ADVERTISEMENT

Starmount Head Football Coach (Updated 5-15; Greg Lloyd hired)

Fortner at North Stokes was a starmount guy, Perdue from elkin and his brother are both starmount guys and i'd imagine possible candidates, the DC at Starmount now is coach Reeves id imagine hes putting in for it as well

Reactions: BlueDevil1996
My pick would be Noah Tomlin if he stay. He was a NI player and join Grinton at Starmount but He O Line/D line coach I believe so He young and he been on staff so I think if they went with a inside hire he may have a shot

Reactions: Orange01
Monty Chipman
Carroll Co. High School.

MONTY CHIPMAN
Physical Conditioning / P.E. / Head Football Coach
Associate Arts Degree Wilkes Community College
B.S. Appalachian State University Health/Physical Education K-12
30 Years Teaching Experience Wilkes County Schools N.C.

30 Years Football Coaching Experience North Wilkes & East Wilkes High Schools

Reactions: Doppleganger#
As far offense goes for Starmount their bread and butter is pretty much the wing t? If am not mistaken they still run the wing t?

Last edited:
How is the Pay at Starmount compare to others? I do know support is very good at Starmount which is a pulse and for 1A program they do have nice facilities.

This should draw high interest.

Had nothing to do with on field performance. I’m surprised it did not happen sooner, but I guess they needed to do their due diligence. Any other coaches resigning or leaving at Starmount?

Had nothing to do with on field performance. I’m surprised it did not happen sooner, but I guess they needed to do their due diligence. Any other coaches resigning or leaving at Starmount?
Why? Grinton is a good guy. I met him a few times at North Iredell n He always treated me with hospitality

^^^

This is what I have been hearing as well - nothing to do with on-field performance at all. I will say that if what I have been told by several people in the Starmount community is true, the message boards is not a place to post it.

^^^

This is what I have been hearing as well - nothing to do with on-field performance at all. I will say that if what I have been told by several people in the Starmount community is true, the message boards is not a place to post it.
Uh oh…… That doesn’t sound good

Uh oh…… That doesn’t sound good
Not at all. I am sure it will come out sooner or later.

I will say, though - I have known Coach Grinton for years and years and he has always been a class act and a tremendous person (to me) all-around - and I think a lot of people would say the exact same things. That's how I still view him to this day, even given the "reports" that I have heard. He always treated me with respect and was always very uplifting - so that's how I will continue to view him. People make mistakes and shouldn't be judged or characterized by them.

I will say, though - I have known Coach Grinton for years and years and he has always been a class act and a tremendous person (to me) all-around - and I think a lot of people would say the exact same things. That's how I still view him to this day, even given the "reports" that I have heard. He always treated me with respect and was always very uplifting - so that's how I will continue to view him. People make mistakes and shouldn't be judged or characterized by them.
I met Grinton a few times as a Football official as I did 2 scrimmages at North Iredell back when I actually did football officiating and He always treated me with respect.

It depends on what that mistake is. We tend to have a hard time believing or accepting when good people make mistakes.

I've always liked Coach Grinton and agree with you about him being a class act and respectable person.

I will reserve any judgement for any truths that come out and refuse to acknowledge any rumors as we all should.

It has though, been weird to me how this situation has been kept so tight lipped in these small communities.

I don't think it has anything to do with his performance at school. Although that football team has underperformed in my opinion. But I don't think they're going to get anybody in there that's going to make them do any better. Not with the way that county is. His parents getting mad when their kids ass gets chewed out. The reason it was so tight lived is for two reasons. I will say it doesn't matter what those are. He was given the option to resign. And he did. Frankly if I were him. And except for the relationship with another teacher thing which I don't think is against the rules, I dont think he should of resigned. Starmount needs to accept he was the best they were gonna get and accept that. However. He was asked and he did. Probably so the a holes that are transferring their kids back to Starmount would not send them to another school yet again. Any way. I wish he would of pressed the issue and stayed and not resigned. You talking about a school system being in a pickle. Oh Lord. Two of the three big things that he would have had on them I would have loved to have seen them get rid of him. But I'm guess he doesn't want to rock the boat. It's a shame. He should. He should wear that county out.

Reactions: CLTTarHeel33
Poor Sandy.. I always felt sorry for him. He loved that school and it was always his dream to be there in charge. It just didn't work out. Sometimes you can't fit a round peg into a square. Wish him well whatever he decides to do, he was always a good fellow to talk to.

Well it's gonna be an interesting few weeks for sure. This is a dream job for a lot of guys and the school's gonna be able to pick anyone they want. Having Frasher in charge will help make the process more solid for sure since he went through it. They are going to have to decide to go with someone who's a homer or an outsider.. Starmount's not really hired an outsider much in their history. Last time I believe was when they hired Holt in the 70's. It worked out but they haven't had to do so since.

The favorite for me is probably Pardue. He was Johnson's right hand man when they made the title game but he was a hot commodity, and couldn't wait to take the spot so he went to Walkertown. It ended badly but he won a conference title and beat MA there. That's good enough to get any looks from any school if he ever does want a job. He's done a good job as Elkin's AD keeping it stable there but if I were him I'd be foolish not to apply for it. If that happens and he gets hired Starmount would dominate that rivalry for a good while. Reeves would work good too. He had a hard time at N Stokes but that 2015 team he had was pretty good. He didn't get enough credit for how well he did as the interim at Walkertown that year. They made a huge mistake not keeping him because he did well enough to keep the job. He's a great fundamentals HC and always focuses on the run first and I think that would really make the community there happier as they were never fans of the spread and how Sandy ran it.

Outside wise Chris Johnson would be an excellent fit. He's very similar to Reeves but imo I think he does it better. His last 2 schools used him and dumped him before he could see his work truly pan out, that Forbush move especially was foolish. If he was to get the Starmount job he'd make it a mission to take Forbush out every year and it would make that rivalry all the more intense.

Whoever does get it will have a good opportunity to get some wins in the next few years. They have some young talent coming in that will be worth waiting on. Their JV was one of the quietly solid teams last year and had some big boys on the line. From what I understand their incoming Freshman class could be just as solid if not more so. The older 2 classes aren't awful by any stretch. With the right offense picked out there's no reason why they can't compete. They'll be one of the teams to watch for sure.

Reactions: Sportsnut17
Slash, as always, you didn’t disappoint on your post. Do you think Purdue is making too much money at Elkin with it being a single school system?

I think he's done a great job. I don't think the last 4 or 5 years have been very good. But he really hasn't had very much talent. Regardless of what people say. They've got some size. But not that much speed. Making themselves a one-man show the last 2 years I think was a terrible decision. Yes they were good for a quarter quarter and a half against good teams but once they shut that one player down it was over. I don't think that this is a desirable job. I think if a guy went in there like a BW. And told everybody to get lost that he didn't give a crap what they were going to put their kid or where they wanted to play their kid or if they wanted to transfer or whatever. And they would give him this person three or four years. Then I think he could possibly have a good team. But right now it's become like a Wilkes county School. Where your dad knows best. But really he don't know squat. They need to get rid of that first. Sandy is a first class individual. Regardless of what you think about is choices in his personal life. He cared about the kids he worked his ass off to try to help them and he taught them a lot. I don't think you'll find many kids that graduated or that played for him that won't say the same thing. I have a few that I know that think the world of him.

I think he's done a great job. I don't think the last 4 or 5 years have been very good. But he really hasn't had very much talent. Regardless of what people say. They've got some size. But not that much speed. Making themselves a one-man show the last 2 years I think was a terrible decision. Yes they were good for a quarter quarter and a half against good teams but once they shut that one player down it was over. I don't think that this is a desirable job. I think if a guy went in there like a BW. And told everybody to get lost that he didn't give a crap what they were going to put their kid or where they wanted to play their kid or if they wanted to transfer or whatever. And they would give him this person three or four years. Then I think he could possibly have a good team. But right now it's become like a Wilkes county School. Where your dad knows best. But really he don't know squat. They need to get rid of that first. Sandy is a first class individual. Regardless of what you think about is choices in his personal life. He cared about the kids he worked his ass off to try to help them and he taught them a lot. I don't think you'll find many kids that graduated or that played for him that won't say the same thing. I have a few that I know that think the world of him.
I think everyone knows Coach Grinton is a Class act and he is one most humble n nicest people you can meet but I think he had similar issues at North Iredell because I know he was at NI is pretty much primary run the ball not pass much at all n Ofc talent level is probably a reason but I know many weren’t happy with play calling when he was at NI.

I do disagree that this isn’t a desirable job - I think this one of the Top 1A job in the area I think u have have Starmount as top 30-40 type school in 1A and I know for a fact few people who would want this job. Obviously the favorite is Pardue but I do think folks who local (within and around) starmount will apply. Ofc Mt airy/East surry are best program I would have Starmount as 3rd or 4th

I don’t like daddy ball either so

Reactions: BigRedFan27
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT