ADVERTISEMENT

RPI

portcity FB

Nov 8, 2004
I don’t mind using computers in the process but not using the human element weakens the process in my opinion. Pinecrest has vaulted to the #1 seed in the East. Roseville has arguably played four team better than any team Pinecrest has played and after the WF game they may have played 5 teams better yet Roseville is at #2. Yea, Roseville lost to the #1 team in the state but anyone who knows anything about football would reward Rolesville with their schedule and play. I’m sure there are issues in other classes as well but we can do better than this.

I don’t mind using computers in the process but not using the human element weakens the process in my opinion. Pinecrest has vaulted to the #1 seed in the East. Roseville has arguably played four team better than any team Pinecrest has played and after the WF game they may have played 5 teams better yet Roseville is at #2. Yea, Roseville lost to the #1 team in the state but anyone who knows anything about football would reward Rolesville with their schedule and play. I’m sure there are issues in other classes as well but we can do better than this.
Rolesville will be rewarded, assuming they win their remaining games. Pinecrest remaining two games will lower their RPI. It will play out.

Butler is ranked 8th in the west, Butler defeated Weddington who is the number 1 team and their only loss was to Rolesville. Maybe an Independence win will “help” but I doubt it. As long as Butler is relatively healthy in the playoffs I think they will be fine.

Pinecrest being undefeated right now is helping their RPI and Scotland was 7-0 going into Friday. Union Pines and Hoke will lower their RPI, even with the possibility of Pinecrest going 10-0. Rolesville or Cleveland will definitely jump them. Just don't think Pinecrest is at the level of those 2.

Reactions: FB fan 92
Rolesville will be rewarded, assuming they win their remaining games. Pinecrest remaining two games will lower their RPI. It will play out.
What this system is rewarding is playing .500 teams and winning. Pinecrests opp winning percentage is under .600 and their opp opp wining percentage is under 54%. Rolesville is 64% and 57%. The are being punished because they scd the #1 team in the state. They are also being punished because CG scd some very difficult non conf games and lost 2. This is where having a human element in the process makes sense.

Pinecrest non conf scd
Knightdale 2-6
Overhills 4-4
Middle Creek 5-3
NH 4-4
15-17

Rolesville non conf scd
Butler 8-1
Grimsley 8-0
E. Wake 2-6
CG 6-2
24-9

So the way to go is to try and scd average teams that will go 6-4 and win out. Thats the RPI formula for high seeds.

What this system is rewarding is playing .500 teams and winning. Pinecrests opp winning percentage is under .600 and their opp opp wining percentage is under 54%. Rolesville is 64% and 57%. The are being punished because they scd the #1 team in the state. They are also being punished because CG scd some very difficult non conf games and lost 2. This is where having a human element in the process makes sense.

Pinecrest non conf scd
Knightdale 2-6
Overhills 4-4
Middle Creek 5-3
NH 4-4
15-17

Rolesville non conf scd
Butler 8-1
Grimsley 8-0
E. Wake 2-6
CG 6-2
24-9

So the way to go is to try and scd average teams that will go 6-4 and win out. Thats the RPI formula for high seeds.
I don’t disagree with you that scheduling difficult teams can hurt your RPI if you don’t win. However, you also cannot reach your conclusion prior to all teams, completing the regular season schedule. Personally, I am not a fan of the human element because of the bias that “can” occur.

What I appreciate about the RPI system is that it’s three-dimensional. Some people complain about the fact that it looks at your opponents opponents winning percentage. I believe that is an important element that should be factored into the formula. It is one reason I don’t believe Pinecrest will stay atop the RPI.

Ultimately, the fact that Grimsley has not had a difficult schedule is one of the factors hurting Rolesville as well. You say Grimsley is the number one team in the state and I am told they certainly have the talent and may very well win the state championship. However, they have not had the strongest schedule to prove that.

I was not a fan of our last system which used max preps, if I’m not mistaken. Who knows what formula Max preps uses. At the end of the day, with RPI, at least I know the formula and that the “human element”, which could be biased against my team, is not a factor.

I don’t disagree with you that scheduling difficult teams can hurt your RPI if you don’t win. However, you also cannot reach your conclusion prior to all teams, completing the regular season schedule. Personally, I am not a fan of the human element because of the bias that “can” occur.

What I appreciate about the RPI system is that it’s three-dimensional. Some people complain about the fact that it looks at your opponents opponents winning percentage. I believe that is an important element that should be factored into the formula. It is one reason I don’t believe Pinecrest will stay atop the RPI.

Ultimately, the fact that Grimsley has not had a difficult schedule is one of the factors hurting Rolesville as well. You say Grimsley is the number one team in the state and I am told they certainly have the talent and may very well win the state championship. However, they have not had the strongest schedule to prove that.

I was not a fan of our last system which used max preps, if I’m not mistaken. Who knows what formula Max preps uses. At the end of the day, with RPI, at least I know the formula and that the “human element”, which could be biased against my team, is not a factor.
I agree with much of what you posted. Thats why I feel we should use both. We can have an RPI system but then be able to make small adjustments that simply make sense and encourages teams to play strong scd. Anyone who is true to football would look at Pinecrest and Rolesville sch and scores and see who deserves what. Most polls and rating have Pinecrest outside the top 10.

I'll go ahead and say it. This is one of the reasons I don't respect Grimsley's high ranking yet. They're SOS is low, kind of in the Mooresville and Lake Norman territory. They have a gravy train schedule and will end up with home games until the championship. The same thing with last year. They're fortunate in that they were able to outscore everyone in the playoffs except for New Bern. They're defense was questionable.

I'll go ahead and say it. This is one of the reasons I don't respect Grimsley's high ranking yet. They're SOS is low, kind of in the Mooresville and Lake Norman territory. They have a gravy train schedule and will end up with home games until the championship. The same thing with last year. They're fortunate in that they were able to outscore everyone in the playoffs except for New Bern. They're defense was questionable.
I agree with you, but one thing I will point out is that Grimsley plays in a conference with eight teams. This means they only get to choose three non-conference opponents. They played three traditionally, strong teams. Out of those three teams, only Rolesville is having a strong year.

To me, that is a big flaw in the system. Some conferences have only six teams while others have eight. It is a big scheduling advantage when you can choose five non-conference games versus a team like Grimsley, who only can choose three.

Last edited:
They beat Rolesville by 30 points hung 63 on them, and played Tabor who is a traditionally strong team. There are 8 teams in the conference so they can only play 3 non-con games, they don’t choose what conference they are in. Rolesville beat Butler..

Reactions: mrhonda
I guess you mean #1 in 4a when you say #1 in the state.
Rabun and PD are 1/2

They beat Rolesville by 30 points hung 63 on them, and played Tabor who is a traditionally strong team. There are 8 teams in the conference so they can only play 3 non-con games, they don’t choose what conference they are in. Rolesville beat Butler..
Butler was missing seven starters (reported on Observer preps who spoke to coaches at Butler). In other words the team that beat Weddington and Hughes is different than the one that faced Rolesville in week one but a win is a win. Considering it was a multi turnover game by Butler and to only lose by two lets you know how good Butler is.

Grimsley i feel has earned the number one ranking, technically they haven’t lost since Porter Ridge took them out in the playoffs a couple years ago. Of course the New Bern loss is a forfeited win. They beat the best Charlotte teams en route to the title game. They have been on a under rated run starting with their title season.

Butler was missing seven starters (reported on Observer preps who spoke to coaches at Butler). In other words the team that beat Weddington and Hughes is different than the one that faced Rolesville in week one but a win is a win. Considering it was a multi turnover game by Butler and to only lose by two lets you know how good Butler is.

Grimsley i feel has earned the number one ranking, technically they haven’t lost since Porter Ridge took them out in the playoffs a couple years ago. Of course the New Bern loss is a forfeited win. They beat the best Charlotte teams en route to the title game. They have been on a under rated run starting with their title season.
Whoever reported seven starters were missing did not get that from the coaches and is ridiculously wrong. Only one starter was out that game. Granted there have been some changes since then.

That is my point exactly….they don’t get to choose their conference. It unfortunately is a disadvantage to them.

Reactions: ocdavis31
Not sure what everyone is arguing about. Rolesville will be the #1 team. Pinecrest will drop to 3-4 range because their remaining conference opponents are not good. The RPI system will balance it out after next week.

I guess you mean #1 in 4a when you say #1 in the state.
Rabun and PD are 1/2
Think we will see PD win this Friday. Would like to see PD v Grimsley. Would be a high scoring game. PD can beat anyone in the state on a Friday. If they played in the Queen City 3A/4A (West Charlotte, Chambers, Hough, Mallard Creek) I think they may could get caught in a game or in a late round playoff game. Does not mean they are not the best team in the state but when playing in a rugged 4A conference with teams loaded with a lot of athletes and size plus numbers it can wear on a team. They are an offensive juggernaut. If you live near Charlotte I would recommend going to Providence Day Friday night to see them take on Rabun Gap.

Chad Grier's recruiting is certainly paying off for Providence Day.
If Coaches, Principals and Teachers can bounce around for a better opportunity, why can't students? If a student was at a failing school with poor teaching, no would blame him for leaving for a better school with top notch teaching and resources. So if a player leaves a school with weak coaching and programs, why can't he leave? You don't stay at a job if you not happy right or lack of advancement correct? Well why can't the players do the same?

As a Weddington fan I don’t understand how we are ranked ahead of Butler. We have the same record and lost to them. I am hoping for a rematch in the playoffs.

If Coaches, Principals and Teachers can bounce around for a better opportunity, why can't students? If a student was at a failing school with poor teaching, no would blame him for leaving for a better school with top notch teaching and resources. So if a player leaves a school with weak coaching and programs, why can't he leave? You don't stay at a job if you not happy right or lack of advancement correct? Well why can't the players do the same?
I don’t think anybody has a problem with students transferring. I think the issue is when a private school decides they want to be a regional football power and invests in that with coaches and players, it is not a level playing field with public schools. Nothing against PD for doing that , Grier will thrive there as long as they support him !

Reactions: btango
I don’t think anybody has a problem with students transferring. I think the issue is when a private school decides they want to be a regional football power and invests in that with coaches and players, it is not a level playing field with public schools. Nothing against PD for doing that , Grier will thrive there as long as they support him !
It's not a level playing field with private schools either. Unless, Christian, Latin, Country Day and the rest of the schools in the NCISAA do the same thing, Providence Day will always roll over them. In their five games with private/parochial schools, including Catholic, Providence Day has averaged 52.2 ppg and allowed 9.6 ppg. Obviously, the other privates and Charlotte Catholic aren't using the same strategies.

Reactions: onioncfb
It's not a level playing field with private schools either. Unless, Christian, Latin, Country Day and the rest of the schools in the NCISAA do the same thing, Providence Day will always roll over them. In their five games with private/parochial schools, including Catholic, Providence Day has averaged 52.2 ppg and allowed 9.6 ppg. Obviously, the other privates and Charlotte Catholic aren't using the same strategies.
Christian was a powerhouse while PD struggled. Grier has taken it up a notch especially with the QV. PD has a couple of big time skill kids, one I have known since youth ball days, and they are all great students. PD wants a big time athletic program but they are not brushing over the academics at this point and I do not expect they will.

Reactions: onioncfb
42-27 Rabun Gap with the ball and a couple minutes remaining. Nasty night didn’t help PD but the size in the trenches on both sides of the ball was their undoing.

Jayden Davis, PD qb, got cracked on the second series. After that PD did not seem to go deep as aggressively.

Look forward to seeing them match up again in the playoffs. PD has something to prove.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT