ADVERTISEMENT

The pairings for the N.C. Junior State tournament at Cherryville’s Fraley Field:

Hon Dines

Aug 21, 2002
China Grove, NC
Thanks Linkman

(Saturday, July 15)
Game 1 – Area 1 No. 2 (Beaufort Post 15) vs. Area 4 No. 1 (South Caldwell Post 29), 10 a.m.
Game 2 – Area 2 No. 2 (Wilmington Post 10) vs. Area 3 No. 1 (Davidson County Post 8), 12:30 p.m.
Game 3 – Area 3 No. 2 (Carson Post 342) vs. Area 1 No. 1 (Roanoke Post 37), 3 p.m.
Game 4 – Host (Cherryville Post 100) vs. Area 2 No. 1 (Calabash Post 503) – Cherryville wins by forfeit
(Sunday, July 16)
Game 5 – Loser Game 1 vs. Loser Game 2, 10 a.m.
Game 6 – Loser Game 3 vs. Calabash – Loser Game 3 wins by forfeit
Game 7 – Winner Game 1 vs. Winner Game 2, 12:30 p.m.
Game 8 – Winner Game 3 vs. Winner Game 4, 3 p.m.
(Monday, July 17)
Game 9 – Winner Game 5 vs. Loser Game 7, 10 a.m.
Game 10 – Winner Game 6 vs. Loser Game 8, 12:30 p.m.
Game 11 – Winner Game 7 vs. Winner Game 8, 3 p.m.
(Tuesday, July 18)
Game 12 – Winner Game 10 vs. Loser Game 11, 11 a.m.
Game 13 – Winner Game 11 vs. Winner Game 9, 1:30 p.m.
(Wednesday, July 19)
Game 14 – Winner Game 12 vs. Winner Game 13, 11 a.m.
Game 15 – if necessary, 2 p.m.

Also in Area II Calabash Post 503, the #1 team, notified the Junior State tournament officials yesterday that they would not be coming to Cherryville. According to the info I heard the team had been using several travel ball players during their playoffs and knew they would be disqualified so they opted out.

Area II determined they could not send another team this late so it turns out that the opponent Calabash was to face in the first of round of the tournament Saturday (Cherryville) wins by forfeit.

Results and remaining schedule:

(Saturday, July 15)
Game 1 – Area 1 No. 2 (Beaufort Post 15) vs. Area 4 No. 1 (South Caldwell Post 29) – South Caldwell 9-1
Game 2 – Area 2 No. 2 (Wilmington Post 10) vs. Area 3 No. 1 (Davidson County Post 8) – Davidson County 12-2 in 5
Game 3 – Area 3 No. 2 (Carson Post 342) vs. Area 1 No. 1 (Roanoke Post 37) – Carson 9-7
Game 4 – Host (Cherryville Post 100) vs. Area 2 No. 1 (Calabash Post 503) – Cherryville wins by forfeit

(Sunday, July 16)
Game 5 – Beaufort vs. Wilmington – Wilmington 2-1
Game 6 – Roanoke vs. Calabash – Roanoke wins by forfeit
Game 7 – South Caldwell vs. Davidson County – Davidson County 9-2
Game 8 – Carson vs. Cherryville – Cherryville 7-6

(Monday, July 17)
Game 9 – Wilmington vs. South Caldwell, 2 p.m.
Game 10 – Roanoke vs. Carson, 4:30 p.m.
Game 11 – Davidson County vs. Cherryville, 7 p.m.

(Tuesday, July 18)
Game 12 – Winner Game 10 vs. Loser Game 11, 4:30 p.m.
Game 13 – Winner Game 11 vs. Winner Game 9, 7 p.m.

(Wednesday, July 19)

Reactions: Hon Dines
After yesterday's action the 4 teams left in the tournament are all Area III and Area IV teams. Cherryville beat Davidson County last night 9-2 in the winner's bracket game and has assured themselves of being in Wednesday's championship game regardless of the outcome of today's 7:00 game vs Area IV foe South Caldwell.

In the 4:30 game today Area III foes Davidson County and Carson will battle it out in an elimination game.

Last edited:
The results and pairings for the N.C. state tournament at Cherryville’s Fraley Field:

(Saturday, July 15)
Game 1 – Area 1 No. 2 (Beaufort Post 15) vs. Area 4 No. 1 (South Caldwell Post 29) – South Caldwell 9-1
Game 2 – Area 2 No. 2 (Wilmington Post 10) vs. Area 3 No. 1 (Davidson County Post 8) – Davidson County 12-2 in 5
Game 3 – Area 3 No. 2 (Carson Post 342) vs. Area 1 No. 1 (Roanoke Post 37) – Carson 9-7
(Sunday, July 16)
(Monday, July 17)
Game 9 – Wilmington vs. South Caldwell – South Caldwell 14-4 in 6
Game 10 – Roanoke vs. Carson – Carson 9-4
Game 11 – Davidson County vs. Cherryville – Cherryville 9-2
(Tuesday, July 18)
Game 12 – Carson vs. Davidson County, 4:30 p.m.
Game 13 – Cherryville vs. South Caldwell, 7 p.m.
(Wednesday, July 19)

After yesterday's action the 4 teams left in the tournament are all Area III and Area IV teams. Cherryville beat Davidson County last night 9-2 in the winner's bracket game and has assured themselves of being in Wednesday's championship game regardless of the outcome of today's 7:00 game vs Area IV foe South Caldwell.

In the 4:30 game today Area III foes Davidson County and Carson will battle it out in an elimination game.
I can't tell you how much I hate that the winner's bracket champion has to play a 1 loss team before the championship. It makes absolutely no sense to me. You should be rewarded for getting to the championship with no losses and have to be beaten twice.

The pairings and results for the N.C. state tournament at Cherryville’s Fraley Field:

(Saturday, July 15)
(Sunday, July 16)
(Monday, July 17)
Game 9 – Wilmington vs. South Caldwell – South Caldwell 14-4 in 6
Game 10 – Roanoke vs. Carson – Carson 9-4
Game 11 – Davidson County vs. Cherryville – Cherryville 9-2
(Tuesday, July 18)
Game 12 – Carson vs. Davidson County – Davidson County 9-8
Game 13 – Cherryville vs. South Caldwell – South Caldwell 10-4
(Wednesday, July 19)
Game 14 – Carson vs. South Caldwell, 11 a.m.
Game 15 – Championship: Cherryville vs. Game 14 winner, 2 p.m.

Reactions: Hon Dines
Wednesday's results:

South Caldwell won two games yesterday to capture the 2023 Junior Legion state championship defeating Cherryville 8-0 in the championship game. South Caldwell defeated Davidson County 6-4 in Wednesday's first game to get to the championship game.

It was South Caldwell's 4th Junior Legion state title. Area IV teams have won the state title the past three years (Cherryville won it in 2021 and Burns won it in 2022).

The stupid winners bracket game where an undefeated team has to play a 1 loss team strikes again.

If that game costs you the championship, then you might want to reconsider your strategy.
I completely disagree. An undefeated team shouldn't have to play a 1 loss team before the championship game. They have earned the right to be beaten twice by the same team in the "championship round." It is a pointless game. I'm a Cleveland County (Shelby) fan. I hate Cherryville, so I'm glad they lost. But it doesn't take away the fact that that game is stupid.

I completely disagree. An undefeated team shouldn't have to play a 1 loss team before the championship game. They have earned the right to be beaten twice by the same team in the "championship round." It is a pointless game. I'm a Cleveland County (Shelby) fan. I hate Cherryville, so I'm glad they lost. But it doesn't take away the fact that that game is stupid.
I agree that the best option is for the winners bracket winner to go to championship day to be beaten twice. From memory as I don’t have a bracket in front of me, believe it adds a day to the tournament. Legion pays for hotel rooms so there is the pushback. My reply was not about the decision on which format to use for the tournament but the strategy used within the current format. I’m personally going to save my best two remaining pitchers for the last day and not pitch them on Day 4.

I agree that the best option is for the winners bracket winner to go to championship day to be beaten twice. From memory as I don’t have a bracket in front of me, believe it adds a day to the tournament. Legion pays for hotel rooms so there is the pushback. My reply was not about the decision on which format to use for the tournament but the strategy used within the current format. I’m personally going to save my best two remaining pitchers for the last day and not pitch them on Day 4.
Well then.....I agree with that.

Have to go back to the 8 team bracket. In double elimination Carson would of been eliminated in Game 12. Game 13 would of been Davidson County Vs South Caldwell. Winner faces Cherryville and has to beat them 2.

South Carolina has it right with the bracket. They do a 6 team Senior Bracket....should be 8 but I digress. Rock Hill had to beat Florence 2 on Sunday. Congrats to Florence on another State Championship.

Reactions: CLTTarHeel33
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT