( except for this year) ! Most definitely more talented but no better than teams we face during the year. ACR was the most 1 dimensional team I have ever seen, this year. I have never seen a team run qb left , qb up the middle , and qb right. Doodle is amazing , but damn!, make teams be honest. A kid that good will make his touches count when teams have to defend more than him.

Without the pod system, the MAC needs to play as many piedmont teams as they can in their out of conference schedule . Just my opinion.

Last edited:
I am jealous of and respect the tradition of the MAC. Weddington was founded in '99. Split to open Marvin Ridge in '07 and Cuthbertson in '09. Both of those will prob be 4a in the next alignment. Our kids grow up facing competition in the metro charlotte area in all sports so we are not intimidated by much. The past 3 years Asheville was tough and nasty( except for this year) ! Most definitely more talented but no better than teams we face during the year. ACR was the most 1 dimensional team I have ever seen, this year. I have never seen a team run qb left , qb up the middle , and qb right. Doodle is amazing , but damn!, make teams be honest. A kid that good will make his touches count when teams have to defend more than him.

Without the pod system, the MAC needs to play as many piedmont teams as they can in their out of conference schedule . Just my opinion.

I have watched game film from last years AHS vs. Weddington game numerous times. We did get screwed on two touchdowns, most notably the score where our running back was ruled down inches from the goal line and he was clearly in for the TD. Having said that, Weddington has played almost mistake free football every time we have played them. I can show you a few plays where they got by with some holding on the O-line and a couple of pass interference non-calls, but they were not really a factor in the outcome of the games. Weddington looks like a cupcake team getting off the bus but they play harder and smarter than any team I have ever personally seen. The physical toughness and perfect play calling and almost mistake free play is why they are undefeated against Asheville. Like I've said in the past, I absolutely hate Weddington, but have nothing but respect for their whole organization. They remind me of a small college team in a lot of ways. They represent the West very, very well.

As for next year in the MAC......

I see Erwin sitting at #1 for obvious reasons. They don't lose much to graduation, a great player in Austin but not much else. They have set themselves up with a system that will continue to produce well.

Asheville / Reynolds will battle it out for the #2 spot. Both of our teams lose a lot of talent that will be hard to replace. My question for Asheville is, will the kids moving up care about their team and the Cougar legacy than the seniors they are replacing? Let's hope so.

The rest of the MAC will be where they are every year. Little hope for TC or McDowell. NB will be good until conference play starts. Enka will suck because that's what they're good at.

As with any facet of life, all this will depend on what happens in the off season. Which coaches will be out and who will take their places? What kids will transfer and where will they end up? Who will put in the sweat and hard work this spring and summer? All of these things will help determine who is on top next year. Either way, I don't see anyone in the MAC going more than 2 rounds deep in the 2016 playoff season. :(

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT