ADVERTISEMENT

SEMI FINALS ROUND 5 1A BOYS WEST

I know the 4 teams from Charlotte all driving up to McDowell Co. will be grumbling about their site, but honestly couldn't ask for a better neutral site for the 1A.
I don’t understand the grumbling. It’s closer for all 4 Charlotte schools to come to McDowell than it is for Bishop or WS Prep to go to AC Reynolds.

I know it’s impossible to figure out NCHSAA, but does anyone have any logic why neutral site HS?

Reactions: Hon Dines
I don’t understand the grumbling. It’s closer for all 4 Charlotte schools to come to McDowell than it is for Bishop or WS Prep to go to AC Reynolds.
I can see why the 4A schools would be mad. Sure, it's far for WSPA to go to AC Reynolds, but it's a whole lot shorter than it would be for them to go to Hayesville. It's pretty much the exact halfway point. In 4A, Charlotte Catholic and Weddington are going to drive past their opponents and keep on going for another hour plus. It's not a meet in the middle situation for them. Overall, though, I think they did a pretty good job finding big gyms that are pretty central.

I know it’s impossible to figure out NCHSAA, but does anyone have any logic why neutral site HS?
Travel is one reason. No team in the fifth round should have to travel 3-5 hours to play on someone's home court. I want to see how Prep and Hayesville comes out. Hayesville is a very good team with that big man in the paint.

I can see why the 4A schools would be mad. Sure, it's far for WSPA to go to AC Reynolds, but it's a whole lot shorter than it would be for them to go to Hayesville. It's pretty much the exact halfway point. In 4A, Charlotte Catholic and Weddington are going to drive past their opponents and keep on going for another hour plus. It's not a meet in the middle situation for them. Overall, though, I think they did a pretty good job finding big gyms that are pretty central.
And for McDowell, it’s a large arena that seats 3,500-4,000 with ample parking as the football stadium seats 7,000+. It’s just a few miles from I-40 as well.

The NCHSAA is setting on millions of dollars. They can afford to do the college campuses. SMH NCHSAA
Exactly, but they are morons so no surprise. The Regionals used to mean something for all the teams involved. Playing in a once-in-a-lifetime stadium is something they remember, no matter the outcome. Most will never experience that ever again. But for the 4 regional participants playing at Wake Forest in the Semi and Finals was an experience in itself. Shame on NCHSAA. I though it was about the kids!!?? Well, we all know different but was expecting a little more. What a joke.

Simple math.

1A opponents are each over two hours travel time from one another. I expect WSP to Hayesville is well over three hours. They are meeting at a somewhat central location (although Hickory and some others would have been better georgraphically but I understand the logistics).

Chambers to Charlotte Catholic is 30 minutes. Weddington to North Meck is 45 minutes. That is the route each school will take to McDowell. Once Weddington drives by North Meck they will travel another 1:45 minutes to McDowell.

If the costs to rent UNCC or Davidson is $10,000 more than McDowell I think they would come close to making that money up. You wrote about turning people away. Putting the games two hours away is the equivalent of turning some people away. If the 3A or 4A boys were in Meck County metro area I would l have went today and probably had three other guys with me.

AC Reynolds is pretty much perfect for WSP v Hayesville. 2 hrs 10 for WSP vs. 1hr 50 for Hayesville. Only high school I can think of more central would be CD Owen and the capacity isn’t the same as ACR. I realize why fans in Charlotte might be grumbling, but don’t fault the NCHSAA the way they did it. The year they book a venue in or around Charlotte for 4A will be the year they end up with teams from Asheville or Winston Salem, who will complain about having to take a longer trip to play in their opponent’s back yard.

Last edited:
Reactions: MountainSports
AC Reynolds is pretty much perfect for WSP v Hayesville. 2 hrs 10 for WSP vs. 1hr 50 for Hayesville. Only high school I can think of more central would be CD Owen and the capacity isn’t the same as ACR. I realize why fans in Charlotte might be grumbling, but don’t fault the NCHSAA the way they did it. The year they book a venue in or around Charlotte for 4A will be the year they end up with teams from Asheville or Winston Salem, who will complain about having to take a longer trip to play in their opponent’s back yard.
Yep exactly. There will never be a way to please everyone. I doubt who ever wins will be complaining making the 2+ hour trek to the triangle next week.

Simple math.

1A opponents are each over two hours travel time from one another. I expect WSP to Hayesville is well over three hours. They are meeting at a somewhat central location (although Hickory and some others would have been better georgraphically but I understand the logistics).

Chambers to Charlotte Catholic is 30 minutes. Weddington to North Meck is 45 minutes. That is the route each school will take to McDowell. Once Weddington drives by North Meck they will travel another 1:45 minutes to McDowell.

If the costs to rent UNCC or Davidson is $10,000 more than McDowell I think they would come close to making that money up. You wrote about turning people away. Putting the games two hours away is the equivalent of turning some people away. If the 3A or 4A boys were in Meck County metro area I would l have went today and probably had three other guys with me.
Btango, not sure if you can confirm, but the Frank Spencer finals were not held at the LJVM this year, maybe be first time since it opened. I was told by a Forsyth County AD that Wake Forest was not as cooperative as in the past, hence finals were held at RJR and North. Also why WF was not in the mix for football championships

WF sports complexes for events other than WF is run by the GSO coliseum complex.

Prep played well, did a great job creating turnovers and made a run after they got down double digits after 3 when a lot of teams would’ve laid down. They made a logical decision to focus on Ashe since he’s the floor general, but I don’t think they realized that McTaggart could step out and shoot, and he’d hit a few from NBA range and gotten in a groove before they adjusted. I think he hit one from beside the A in ACR logo and one near the WSP bench along the volleyball line. Didn’t get too many more looks from 3, but Hayesville guards shot it well from 3 after that, which opened things up for McTaggart to go to work in the paint 2d half.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT