ADVERTISEMENT

Post your scrimmages

Deana_King

Staff
May 31, 2001
Here is the Starmount Football scrimmage schedule:

Wednesday August 9 at North Forsyth HS (6:00pm)
Starmount, Parkland & North Forsyth

Friday August 11th at Starmount HS (6:00pm)
Alleghany vs North Forsyth
Starmount vs Surry Central

We have 2 this year:

Elkin is at North Surry on the 9th.

On the 11th we go to Watauga's jamboree. It's us, Watauga, and Ashe, I believe East Wilkes will be there too if they don't change their mind. They were booked when Wilmoth was still HC.

Excited for both, first time in several years we will host one. Looking forward to checking Watauga's turf out, haven't been up to their stadium since 2008 when Hurricane Ike came in.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sportsnut17
Rowan Co Jamboree
8/11 at Carson HS - Starts at 6pm

East Rowan vs AL Brown
North Rowan vs South Rowan
Salisbury vs West Rowan
Albemarle vs Carson

Im gonna try to go to that give yall updates on it. It should be interesting. I never been to Pisgah stadium is there good parking?
Parking want be a problem .The lot right before you get to the stadium .is a good place .This will be a big test for my Bears .We didn't look good against TC.I understand this will be more like a regular game than that 10 play deal on Wednesday.

Reactions: RealStihl
Watched Starmount scrimmage Parkland & N Forsyth on Weds. The new Coach has changed their offense and played a lot of 4 WR sets. All 3 RBs ran hard & were physical. QB inconsistent, but it's still pre-season. He has a lively arm and can run when flushed out of pocket. Run Defense was impressive but still susceptible to RBs that can hit the hole quickly. Pass Defense was suspect. Gave up several long passes and intermediate routes burned them. I will say this, the whole team was very, very physical. Still blocking after the whistle and letting both teams know that they were not intimidated by their size. Interior Defense and ILB seems to be their strength. Those kids played hard from whistle to horn. First time ever seeing players ejected for fighting during a scrimmage...LOL!!!

Reactions: NCBBFB and Orange01
Watched Starmount scrimmage Parkland & N Forsyth on Weds. The new Coach has changed their offense and played a lot of 4 WR sets. All 3 RBs ran hard & were physical. QB inconsistent, but it's still pre-season. He has a lively arm and can run when flushed out of pocket. Run Defense was impressive but still susceptible to RBs that can hit the hole quickly. Pass Defense was suspect. Gave up several long passes and intermediate routes burned them. I will say this, the whole team was very, very physical. Still blocking after the whistle and letting both teams know that they were not intimidated by their size. Interior Defense and ILB seems to be their strength. Those kids played hard from whistle to horn. First time ever seeing players ejected for fighting during a scrimmage...LOL!!!
Is there a loss of playing time penalty for being ejected in a scrimmagee? Never seen that either.

Is there a loss of playing time penalty for being ejected in a scrimmagee? Never seen that either.

This is from last years (2022-2023) handbook. I did not see this years.

Penalties for an Ejection
(a) Ejections during scrimmages
(1) Coach or student-athlete is suspended from the remainder of the scrimmage - this is inclusive of multiple scrimmage events on the same day (jamboree).​
(2) Student-athlete must complete the NFHS “Sportsmanship” course before being eligible to compete in next scrimmage or contest.​
(3) Coach must complete the NFHS “Teaching and Modeling Behavior” course for any student-athlete or coach ejection during the scrimmage.​

Loved the physical play! It’s something starmount has missed for a few years!

I have seen it many times. I was at Statesville HS in basketball one year and we kicked the whole team out. Coach lost total control.

Reactions: ocdavis31
Is Pisgah still 3A? Have Robbinsville and them ever played before? Or has Robbinsville ever played Tascola? I read the 2 Haywood county schools has one of the biggest rivalries and crowds in western NC when they play each other? Dang there is a lot of tradition and history in western NC!!!

I think this is accurate based on what I saw as well. I think the QB issue will resolve itself once the starter has been named and they get a few games together. The pass defense needs the most improvement. Hopefully that's addresssd asap.

Reactions: Jmappfan5
Is Pisgah still 3A? Have Robbinsville and them ever played before? Or has Robbinsville ever played Tascola? I read the 2 Haywood county schools has one of the biggest rivalries and crowds in western NC when they play each other? Dang there is a lot of tradition and history in western NC!!!
I think they are 3A. Robbinsville and Pisgah play in 12 I think Robbinsville won that game and the scrimmage not starting until like 6:30

Reactions: RealStihl
They didn't play George Wythe they played Grayson County and Floyd County... George Wythe played for title last year but graduated most of their team. If they Mt airy blew out Grayson County that's impressive BC they are supposed to contend for state title this year.

Last year after this scrimmage I said Mt Airy had some things to work on and, frankly, I got beat about the head and shoulders. But I reported honestly what I saw.

Today, at these two scrimmages, My Airy looked big, strong, fast as greased lighten, scored at will, did not let the other team even have a good play, I mean ,,, OMG.

My concern so far this year for this year was ...what is happening between the players ears?

If today is a forerunner of the season, Mt Airy is better than last year by a factor of 3, at least. And they are at least two deep at every position and used 7 running backs and all looked like either stars or future stars.

As to their weakness, I truly did not see one.

I am not blowing smoke. At the 7 or 7 I said they were very relaxed and got burnt several times and looked lax several times. I said and reported what I saw. I am saying that of the 8 teams that were there at George Wythe High School today, I can confidential say if they played each of these in a real game, their would be a running clock at half time in each one.

Sbbbfan, gotta give a few more details than that. Obviously the post was to the point. I was reading that George Wythe is expected to be dominant in the VA 1a ranks this year. Riverheads is usually the team but was hearing George Wythe was expecting a title shot this year.
They wound up scrimmaging Grayson County and Floyd county

Reactions: TD-FridayNight
I agree with REWhitley, this team is FAST and PHYSICAL. Both lines were dominant. Sat with some folks from GWythe & from Nair HS. They were extremely impressed with how much depth we have on the DL and LB. The option was in perfect timing and our WRs were blocking well downfield. CReid is gonna have a big year. He runs through arm tackles and had to be gang tackled all night. Passing game was effective. Like using DDanley as a receiving TE...he is a mismatch for most LBs!!! Gonna be a fun season. Does anybody know who #6 is??? He was in the backfield all night from his LB position.

I agree with REWhitley, this team is FAST and PHYSICAL. Both lines were dominant. Sat with some folks from GWythe & from Nair HS. They were extremely impressed with how much depth we have on the DL and LB. The option was in perfect timing and our WRs were blocking well downfield. CReid is gonna have a big year. He runs through arm tackles and had to be gang tackled all night. Passing game was effective. Like using DDanley as a receiving TE...he is a mismatch for most LBs!!! Gonna be a fun season. Does anybody know who #6 is??? He was in the backfield all night from his LB position.
not sure who number 6 is but I believe he is the sophomore from Charlotte that moved to Mt Airy. My understanding is that he started as a freshman last year.

Tarboro mopped the floor with a few 4A teams tonight, and their defense is VERY STOUT. Nobody passed on them, and nobody ran on them at all. They were perhaps the best team at the jamboree, with 4 others being 4A teams. It’s going to be a good year for the guys in purple and gold.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT