ADVERTISEMENT

Replacement

Holder can't legally interview for it until July unless he wants to mess his retirement up.
If this has been known since December or before could Holder have already signed up for the Job? Just curious because I have heard this was coming (Adkins leaving only) way earlier than it was being talked about on here. This person said he heard a rumor before January that something big was coming but he would not say because he was not 100% on it but close. Maybe Holder wanted some time away before starting back. I would say it is in his blood to coach or assist. He still has a few good years left. As I said, just curious about Holder getting it.

• Haha
Reactions: buzzcoach
There is So many good potential hires within the staff already. I’ve heard Austin Taylor was the guy if JK ever left. You never know but AT would be a heck of a coach and will keep that staff intact.

Reactions: TD-FridayNight
I wish the best for Coach Adkins, my senior year playing for Mount Airy was his first year. I think it's a great opportunity to coach for your Alma Mater. Now that it has been a day since the news broke, the principal of MAHS said on the radio (WSYD) today that they (MAHS) will conduct a search for the head coach immediately with the application to open for the position February 12. The application for the position will be open for 2 weeks after it opens. The principal said that the process should take a little over a month from now. With that being said I do have some ideas of who they could hire to be the next head coach with reasoning behind it. This is just an idea of mine and no rumor or truth to go with it, just to be clear. So here we go:

North Surry Head Coach Jackson Smith: I feel like this one almost makes too much sense. A former Mount Airy QB coming back to his Alma Mater to Coach the Granite Bears. Though Coach Smith is young that doesn't stop him from winning. He led North Surry to the Foothills 2A Conference Title in 2023 in just his 2nd year with the Greyhounds. Before taking over as head man at North Surry, Smith was an assistant under North Surry Head Coach Patrick Taylor and before that an assistant at Surry Central.

Former East Wilkes Head Coach Jonathan Wilmoth: Coach Wilmoth was Head Coach for East Wilkes from 2018-2022. He led the Cardinals to 4 playoff appearances in 5 years with the exception being the covid year, when there were limited playoff spots. In his last year with East Wilkes, 2022, Wilmoth led the Cardinals to a 9-3 record. This was his best record since taking over. The real kicker on why I feel Coach Wilmoth would be a great candidate is because of his Mount Airy background. Before he took the East Wilkes job, Wilmoth was not only the Offensive Coordinator for Mount Airy under Kelly Holder, but he was also the CO-Athletic Director of Bears Athletics. Wilmoth was the OC at Mount Airy when the Bears went to the State Title game in 2017.

Galax Head Coach Shane Allen: In Galax, VA, Coach Allen has had success ever since he came on as an assistant in 2017. As an assistant under Head Coach Mark Dixon, the Maroon Tide went 33-10, with 1 state championship appearance. Since Shane Allen took over the Galax program in 2020, the Maroon Tide have gone 38-12 in four years, with 3 State Championship appearances in 4 years with a State Title in 2023. Coach Allen knows how to not only maintain success but how to go above and beyond for a program. For Mount Airy and Galax, 2 programs that are very close to each other just in different states, to have great success in football at the same time makes me feel good about it.

Again this is just my idea of who can be great candidates for Mount Airy's Head Coach opening. No rumors or truth are associated with this. It's just my idea. What do you guys think? Who would be a good candidate for the Mount Airy Head Football Coach opening?

I wish the best for Coach Adkins, my senior year playing for Mount Airy was his first year. I think it's a great opportunity to coach for your Alma Mater. Now that it has been a day since the news broke, the principal of MAHS said on the radio (WSYD) today that they (MAHS) will conduct a search for the head coach immediately with the application to open for the position February 12. The application for the position will be open for 2 weeks after it opens. The principal said that the process should take a little over a month from now. With that being said I do have some ideas of who they could hire to be the next head coach with reasoning behind it. This is just an idea of mine and no rumor or truth to go with it, just to be clear. So here we go:

North Surry Head Coach Jackson Smith: I feel like this one almost makes too much sense. A former Mount Airy QB coming back to his Alma Mater to Coach the Granite Bears. Though Coach Smith is young that doesn't stop him from winning. He led North Surry to the Foothills 2A Conference Title in 2023 in just his 2nd year with the Greyhounds. Before taking over as head man at North Surry, Smith was an assistant under North Surry Head Coach Patrick Taylor and before that an assistant at Surry Central.

Former East Wilkes Head Coach Jonathan Wilmoth: Coach Wilmoth was Head Coach for East Wilkes from 2018-2022. He led the Cardinals to 4 playoff appearances in 5 years with the exception being the covid year, when there were limited playoff spots. In his last year with East Wilkes, 2022, Wilmoth led the Cardinals to a 9-3 record. This was his best record since taking over. The real kicker on why I feel Coach Wilmoth would be a great candidate is because of his Mount Airy background. Before he took the East Wilkes job, Wilmoth was not only the Offensive Coordinator for Mount Airy under Kelly Holder, but he was also the CO-Athletic Director of Bears Athletics. Wilmoth was the OC at Mount Airy when the Bears went to the State Title game in 2017.

Galax Head Coach Shane Allen: In Galax, VA, Coach Allen has had success ever since he came on as an assistant in 2017. As an assistant under Head Coach Mark Dixon, the Maroon Tide went 33-10, with 1 state championship appearance. Since Shane Allen took over the Galax program in 2020, the Maroon Tide have gone 38-12 in four years, with 3 State Championship appearances in 4 years with a State Title in 2023. Coach Allen knows how to not only maintain success but how to go above and beyond for a program. For Mount Airy and Galax, 2 programs that are very close to each other just in different states, to have great success in football at the same time makes me feel good about it.

Again this is just my idea of who can be great candidates for Mount Airy's Head Coach opening. No rumors or truth are associated with this. It's just my idea. What do you guys think? Who would be a good candidate for the Mount Airy Head Football Coach opening?
Coach Austin Taylor already on the staff and played QB for MA

Wilmoth is out of teaching and the schools. Selling Insurance now.

Again these are just my ideas. I should rephrase that Smith has head coaching experience. Don't get me wrong, if it was Austin Taylor or Darren Taylor or Mitch Martin who I also think is a good coach, I think they would be pretty successful. If I was playing again I'd run through a brick wall for these coaches. I'm just saying it helps to have head coaching experience.

Mount Airy has great coaches from within. That's just not Mount Airy's MO. When was the last time they hired from within? Also with a track record like Coach Allen's from Galax, you can't say that he isn't a good candidate.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT