ADVERTISEMENT

The 2024 NC/SC Coaches Transfer Portal

Mr. Rutledge

May 28, 2022
Can someone please verify on how many coaches have already entered the Portal Transfer into South Carolina?

All of them are heading out. The poor compensation is getting to coaches. They're followed closely by assistant coaches. Players are essentially trapped with what they can obtain, with parents going where the closest exposure exists. The top is where the issue is. North Carolina will start receiving super coaches when they begin paying more. Our inability to compete with South Carolina is the saddest aspect. Someone has to make the necessary repairs because we are losing everything very quickly.

All of them are heading out. The poor compensation is getting to coaches. They're followed closely by assistant coaches. Players are essentially trapped with what they can obtain, with parents going where the closest exposure exists. The top is where the issue is. North Carolina will start receiving super coaches when they begin paying more. Our inability to compete with South Carolina is the saddest aspect. Someone has to make the necessary repairs because we are losing everything very quickly.

You think they care?

You think they care?
It's impossible to guess as a fan whether or not they care—we simply don't know. Let me share this observation: eight NC coaches have moved to SC in recent months. Included in them is Coach Cory Johnson. It is a tremendous loss for NC to lose a top coach between the 1A and 4A arenas. Soon enough they wont have a choice but to pay more.

It's impossible to guess as a fan whether or not they care—we simply don't know. Let me share this observation: eight NC coaches have moved to SC in recent months. Included in them is Coach Cory Johnson. It is a tremendous loss for NC to lose a top coach between the 1A and 4A arenas. Soon enough they wont have a choice but to pay more.
I don’t think that they will start paying more, because despite the low pay, there are still plenty of coaches lining up to fill the spots of the guys that leave.

It took years of having unfilled teaching positions for school districts to start offering signing bonuses and increased teacher pay. There are still multiple applications for every coaching job that comes open, so nothing will change.

\/\/\/
I don’t think that they will start paying more, because despite the low pay, there are still plenty of coaches lining up to fill the spots of the guys that leave.

It took years of having unfilled teaching positions for school districts to start offering signing bonuses and increased teacher pay. There are still multiple applications for every coaching job that comes open, so nothing will change.

"Plenty of coaches lining up" is not the same coaches the programs are looking for. Instead, they simply play it safe and CHECK THE BLOCK by choosing the best qualified coaches out of the bunch. Those same coaches do not come with the same level of experience as the SC coaches.

Until then you will continue to see the same results year after year.

"Plenty of coaches lining up" is not the same coaches the programs are looking for. Instead, they simply play it safe and CHECK THE BLOCK by choosing the best qualified coaches out of the bunch. Those same coaches do not come with the same level of experience as the SC coaches.

Until then you will continue to see the same results year after year.
I agree with you that the coaches who end up filling the jobs may not be as qualified as the guys that they are replacing.

I also agree that they don’t have the same level of experience as the coaches from SC or the ones who are going to SC.

The original post was trying to make the point that they should increase coaches pay in order to keep quality coaches. They should definitely increase coach and teacher pay, because what their pay is pathetic.

My point is that the school and district leaders have zero motivation to increase coaches pay as long as there are still candidates applying for the jobs. They don’t care about quality as long as the job is filled.

If they start having positions that are going unfilled, then they might use increased pay or bonuses to entice new candidates, but there hasn’t been a need for that now.

I recently saw a district in SC that is offering $15,000 hiring bonuses for new certified teachers in their district. That is 6-7x what some coaches make and is nearly half the annual salary of some teachers.

The $15,000 is not being offered because SC cares more about teachers or coaches, it’s because the district is in the middle of nowhere and they have open positions that have gone unfilled for years.

Reactions: 2Grine
I agree with you that the coaches who end up filling the jobs may not be as qualified as the guys that they are replacing.

I also agree that they don’t have the same level of experience as the coaches from SC or the ones who are going to SC.

The original post was trying to make the point that they should increase coaches pay in order to keep quality coaches. They should definitely increase coach and teacher pay, because what their pay is pathetic.

My point is that the school and district leaders have zero motivation to increase coaches pay as long as there are still candidates applying for the jobs. They don’t care about quality as long as the job is filled.

If they start having positions that are going unfilled, then they might use increased pay or bonuses to entice new candidates, but there hasn’t been a need for that now.

I recently saw a district in SC that is offering $15,000 hiring bonuses for new certified teachers in their district. That is 6-7x what some coaches make and is nearly half the annual salary of some teachers.

The $15,000 is not being offered because SC cares more about teachers or coaches, it’s because the district is in the middle of nowhere and they have open positions that have gone unfilled for years.
Just as most school board administration dont care about kids in class selling & smoking vapes. Playing dice in class - Admin doesn't do NOTHING about it. First time caught with vape should be the last time that student attends that school and then sent to alternative school. It's a sad world and tough days ahead for teachers and substitutes. Then the students brag about it by flashing a bunch of $20s during class. Just as long as they keep the classroom filled and pass the kids through each grade whether they slept their life through the whole school year.

Positions unfilled is exactly what should happen. These NC positions are being filled by average coach experience. I understand everyone needs a chance somewhere but not in a spot where losing is not an option.

Your $15,000 comment makes sense.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT