ADVERTISEMENT

Statesville @ Mitchell

I guess I'll start, Mitchell returns 7 kids that started in the 1aa regional championship in 19, we lost the best line we ever had, but gained a couple of valuable linemen since then it comes down to decision making fri night, not just our coaching but our QB and our running backs, left or right, pass or run, with decent blocking I think we squeak one out in Ledger to get off to another great season, Mitchell 21 Statesville 20

Reactions: Mhsneer
I heard Statesville has lost few players. Looking at their roster lot of freshmen. Anyway they will have big speed advantage. Mitchell will need eat clock have chance to win.

If Statesvilles offensive line is solid, Mitchell will have a hard time containing their athletes. If Mitchell can win at the line of scrimmage, they have a chance. Could be a good game but I hope I am wrong but I think Statesville pulls away for a 35-13 victory.

Statesville is a different type of athlete anyone on the mountain is used to seeing.

Reactions: Slasher Killer
I did read with Statesville 1st practice they had around 44 players to turn out. This of course is from 9-12 grade. It may be they pick few up from basketball. Anyway Statesville will be really low on numbers for varsity. Wouldn’t surprise me to see Mitchell win.

If Statesvilles offensive line is solid, Mitchell won't be able to contain the athletes. Could be a good game but I think Statesville pulls away for a 35-13 victory.
You've
If Statesvilles offensive line is solid, Mitchell won't be able to contain the athletes. Could be a good game but I think Statesville pulls away for a 35-13 victory.
You've lost your mind, no way they put 35 on our defense 3 6 foot plus linebackers that'll hurt you all 3 played in the regional championship last year these kids play both sides of the ball and are tough they remind you of a Smokey Mt team
member: 16930"]
I heard Statesville has lost few players. Looking at their roster lot of freshmen. Anyway they will have big speed advantage. Mitchell will need eat clock have chance to win.
[/QUOTE]
We have killer linebackers this year, same as last year, they're mean and hungry I

Reactions: Player2020
If Statesvilles offensive line is solid, Mitchell will have a hard time containing their athletes. If Mitchell can win at the line of scrimmage, they have a chance. Could be a good game but I hope I am wrong but I think Statesville pulls away for a 35-13 victory.

Statesville is a different type of athlete anyone on the mountain is used to seeing.
How would they fare against East Surry? We gave them all they wanted and got cheated out of a chance to go for 2 to beat them, you're forgetting we didn't lose everyone and we are pretty used to seeing teams off the mt considering we played in 4 regional championships in 5 yrs

We got the clock eaters similar to yours, Hoyle is good for 5 y a carry so is Duncan

Statesville's line is huge, it will interesting to if their new skills can match up to last years. Conversely, Mitchell's linebacker and stable of running backs are looking pretty good, but the line gives up some size to years prior. If Mitchell can capitalize on drives, and get a few stops, I feel like they can win. If Statesville runs wild, and gets a few stops, well, it could get ugly.

Statesville's line is huge, it will interesting to if their new skills can match up to last years. Conversely, Mitchell's linebacker and stable of running backs are looking pretty good, but the line gives up some size to years prior. If Mitchell can capitalize on drives, and get a few stops, I feel like they can win. If Statesville runs wild, and gets a few stops, well, it could get ugly.
Only a couple of new skills, running backs both played in Regional last year, I guess it'll come down to our line and our new qb as to whether we win or lose

Statesville has a good program. This year they definitely will be down. Here are the strikes against them going into this game.
Lower numbers than usual with more under classmen
Heard they had no scrimmage
Making the long trip
Playing in some cold nasty weather
I feel with all the factors this favors Mitchell Co. I could be wrong but we will see.

I’d say Wallace rose hill and east surry last year had speed like statesville. We won’t be shocked by it. Wrh that year had javonte Williams and two backs that played d1. Really comes down to our young linemen. We probably start couple sophomores. They’re strong kids though.

East Surry is the closest thing Mitchell has seen to Statesville type athletes since Wallace Rose Hill. When it comes to athletes. When it comes to pure athletes top to bottom of the roster though Statesville would be a step up though.

If this was last years Mitchell team, I'd give Mitchell the nod or a closer ball game.

Reactions: Kylar2018
East Surry is the closest thing Mitchell has seen to Statesville type athletes since Wallace Rose Hill. When it comes to athletes. When it comes to pure athletes top to bottom of the roster though Statesville would be a step up though.

If this was last years Mitchell team, I'd give Mitchell the nod or a closer ball game.
I do agree that Statesville, has more speed then MITCHELL. But MITCHELL has beat teams in the past more athletic then Statesville, mountaineers beat Erwin the warriors are just athletic as statesville.

East Surry had great skill speed last year but let's not pretend they had anywhere near the team speed of a typical Statesville team lol.

That's an anomaly in itself, most years East Surry is not that much different than a team like Owen speed wise, in fact I would say Owen has more year to year.

Last edited:
Inner city speed is a different animal.
As is eastern speed. The only place you are going to find Statesville level speed out here consistently is Asheville High. Though schools like Roberson, Reynolds and Erwin wouldn't be too far off that most years.

Mitchell has played teams like this before but none of their current kids have so that won't do them any good. With that said given the weather conditions and Statesville seemingly in a down year I think Mitchell could surprise some people.

You could be right.

Speed doesn't mean everything. I've seen Elkin, Swain, Robbinsville all take down teams way faster than them before. I'm sure Reidsville out matched East Surry last year. But speed from the city and coastal plains is just plain different. It comes down to fundamental football at the end of the day which we know Mitchell will play.

I still think Statesville pulls away after halftime.

Reactions: Kylar2018
Statesville lost several players that option out to early College. They would have been a big impact for the 2020 team. They will have a new QB that is unproven at this time. They were preseason rank in the Sweet 16 Charlotte Observer before the 2020. Thanks to covid 19 that will fall for Statesville big time. It might take Statesville a couple of years to build back up.

So let me get this straight.

Option A- Statesville wins, this is due to the fact they are vastly superior in the speed game.

Option B: Mitchell wins, this can only happen because all of he speed left Statesville.

Just making sure I am following this correctly. I suppose all those D1 athletes from E Surry were way to slow for the coastal speed of Tarboro last year. Have I got this right? Or is Tarboro not inner city? I am so confused.

Could it be as simple as the best team will win on Friday night? Naw what am I thinking.

PS. This is not a shot at Tarboro, you are the current standard of which 1a wants to be.

Go Mountaineers

Inner city speed is a different animal.
Lets just go ahead and say what you are tip toing around. Inner city speed, eastern speed. What you are trying to say, is, black kids are faster than white kids, you are just afraid of sounding racist. Speed is speed, and speed is colorblind, but black people, on average, I'd say tend to be more athletic. Which isn't racist at all.

Lets just go ahead and say what you are tip toing around. Inner city speed, eastern speed. What you are trying to say, is, black kids are faster than white kids, you are just afraid of sounding racist. Speed is speed, and speed is colorblind, but black people, on average, I'd say tend to be more athletic. Which isn't racist at all.

Can’t say I disagree. “Speed” is a covert word for diverse schools. Generally, the more diverse a school, the more speed they have. East Surry is an anomaly and outside of those 3 or 4 kids, their team speed is average. You line up 30 kids from that school against 30 from Statesville and conduct a race in a straight line, 28 of those Statesville kids are winning every time. Thems the facts.

This is an intriguing matchup. May have to check it out on the interwebz. Good luck to both.

Can’t say I disagree. “Speed” is a covert word for diverse schools. Generally, the more diverse a school, the more speed they have. East Surry is an anomaly and outside of those 3 or 4 kids, their team speed is average. You line up 30 kids from that school against 30 from Statesville and conduct a race in a straight line, 28 of those Statesville kids are winning every time. Thems the facts.

This is an intriguing matchup. May have to check it out on the interwebz. Good luck to both.
It's not a footrace just a game of sprints if it were track I wouldn't show up, it'll be a good game

Reactions: Mbulld
I think the biggest thing with both teams is taking care of the ball and keeping mistakes and penalties as much as possible. I know for Statesville they also have good talent over the years but they had issues of turnovers and penalties that would hurt them. Example back in 2018 when they played South Iredell they should of won that game. But with fumbling the ball and penalties it costed them 2 or 3. TDs. They lost in a close one.

I think the biggest thing with both teams is taking care of the ball and keeping mistakes and penalties as much as possible. I know for Statesville they also have good talent over the years but they had issues of turnovers and penalties that would hurt them. Example back in 2018 when they played South Iredell they should of won that game. But with fumbling the ball and penalties it costed them 2 or 3. TDs. They lost in a close one.
Turnovers are killers

Reactions: Vik-Val 86
As is eastern speed. The only place you are going to find Statesville level speed out here consistently is Asheville High. Though schools like Roberson, Reynolds and Erwin wouldn't be too far off that most years.

Mitchell has played teams like this before but none of their current kids have so that won't do them any good. With that said given the weather conditions and Statesville seemingly in a down year I think Mitchell could surprise some people.
7 of our kids played Erwin last season so we have seen some speed, honestly you'll be surprised how quick a few of our kids actually are

3A picked to win their Conference vs. 1A picked to finish 3rd or 4th in theirs. Sounds like a bad mismatch to me. New QB and Line for Mitchell if we can keep it close I will be happy.

Reactions: wncbowhunter
Statesville will be young - Statesville has some size on their line, but young on both size of the line . Skilled position- They still have some WRs they can pass to and Their QB is unproven but has played QB before HS. Statesville is low on # as stated and Lost a lot of their best player but I think they will be better than most think - Speed and Athleticism always helps

I think If Mitchell win is if 1. They can win the line and 2. Make statesville pass bc Statesville best position is RB bc they have at least 3-4 guys run you over.

Reactions: Thunder_struck8712
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT