ADVERTISEMENT

POLL: The reason for Richmond's downfall in football.

RD28327

Aug 12, 2003
Carthage, NC 28327
Richmond supporters seem to be very fickle. I mean, a lot of teams would love to go 11-2 and have just a piece of the history that the Raiders have had. And only one losing season ever. Good gracious, I imagine if Richmond had another losing year and didn't make it to the playoffs for whatever reason, we might have the first public hangings in Rockingham since the 1800s.

Richmond has always been the gold standard in football. They are on everyone's mind when the season starts. When you have the success you have had this year it just shows the expectations are pretty big for the fans. Be careful what you wish for.

Originally posted by RD28327:
No, but some folks just get upset over early playoff exits and have gotta point fingers or place blame somewhere.
Now RD28327, you know Richmond fans are spoiled and complain whether winning or losing. If they win, it's not by enough.
Richmond won 11 games this year. Don't think they've fallen anywhere.

Now teams like Jack Britt, South View, & Douglas Byrd have fallen off the map. Why do people not talk about them?

Butler had tremendous talent this year, but lost 3 games. Don't see anyone talking about them.

Indy had a good year this year, but also lost in the 2nd round and have been irrelevant since 2008. Don't see anybody talking about them.

Richmond is like Space Mountain. They're the oldest ride in the park, but they still have the longest lines!

laugh.r191677.gif

winning 10 games a season is a drop off tell that to someone else

I love how people base an entire school's fan base on the 10 that come to a message board. It was an ugly finish. When you have 8 turnovers and only lose by a point, it really makes you feel like the better team didn't win. However, the team that played better that night did win, and that's all that matters. Sure we are disappointed in how it ended, but it wasn't a bad season. Actually, if anything, they went up this year. It's the first time in 8 years that Richmond won 10 regular season games. 7 of their regular season opponents entered the playoffs, 6 of them won at least 1 game, 4 are still playing in the 3rd or 4th round in their state. 10-1 isn't too shabby against that kind of schedule. Considering that there were a lot of younger players this year, combined with the fact that the 9th grade and JV teams pretty much destroyed everyone they played, I'm remaining hopeful. I'll take gradual growth as opposed to no growth.

Call me an optimist, but if Richmond stays in that "above average - great" range, I'll be happy. Too many schools are having the "peak and valley" periods. (A losing record, followed by a deep playoff run, followed by a losing record, etc.) Richmond has had one losing season... ever, and that was 41 years ago. Space Mountain will close before Richmond has a true "downfall in football".

I wouldn't call their program as experiencing a downfall either. Now, in being knocked out of the playoffs the last couple of years....that I would definitely blame on Obama or Eric Holder...one of the two.

I don't think the program has gone downhill. Richmond has long been the standard for 4A programs. When you're the standard, people are going to examine everything you do. They're going to borrow your ideas, they're going to copy what you've done. So I think what has happened is that some programs have caught up.

Also, no two teams are ever alike. The 2014 team is not the 2008 team or the 1998 team. Players move on every year. People seem to forget these are 16, 17, 18 year old kids. Sometimes players step up, sometimes they don't. I wonder how many of us would want our job security to be dependent on what a bunch of teenagers do.

I wouldn't.

I'm unemployed right now, so it doesn't matter to me what 16,17 and 18 year olds do.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT