ADVERTISEMENT

SMC XC Discussion's Here!

Cherokee @ Swain MDN should be on YouTube under Maroon Devil Network. and a OBTW, Swain's men's and women's XC teams won the SMC Titles today!
That is about as shocking as when Georgia won the national title last year. I know Swain really good at running events like XC and Track. Is there a chance they get another state title this year Kevin? I don't follow it much but its always pretty cool to see a SMC school win a state title

That is about as shocking as when Georgia won the national title last year. I know Swain really good at running events like XC and Track. Is there a chance they get another state title this year Kevin? I don't follow it much but its always pretty cool to see a SMC school win a state title
The SMC has a really good chance at claiming both the individual titles this year. The defending 1A champions ( a young man from Andrews and a young lady from Cherokee) were both just freshmen last year. I apologize for not remembering their names but I'm not really a cross country guy.

Reactions: KevinFromSwain
The SMC has a really good chance at claiming both the individual titles this year. The defending 1A champions ( a young man from Andrews and a young lady from Cherokee) were both just freshmen last year. I apologize for not remembering their names but I'm not really a cross country guy.
What about as a team I know swain XC girls are supposed to be good didn’t they win it last year

The SMC has a really good chance at claiming both the individual titles this year. The defending 1A champions ( a young man from Andrews and a young lady from Cherokee) were both just freshmen last year. I apologize for not remembering their names but I'm not really a cross country
O’Malley Salinas from Andrews. Spelling of name may not be correct but close

O’Malley Salinas from Andrews. Spelling of name may not be correct but close
Both of those schools (Cherokee girls and Andrews boys) won the middle school team titles this year, too. So the future is really bright for both. Andrews is especially interesting because so far in Salinas' career they've not had enough runners at the high school level for a team score, even though they'd do well if they could get a few more kids out. Hopefully the middle school team success indicates that will change while they still have an individual state champion running for them.

Last edited:
Yes, I think the Women's team are the defending champs and have a great shot at it again. The Men's XC have won it in the past and have a strong team this season. Hayesville was rank 5th in the state and Swain smoked them with a score of 25 or 26 to 60 plus points on the SMC title meet. Reminder, lower the score the better.

Reactions: BK13T-$
Dvdaya Swimmer for Cherokee. That girl has been impressive and I can't wait to see what the future holds for her.

As far as the boys team, the first title they've won in 6 years or around there. To have multiple runners under the 17-minute mark is amazing for a team. The coaches have been doing something right and the kids have put in the work for sure. Maybe we bottle and sell the water from Deep Creek? That has to be the secret.

This has given me a good laugh. Has anyone noticed that buzzedcoach has changed the title of this a couple of times? Having a little temper tantrum. Here buzzed I'll make you feel better- Mt Airy, Mt Airy, Mt Airy.
I was wondering why he started a SMC thread instead of putting the queston on an already on going SMC thread ? Oh, attention deprived and master of all the west ! lol

Reactions: recycled2
I changed it to be funny!
stone-cold-steve-austin-fake-laugh.gif

Yes, I think the Women's team are the defending champs and have a great shot at it again. The Men's XC have won it in the past and have a strong team this season. Hayesville was rank 5th in the state and Swain smoked them with a score of 25 or 26 to 60 plus points on the SMC title meet. Reminder, lower the score the better.
Swain's women have won 6 straight running state championships ... Cross Country, In-Door Track, and Out-Door Track. They are overwhelming favorites this year. Their coach, Keith Payne, is amazing.

I don't know if any other team in the SMC has been this dominant in XC/Track. Murphy and Hayesville had some good teams in the 90s.
Murphy won five women’s XC state titles in a row in the 90s, and three of them were 1A/2A titles. Hayesville girls won four state titles in a row in the mid-2000s. But as far as XC and track both you’re probably right

Number of athletes help larger 1A schools a lot. A lot of smaller schools don’t have enough athletes to participate in every event in track where as a larger school has multiple athletes in every event including Pole Vault which Swain has had for quite a few years when no other SMC team had anyone at all. Not taking anything away from Swain who has a great program with great athletes. Swain has so many participants that they have two teams A&B. You can tally up the points with a lot more numbers. They also have the best Coach in 1A

Not just 8th title. 8th title IN A ROW! A special group of runners we have and coaches who care and get the most effort. Was great to see the boys get 3rd too. Big improvement for them.

• Love
Reactions: KevinFromSwain
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT