ADVERTISEMENT

Week 8 Area Picks

Slasher Killer

Sep 23, 2010
S Stokes at MA

Last week proved to be the lowest scoring affair MA’s had in a long time as the Bears didn’t go into bloodthristy mode, instead they did just enough for the running clock to get out of Ronda. This week they return for homecoming vs a very underwhelming South Stokes squad who can’t seem to catch a break. Their QB got hurt 2 weeks back but he returned last week to make it close vs Alleghany for most of the game, however Alleghany was too physical late and wore them out. This week won’t be the same game, MA’s line is too good for South to handle. MA by whatever they want.

ES at Forbush

The Pilot Cards hit the road this week to East Bend to play the Bush fresh off their first win for the year. They came alive late to troll and take away Elkin’s chances at the win and spoiled their homecoming. The Bush’s running back came alive like I figured he would and it proved too much for Elkin to handle. This week they fast their third Surry team in a row as East rolls in, fresh off a big comeback win over WC. East’s been jamming as of late after changing things up on offense it seems to have been the trick. Forbush meanwhile is struggling on both sides as the line’s super young on both ends and it’s effected them harshly. This week will be another hard outing for the Falcons.

E Wilkes at Elkin

The Ronda Cards make the short trip up the road to the north for another matchup of this underratedly fun rivalry. The scores haven’t always been close in this series but these two teams sure play hard every year no matter what. There’s been some classics despite that like the 2017 game for instance. This year I don’t think it will be one unless EW just overlooks Elkin or they have another bad start. Elkin has WAY more to play for though in the grand scheme.

Elkin was 1 quarter away from a program statement win over the Bush last week before they embarrassingly fell apart to a Forbush team both way younger and smaller in size to them. They badly need to find some momentum moving forward or else the year will end in another very sad way for another year in a row. They badly need a big win here, next two weeks are the best options for it, but easier said than done.

EW should be fine here, but they can’t afford to slip either. This will be a great test to see if they have overcome the bad starts.

N Stokes at Alleghany

Speaking of underrated rivals here’s another good matchup for that. Back in the day these two teams used to play for in some cases their best chances at wins vs each other and you’d have really inspired play from both squads, this year’s matchup should be no exception. North Stokes has responded from a very low # situation to managing to making it and playing better albeit not very good at all on offense. They have been shut out 4 times this season and in two out of the last three games. They have got to turn the corner in a hurry to be able to compete and this week will present a chance at that. However Alleghany is no slouch. Their record is very deceptive as they are WAY better than that 2-4 record. The 3 game stretch they had playing good teams super close paid off in respect and helped for their RPI despite a losing record. This is the portion of their record where they can take off and improve their chances for a home game, and I expect that to happen this week. N Stokes may keep it close for a bit if Garcia can get chances to run it, but if not Alleghany will win by what they want.

Regardless a Trojan win at home.

Reidsville at W Stokes

Last week proved to be what I expected for WS as North Forsyth’s offensive woes are continuing as they struggle to score even more now with the schedule getting harder. All NF managed was a safety out of nowhere, however they did the trick on defense and held West to only 15 points, which wasn’t a good thing for West. West needed to score at least 3 times in my mind to show they have advanced past their issues from earlier in the year, they haven’t and it showed last week. However their defense is legit and one of the best they’ve had in a while. It’ll keep them going the rest of the year.

This week they face their biggest test of the year in conference as they host Reidsville. Last year they managed to keep the game close for a little bit as they played smart and exploited Reidsville’s youth and mistakes for a quarter before a bad 2nd put them in the hole and they couldn’t overcome it. This year both teams are older than last year and I expect another close one for all the gold this time as these two are the two best in that conference. Whoever wins this will get a lot of momentum as both head into the weak part of their schedules. I just think Reidsville’s more complete on offense and that matters in slugfests. That being said expect West to keep it close for a while if they get all the breaks.

W Wilkes at W Central

The Eagles last week surprised a lot of folks (not me I expected it given their JV history,) and managed three solid quarters of play to a near upset.. Then they just fell apart out of nowhere and let ES just wakeup and run away. It was a performance equivalent to their season in general: the Eagles were a lot of flash for 3 big quarters and matched the physicality, then they just amounted for dash late as East took off. WC’s offense isn’t designed to be able to play from behind in that way and they paid for their errors late. WW meanwhile won a thriller for homecoming over a Surry Central team they shoula beat by a lot worse. Had a great opening quarter and played bad the rest, shoula won it away earlier. WW still can’t seem to be conclusive on anything so I like WC’s chances here.

WC’s gonna have a size disadvantage but I feel they have been playing gritier ball this year when it matters. West hasn’t beaten the Eagles in 17 years and that will be a demon that will be hard to get off their back. Rivalries mean a lot in situations like this and I expect WC to be playing for a lot of pride here.

Hibriten at Ashe

Ashe let one slip away last week as they struggled with Alexander Central’s size and let the game slip away into OT. Ashe couldn’t stop them when it mattered late into the OT after a solid comeback 4th quarter. I was really bummed with that one as I wanted Ashe to win it. However size will kill you in that league. It won’t get any easier for the Huskies as they host a young but jamming Hibriten squad who has a lot of momentum. Ashe needs to match that intensity or it will be a long night on the mountain.

North Forsyth at Walkertown

A matchup of two of the more disappointing squads this year, I expected way more out of both, especially NF. NF’s offensive woes are proving to be toxic to their playoff dreams, while Walkertown meanwhile is just too young to fully compete yet for the higher level of the area. Walkertown’s managed to get a win in conference while NF hasn’t yet, so they don’t have nearly as much pressure here. NF however is deep in the pit, one more loss and their chances are pretty much over. If NF wants any shot at a playoff spot they got to pull one of the rabbit hat here.

I expect either a high scoring slugfest or thriller here, no in between.

PL Prep at Bishop
Corvian Community at Carver
CSD at WS Prep

Reactions: Bearmod1
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT