ADVERTISEMENT

Randleman/Trinity at Eastern Randolph (PAC-7 finals)

Chute Boxe Hero

Aug 11, 2005
What a night. ER gym was jam packed. Fans saw a couple of very good games (they darn sure saw a great girls final). If you were an ER fan you were happy on one hand..........very sad on the other. I'll actually start with the boys......

The Wildcats did it!! They defeated Trinity 74-64 to win the conference tourney championship. Cats jumped out to a 30-13 lead and kept the Bulldogs just out of reach for the remainder. The big cat on stage tonight was Timmy Brower. Brower took over the second half. He was either knocking down a silky smooth jumper or getting to the line. Trinity had no one that could stay in front of him. Honestly, I think you could've put Patrick Beverly on Brower and it still wouldn't have mattered.

Speaking of Big Cats.......Jani Norwood had probably his best performance of the year. He did an awesome job of cleaning up underneath. I know he had the biggest shot of the night. With ER up 67-63, Norwood grabbed an offensive rebound of a missed free throw, stuck it back in, and picked up the "And 1" in the process. Norwood muscled in his foul shot to give ER the cushion they needed.

Connor Carter also had a nice game. Par for the course, he hit a few big threes to help the Cats out. His overall game has taken a huge leap forward this season. Devonte Brooks was being his usual self. Getting offensive rebounds/putbacks, hitting runners, and throwing down breakaway dunks.

Despite the loss, the "Payne Train" was rolling. Dominic Payne put on an outstanding performance. I didn't realize, until last night, just how good of a passer he is. Payne was throwing some darts to his fellow Bulldogs. Dylan Hodges and Brandon Campbell also had decent games for Trinity.

As for the girls game..........

53-49. That was the lead ER held in overtime. Then, disaster struck. Two of the most important Lady Cats fouled out. Randleman took full advantage. Jordan Booker hit four straight free throws to tie it up. Then, Gracyn Hall hit a big bucket.

Cats had a chance to win. They came down, got a great look, but missed the shot. Tigers got the rebound. Time out. On the inbounds, they got it in Elizabeth York's hands and she got fouled. York hit two free throws to put the championship on ice. But here's the most painful part.......

Going into the fourth quarter, the Tigers had a 38-30 lead. Then, ER turned up the defensive pressure and Randleman started getting flustered. At the same time, Brecken Snotherly was hitting big buckets and trying to will the Cats back in it.

She got ER within two (46-44) with around ten seconds left. On the next possession, the ball got back into Snotherly's hands. Randleman, who was just trying to foul her (because they had a few fouls to give), messed up and fouled her in the act of shooting a three. Snotherly went to the line and missed the first shot. However, she did sink the next two to send it into OT.

The Lady Tigers can probably thank Gracyn Hall the most for this win. Hall completely controlled the interior. ER post players were really having a tough time with her.

Tigers can also thank Gracie Beane and Jordan Booker. Beane was outstanding. She blocked quite a few shots and hit a couple of huge threes. Beane also hit Booker with a great, back-door pass for a layup late in the game.

Randleman's an excellent team. They do what the great teams do.......adjust and find ways to win. If I'm not mistaken, both Gracyn Hall and Elizabeth York have won both regular-season and tourney championships all four years. That's incredible.

I believe ER fans will be thinking about this game for quite a while. I really hope Brecken doesn't beat herself up over those missed shots. I know she and the rest of the Cats wanted this one badly.

I truly believe that the Lady Cats are a darkhorse for the State championship. I can't wait to see them at least two more times at home.

Also want to give props to Pierce Leonard. This is the second year in a row that Leonard has been part of a team that won both regular-season and tourney championships. Leonard did it with Uwharrie last year.

I heard the games were packed, standing room only. Concessions I'm sure had an awesome night.

Brooks, Payne or Troutman Boys Player of the Year?

Snotherly or Hall Girls Player of the Year?
That will be a tough, tough decision. My picks are Brooks and Snotherly (might be a little biased.....might not be). Those two have been playing at an amazing level. So has Payne.

Big Wolfpack fan here, but I don’t think Thomas has too many friends in the coaching world of the PAC. I don’t think he will get the votes but he should. I’ll agree with Davis for the girls.

Big Wolfpack fan here, but I don’t think Thomas has too many friends in the coaching world of the PAC. I don’t think he will get the votes but he should. I’ll agree with Davis for the girls.
Well, that'll be a shame if it comes down to "who knows who". He's, by far and way, done the best job. If he doesn't get it, I hope it's Matt Kiser. He did a heck of a job as well.

Reactions: thekidd12
You guys are going to be a little surprised on boys POY…
I really don’t agree with who they picked…
And yeah it’s because coaches don’t like ER head man.

• Angry
Reactions: Chute Boxe Hero
Got room for Thomasville in that conference, guys? If this seven class thing happens, the Bulldogs will likely be pushed that way. I can see Wheatmore, PG, Trinity, ER and Thomasville geographically and numerically connected.
Thoughts?

Got room for Thomasville in that conference, guys? If this seven class thing happens, the Bulldogs will likely be pushed that way. I can see Wheatmore, PG, Trinity, ER and Thomasville geographically and numerically connected.
Thoughts?
Personally I like the all Randolph county conference. Except for Wheat and Trinity, short rides on busses. All schools have built in rivalries which makes for good gates in all sports.
Would I trade charter for Thomasville? In a heartbeat 😂😂😂

Reactions: Chute Boxe Hero
I hear you on the same county conference. Definitely good for the gate. I was looking at similarly sized schools to those, and Thomasville is in that mix. Not so much with our Davidson County neighbors. If it goes to seven, gonna be a drastic change for my Bulldogs. Just don’t want to be in a conference with High Point schools. And it has nothing to do with wins and losses.

Reactions: thekidd12
I hear you on the same county conference. Definitely good for the gate. I was looking at similarly sized schools to those, and Thomasville is in that mix. Not so much with our Davidson County neighbors. If it goes to seven, gonna be a drastic change for my Bulldogs. Just don’t want to be in a conference with High Point schools. And it has nothing to do with wins and losses.
After being in with Andrews for quite some time I empathize…

I enjoy playing hpa. The only thing I don’t like is their fate they bring which is nothing . But when they’re good it’s fun

You guys are going to be a little surprised on boys POY…
I really don’t agree with who they picked…
And yeah it’s because coaches don’t like ER head man.
I don't like the sound of that. I'm really hoping it's not who I think it is......

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT