ADVERTISEMENT

Your TOP 12 2022 Teams

TD-FridayNight

Oct 28, 2015
Mayberry - RFD,NC
What is your opinion on the top 12 1A teams going into the 2022 football season this fall ?
As we get closer you may change your top 12. They don't have to be in order 1 through unless you want to post your opinion of your 1 thru 12 which will make it a little more interesting and as I said as you learn more you can always change your 12. Also, there can be a top 12 east and top 12 west, and top 12 east, west 1A state. It will be interesting to see who comes to the closest come conference play. This is all for fun and no one has to be right. As I said, you can change your mind as you find out more about the top teams that seem to always be top contenders.

In no particular order:
Tarboro, Northampton, East Randolph, Mitchell, Robbinsville, Mountain Heritage, Andrews, Murphy, Draughn, Pender, Thomasville & Mayberry.

I am sure I have left off some very good teams, but it is early and I haven’t looked around much. No doubt there is another Eastern team or 2 that could jump up.

Overall I think that 1a will be tougher this season than last. The west should be a blast with several teams that could potentially play Tarboro.

Go Mountaineers

Reactions: TD-FridayNight
Starmount has potential to be very solid this year; they need a good offseason lifting and prepping. This senior group has been quite decent since middle school but haven't found that full spark yet. I think they could this year. Their record was quite deceiving last year. Played Forbush really well despite the score and if they had eliminated some of the mistakes coulda played SW Randolph to the wire. Their run game is really fun to watch; if they stay healthy they could be the best they have been in a little while. Them vs the Bush will be quite fun. Bush will be the youngest they have been in a while and Starmount will have more older kids. Forbush has been their monkey on their backs since they were kids; gotta knock them off.

East Wilkes could be fun to watch as well; they gotta overcome quite a few things but the talent is definitely there. Maturity and focus will def be the key. If Graham stays and gets healthy he could be the best athlete in that part of the area next year. They gotta overcome the pressure of the attention and looks; that East Surry game ruined them last year.

Carver will be an interesting watch this year. Blackburn is gone for good and he is the best player they have had in a long time. Their HC was hired to build the numbers up and has done so despite all the issues from grades he has faced, but he has to not only rebuild the team but makeup for the drama they had that ended the season last year. They were good enough to make it last year which was a shame. This year will tell not only if their talent is at the level to play people in 1A but program health in general. There's no reason why they can't contend every year in 1A. This is the perfect spot for them now.

In the East
1. Tarboro
2. Pender
3. Northhampton.
What about Northside? They played Murphy 2 year ago. What do they returning
Possibly Williamston Riverside and Gates County.

For the West I can just echo the comments above. Starmount could be the sleeper, but at this time I don't think they will beat MT Airy.

What does Elkin have for 2022?

It was posted by a Mount Airy insider last season that Mount Airy was to be better this 2022 fall season with what they had coming back and moving up from I think a JV undefeated season. I may be wrong as MaPrep does not show all the JV games but I seem to think they were undefeated. I know they lost a few good players to graduation. I guess time will tell but I may not be here much if at all. Starting to not care so much anymore. It's bad when you have long-time Bear fans attacking Bear fans. Plus my health is not that good nor is my heart. My Dr. gave me some living will papers to file out last year and they are still on my desk, LOL. Heart problems along with diabetes. Oh well, we all got to go some time. It has been fun at times and nail-biting at times. Good luck to everyone. I know I have said I was quitting before but with this, I may have no choice. I did stay off of 99% of Basketball this year which was a first.
I will pick a few in no order, WEST, Mitchell, Robbinsville, Mt. Airy, Thomasville, Murphy, & Eastern Randolph

Your to stubborn to check out.
Keep on being you TD.

Mt. Airy had a really good wrestling team this year.
Top 5 in the state in 1a.

Reactions: TD-FridayNight
In the East
1. Tarboro
2. Pender
3. Northhampton.
What about Northside? They played Murphy 2 year ago. What do they returning
Possibly Williamston Riverside and Gates County.

For the West I can just echo the comments above. Starmount could be the sleeper, but at this time I don't think they will beat MT Airy.

What does Elkin have for 2022?
is everyone west picks based off of last year record ?

Starmount has potential to be very solid this year; they need a good offseason lifting and prepping. This senior group has been quite decent since middle school but haven't found that full spark yet. I think they could this year. Their record was quite deceiving last year. Played Forbush really well despite the score and if they had eliminated some of the mistakes coulda played SW Randolph to the wire. Their run game is really fun to watch; if they stay healthy they could be the best they have been in a little while. Them vs the Bush will be quite fun. Bush will be the youngest they have been in a while and Starmount will have more older kids. Forbush has been their monkey on their backs since they were kids; gotta knock them off.

East Wilkes could be fun to watch as well; they gotta overcome quite a few things but the talent is definitely there. Maturity and focus will def be the key. If Graham stays and gets healthy he could be the best athlete in that part of the area next year. They gotta overcome the pressure of the attention and looks; that East Surry game ruined them last year.

Carver will be an interesting watch this year. Blackburn is gone for good and he is the best player they have had in a long time. Their HC was hired to build the numbers up and has done so despite all the issues from grades he has faced, but he has to not only rebuild the team but makeup for the drama they had that ended the season last year. They were good enough to make it last year which was a shame. This year will tell not only if their talent is at the level to play people in 1A but program health in general. There's no reason why they can't contend every year in 1A. This is the perfect spot for them now.

Mitchell picked up a solid running back from Avery. The backfield should be deep and way more versatile than last year. He’s also a solid LB and a big time kicker. No more pooch kicks to teams like Tarboro. Mitchell’s kicker last year was great on extra points he just needed a little more leg on the kickoffs.

Mitchell picked up a solid running back from Avery. The backfield should be deep and way more versatile than last year. He’s also a solid LB and a big time kicker. No more pooch kicks to teams like Tarboro. Mitchell’s kicker last year was great on extra points he just needed a little more leg on the kickoffs.
I know there was a legit move, but dang HS is getting as bad as college. I hate it at both levels. Deerhunter, this wasn’t directly at you or your post.

We’ve lost several to the Green team over the years and a really good QB to Avery a few years ago. But I don’t blame that kid he wasn’t going to start at QB because Noah was a much better fit for Mitchell’s offense. Those that went to the Green team were either related to Joey or close to him, so I don’t fault them either. I’m just glad Mitchell finally got one instead of losing one.

Reactions: 97Cougar
Andrews
Robbinsville
Murphy
Cherokee
Swain
Mitchell
Mt Airy
Starmount
Thomas Jefferson
Mtn Heritage
Thomasville

Reactions: Melton75
I WILL SAY I AM NEW TO THIS MOUNTIAN FOOTBALL, BUT DONT BASE EVERYTHNG OFF OF THERE RECORD LAST YEAR. DONT COUNT A TEAM OUT BASED ON THERE RECORD LAST YEAR!

East Wilkes losing Graham will hurt as he is back at WC, having Martin & Gentry to lean on will help. However the JV for EW was not much last year and unless alot changes Ronda may headed for a dip especially after this upcoming year.

Final Max Preps 1a West ranking for ‘21

1. Mitchell
2. Mt. Airy
3. Eastern Randolph
4. Robbinsville
5. Thomasville
6. Murphy
7. North Rowan
8. Mtn. Heritage
9. Thomas Jefferson
10. Swain
11. Starmount
12. Mtn. Island Charter
13. Cherokee
14. Andrews
15. Draughn

I’ll take the “Ironmen of Cherryville” or the “Sauras of South Stokes” as my sleeper picks!😉

Final Max Preps 1a West ranking for ‘21

1. Mitchell
2. Mt. Airy
3. Eastern Randolph
4. Robbinsville
5. Thomasville
6. Murphy
7. North Rowan
8. Mtn. Heritage
9. Thomas Jefferson
10. Swain
11. Starmount
12. Mtn. Island Charter
13. Cherokee
14. Andrews
15. Draughn

I’ll take the “Ironmen of Cherryville” or the “Sauras of South Stokes” as my sleeper picks!😉
I LIKE THE MTCHELL EVEN THO WE AT ROSMAN ARE GOING TO TRY TO RAIN ON THE PARADE. FYI THIS IS MY FIRST YEAR HERE. MA WILL BE GOOD, EASTERN WAS SENOIR HEAVY, THOMAS JEFFERSON NEW COACH, CHEROKEE PROB IDK ABOUT THAT AND DRAUGH MAYBE MAYBE NOT. FOR SURE A STRONG MIDDLE OF THAT PACK. IT WILL BE A NEW YEAR HERE AT ROSMAN I CAN PROMISE THAT

I LIKE THE MTCHELL EVEN THO WE AT ROSMAN ARE GOING TO TRY TO RAIN ON THE PARADE. FYI THIS IS MY FIRST YEAR HERE. MA WILL BE GOOD, EASTERN WAS SENOIR HEAVY, THOMAS JEFFERSON NEW COACH, CHEROKEE PROB IDK ABOUT THAT AND DRAUGH MAYBE MAYBE NOT. FOR SURE A STRONG MIDDLE OF THAT PACK. IT WILL BE A NEW YEAR HERE AT ROSMAN I CAN PROMISE THAT
I’m betting everybody in those hills are pulling for the Rosman football program.

I know the old timers from Maiden sure are!😉

The Green team should be really good. I’ll say top 5 in the west. Mitchell should be better this year than last. They didn’t lose much at all and have a lot of big linemen moving up. Should be the deepest line on both sides they have ever had.

Not surprised about EW coach at all. The Boosters and other people in Ronda have been upset last couple years with the results of the team. But if he leaves EW the question is what does EW do? I know Wilkes Central has an assistant with heavy EW ties but idk if he will want to try and leave Central given the fact his son will be a senior this fall. Could defiantly get interesting if he is chosen.

He might want to be careful....I've always heard just bc grass is greener on the other side of the fence...doesn't meen it ain't over a septic tank.

He might want to be careful....I've always heard just bc grass is greener on the other side of the fence...doesn't meen it ain't over a septic tank.
LOL you are correct! I have heard Lynch the star WR at NS may be in Pilot this school year and if that is true it may not be as smooth as it looks.

Reactions: Maiden Creek
If the kid goes anywhere it would be Mt Airy. His brother is the great running back they have. Get with it Radio
Just going by what I was told by a member of Surry County. Who knows though doesn’t really matter either way its a loaded team regardless lol only way it matters is when they play each other

Reactions: roughtrader4444
North Surry made their pick for their new coach. Interesting one to me. Jackson Smith / former MA Qb from a few years back. Hope he does well. As far as the Lynch kid , all fingers point to him staying at north . Would be surprised to see him at east surry or mt airy. But if he wants to play for a state championship or make a deep run in the playoffs his senior year then a transfer would be in order. MA is the natural fit. Looks like the Bears and Cards are both having really good starts in the weight rooms and various camps this spring. Let’s hope it carries over to the summer and translates over to the fall. Bears schedule is out / no changes. Was a little disappointed in that. But understand the money side of things when it comes to the natural rivals. Interesting games look to be East Surry early and Starmount late, both should be pretty good

So Giarrusso transferred to Mitchell. He almost transferred to Cloudland the year before.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT