ADVERTISEMENT

West Montgomery @ East Montgomery

East isn't overly athletic. Very good QB, but not an accurate passer. They will hit quick screens out in the flats. QB is a better runner and could hurt west at times there if the Warriors are prepared. McKinney is a good athlete but not sure he's the best in the conference. Eagles aren't very fundamentally sound or overly big up front. Will hurt them Friday night. Eagles secondary has some pretty good talent on it.
It is hard to quantify "best", impossible really, his combination of speed , leaping ability, and the main thing size (6'3") puts him at the top for me. Plus he is in the 10th grade. There are some stud athletes in this game and the conference as a whole.

Maybe your right. Sounds like a great athlete. Does he play basketball.

Unless East is hiding some secret weapon, I see no way they can match up with West. Stranger things have happened, but West should have this game over by halftime. Not to belittle East, but there's little to no resistance in this conference. NM held off West for almost 13 minutes before that second quarter deluge of points. East slipped by NM in the waning minutes. UP was a good early season test it seemed at the time; however, Union Pines too has proven it pads the early season schedule with 1A schools and then gets trampled during the last 2/3 of its year. UP (5-5) hammered EM (9-1) and barely escaped NM. East then went on to monumental wins over.....Eastern Randolph (4-6), Trinity (3-7), Albemarle (2-8), Union Academy (3-7), Chatham Central (0-10), South Davidson (0-10), and North Moore (6-4). On the other side of the ball, only Thomasville provides the lone shine on West's record of 10-0. The Bulldogs are riding a 7-3 mark and looking pretty good; however, Jordan-Matthews' early test against West proved to be a facade, as the Jets are only 2-7. And then there's West Stanly and their 3-7 record. While on paper it may look like a very inviting top ten match up between 10-0 and 9-1 teams, the back story to their trips to those marks make this one of the most bizarre match-ups I've seen in watching/covering high school football in 35 years. East's 9 wins come over teams with a combined record of 23-57, while West's ten victims are 23-56, another stat that makes this match-up interesting on paper. The one fact that stands out is that West beat Thomasville, a meaningful win over a quality opponent, and crushed everyone else (except the early season slow start v J-M). East lost to UP, then beat everyone they were supposed to and had a time with NM (whom WM dispatched easily).

My take: 1. Teams need more quality out of conference opponents
2. East is not as powerful as some think. In fact, they have glaring weaknesses.
3. West is a good 1A team, but not battle-tested against solid opposition.
4. Sorry, but East will not provide number 3 for West. Not enough bodies. Not enough skilled positions.
5. West will score 40+, mainly on big plays. East will score, but I can't see more than 14 points. No weapons
other than their small tailback. I'll go 48-14 West Montgomery.
6. ....and finally.....no matter who wins or loses, somebody is going to be blaming the officials. East and West are
notorious for blaming the officials, so this should be an interesting night for the men in stripes.

Do stay away from the injury bug and remember to keep emotions in check and avoid ejections. They lead to suspensions and disqualification from post season if you cross the limit.
Yes that "blaming the refs" could be avoided if they wouldn't try to control the game. Their job is to call the game unbiased and fair! Not try to keep the score down. As soon as WM starts pulling away those Holding calls start! Now I've seen games this season where the Refs have done an outstanding job in the sense that you wouldn't even know they were there! Like Fanatic said a Pancake block is not Holding and the ground can't cause a fumble in the end zone or anywhere else!

I will say one thing, everybody keeps bringing up EM's QB's and their great pass game but did anybody notice Dozier last Friday night? That guy was ON! I know it was against SD but he threw some very impressive passes! Not to mention he has one more year at WM! He has improved and gained experience and emerged as a true leader!

Maybe your right. Sounds like a great athlete. Does he play basketball.
Yes, was a rebounding machine , I expect him to be improved offensively. 6'3" athletic kids are plentiful in basketball, football not so much.

Great teams can shut down great individual players ( see WM v NS Williams) , but not recognizing Mckinney as a" weapon" is unreal, Im sure it was just an oversight on NM88 part.

Isn't McKinney the small tailback? If he is, then he's one of the weapons I was referring to. If not, then it's that little guy...He gets low and has the moves--and certainly the speed. What I was wondering was why East didn't keep sending him up the middle or between the right guard and tackle--he was slicing through them most of the second half, but they tended to get away from him. West has the speed to maintain him, and has the tenacity to "attack" the offensive line. NM's defense appeared to have the goal of "holding" the line until linebackers could get into the mix. If west shuts him down, which I'm sure is their number one goal, then there is little else East can bring to bear that will match West's offensive output...and their sheer numbers. East doesn't field many bodies on game night.

Last edited:
Isn't McKinney the small tailback? If he is, then he's one of the weapons I was referring to. If not, then it's that little guy...He gets low and has the moves--and certainly the speed. What I was wondering was why East didn't keep sending him up the middle or between the right guard and tackle--he was slicing through them most of the second half, but they tended to get away from him. West has the speed to maintain him, and has the tenacity to "attack" the offensive line. NM's defense appeared to have the goal of "holding" the line until linebackers could get into the mix. If west shuts him down, which I'm sure is their number one goal, then there is little else East can bring to bear that will match West's offensive output...and their sheer numbers. East doesn't field many bodies on game night.
McKinney is #24 , the little guy is Flowers # 21 ( also a solid athlete)

Reactions: Buzzard15
With Lomax and Leake everyone knows WM can run for days but it wouldn't surprise me if they aired it out from the get go. EM better keep that in mind because I know Dozier can throw it and there is plenty of speed to go get it.

With Lomax and Leake everyone knows WM can run for days but it wouldn't surprise me if they aired it out from the get go. EM better keep that in mind because I know Dozier can throw it and there is plenty of speed to go get it.
I know J. Dozier can throw it as well, but what is odd is that his completion rate is only 50%, is it because of drops or high risk / high reward passes. Any WM posters have an opinion?

It's varied throughout the year based upon what the game plan is. There have been some games where we've had drops in the short passing game. Trying to make a move before securing the catch kind of stuff. There's been other games where we have gone deep exclusively and he lays it out there where our guys get it or no one does. He does a great job of protecting the ball.

Reactions: Buzzard15
Just incase we want to get back to the game. Presale tickets are for sale in the main office until Friday at noon. Tickets are $ 5.00 for presale and at the door but presale will have there own gate for quicker entry. What ever the outcome we can all agree Montgomery County Wins. It will be worth 5 bucks just be a part of history. Just remember both teams have more games and have bigger goals. Just hope these young men stay healthy and show the true spirit of this county.

Good luck to all involved
Are they for sale at both schools?

Lest not forget the kid has a rifle for an arm. Seen him throw it right through their hands.
A lot of his bad passing numbers are due to dropped passes because of that. He sure did throw some nice rainbows against SD last Friday though! I was impressed!

Amended realignment numbers are out.... em dropped 20 students, will remain 1A. Guess the waiver wire just heated up or the Anchor School just got a sudden influx of students!!!!!!! How do you "drop" 20 students from attendance??? LOL...oh well.... No chance of a dry field come Friday night. Looks like it's going to be a sloppy in the trenches game. We ALL know who that'll favor.

If you haven't read the Montgomery Herald today you should! There is some great stuff about our teams! Jon Galloway has put together some good history and some good comparison's of each team! I don't know if he posts on here or reads all of our blabbing but if he does then "Good Job Jon"!!!

Reactions: justanotherfan46
Amended realignment numbers are out.... em dropped 20 students, will remain 1A. Guess the waiver wire just heated up or the Anchor School just got a sudden influx of students!!!!!!! How do you "drop" 20 students from attendance??? LOL...oh well.... No chance of a dry field come Friday night. Looks like it's going to be a sloppy in the trenches game. We ALL know who that'll favor.
Do tell.

Be careful BD I just did my homework and we went from 601 to 575 so you may lose that argument!

WM and em had submitted data that was wrong from the get go. Losing that number was flagged. They recounted and the current numbers are accurate. Person/persons responsible made a clerical error. Losing that many students is highly unheard of. Looking forward to a good game.

WM 35 em 7

I may be one of the thousands in attendance. I have enjoyed watching the old way end this year. North Moore and my Comets beat the great bull puppies this year. This is the year that East beats West. West is over confident. After watching both teams I feel that East is by far the better prepared team. At the end of the West game the players were tired and we were running all over them. East did not seem to be tired in our game. West does not have the discipline that is needed to beat a good team. Mark my words West is over confident and not as good as East. East wins by at least three scores.

I may be one of the thousands in attendance. I have enjoyed watching the old way end this year. North Moore and my Comets beat the great bull puppies this year. This is the year that East beats West. West is over confident. After watching both teams I feel that East is by far the better prepared team. At the end of the West game the players were tired and we were running ll over them. East did not seem to be tired in our game. West does not have the discipline that is needed to beat a good team. Mark my words West is over confident and not as good as East. East wins by at least three scores.
wisbone101, the bull puppies got waxed by union academy by 27. what makes them the GREAT BULL PUPPIES? EM has worked hard and it shows. i know alot of these kids from east. Great kids and parents. I also know many of the kids at west. One just so happens to be a nephew of mine. I can assure you West is not over confident. Good coaching will not allow things like that to happen. Great parents of these players and they have put their heart and soul into these kids. They are not over confident, they just know how to win. I do not know what your football knowledge is, but I will mark your word on west losing by three scores because that is just your opinion. East is a much improved team, but i think you got your wires crossed somewhere. West is the team that will win by three or four scores. Love the kids from both schools. I think what your real problem is that EM and WM both spanked your comets pretty good!

I think I hear the drums..........................................................

Wow. 1-9 Avery v/s 9-1 Mitchell and 4-5 Gates County v/s 7-2 Plymouth both made game of the week and 10-0 WM v/s 9-1 EM didn't. I guess some folks aren't expecting this fierce rivalry to be much of a game...lol :cool:

Reactions: Warrior'77
I've been trying to vote for the game of the week on WFMY2's website but it's not pulling up for me. Can one of you yahoos post the link please. Yeah Griddie, I hear that sound too..... Hopefully the chickens will make it through the next two days with the same cocky attitudes that they are displaying around town. Saw several of the em players in Troy last evening and they really showed some class................

Never once called anyone an idiot, said anything negative about players. Yes, I said em has been irrelevant in 1A football. Zero playoff wins since 1995. If you think stating a fact is degrading in anyway then you need to stop following sports all together. Personal attacks...never. Making generalized statements about a fan base is all part of sports. I take it you are one that revels in participation trophies. Well, I for one think that the topic at hand is Friday night's game.

WM 35 em 7
I guess you can strike "never said anything negative about players" from your sterling post record.

Reactions: WestHeadHunter
Strike it, mark it, do whatever you want. Seeing the players in Troy sporting the letter jackets in McDonald's was showing their true colors. Biscoe has a McDonald's. Stay on that side of the river. It was done to send a message and it was received.

Strike it, mark it, do whatever you want. Seeing the players in Troy sporting the letter jackets in McDonald's was showing their true colors. Biscoe has a McDonald's. Stay on that side of the river. It was done to send a message and it was received.
You are talking about kids. If they did something wrong, you should give someone details and report it, Im sure Coach Hammer will handle it if warranted . Im sure they were trying to send YOU a message. How many tackles are you going to make tomorrow night?

Tickets are being sold at the board of education office in Troy. Wonder what the numbers are from that location?

Ha Ha!! I won't be making any tackles but I will be pulling for a running clock. I wonder how many em fans are included in that or is that just ticket sales from east? I hope they keep the two fan bases on their respective sides. Too many knuckleheads on both sides of the river and lots of bad feelings.

Ha Ha!! I won't be making any tackles but I will be pulling for a running clock. I wonder how many em fans are included in that or is that just ticket sales from east? I hope they keep the two fan bases on their respective sides. Too many knuckleheads on both sides of the river and lots of bad feelings.
I specifically asked her, was that a total # and she said yes.

Gotta figure another 800-900. Crowd will be less than 2,000 people. Getting out of that place is going to be a nightmare at halftime!!!! Ha Ha!!

Last edited:
Yeah this week eagles should stay on the east side of the river and warriors on the west. Put a Gate on that bridge.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT