ADVERTISEMENT

Northwestern 4A/3A

Burkeforreal

Aug 21, 2006
Hadnt heard anything on this one in a while, nobody has touched on it. Wondering we’re all my Hickory Morganton Foothills area people are.

From an early summer standpoint and seeing what all is coming back from South Caldwell and Alexander Central I’m guessing these 2 are gonna make some noise this year. Not sure how much though. Can’t see a conf champ coming from South but that offense at Hickory game showed a ton of promise. Can’t say same thing bout the D though. And of course there’s Freedom. Can’t leave them out. What you guys think?

I wouldn’t count out Watauga

Oh of course not. I was kinda talking bout teams that are improving and do better than last year. I kinda forgot bout Watauga I guess cause they are expected to be good. They hit a brick wall against Weddington. It’s not like they have big time mammoth linemen and 4.1 40 RB and WRs lol. Just s smartly coached group of guys that seem to know how to beat teams that are more athletic. Weddington has the athletes and playcallig which gave Watauga the crash.

From what I understand South should be ok this year if the defense is improved. Don’t expect anything from McDowell. Freedom oughta be fine til playoffs, Watauga at the top, dog fight for 2nd with Freedom and AC with South actually surprising people and pulling up possibly 3rd. Most likely 4th. I believe they’ll take Hickory. Then again, could be anyone’s game from 2nd down. What’s y’all s early thoughts?

No team north of Charlotte will ever beat any team from the Charlotte area in 3A. Thats my prediction

Never seen you around Wham. Thanks though. Pretty short sweet and to the point prediction there. Can any team this year in this conference take down Watauga? 20 or so years ago nobody would even think to place Watauga close to anything near the top football wise. These boys come a LONG way, like Hibriten.

I don’t follow this conference closely, but I was at the Weddington/ Watuaga game last year, that was the most deciplined game I have seen in a long time. Few mistakes made by either teams.

Still a little early for me to say but Watauga should be the frontrunner followed by Freedom.
QB Birchfield looks strong and receiving corp pretty much all return. Several 7on7's in the books and expectations are high in Morganton, with the conference title being the priority. Birchfield committed to Navy so his focus can be his final season of high school!

Still a little early for me to say but Watauga should be the frontrunner followed by Freedom.
QB Birchfield looks strong and receiving corp pretty much all return. Several 7on7's in the books and expectations are high in Morganton, with the conference title being the priority. Birchfield committed to Navy so his focus can be his final season of high school!

My man Pats on the scene how you doing? Is that y’all a QB your talking bout? Sorry I’ve just been out of the loop and forget some of the big names in the conference.

I’m still waiting to see some in-depth analysis on South and Hickory and AC. All of which have been big centerpieces in this conference off and on. Cheerduck holler at us lol.

BFR, how are you my man? Yes, Jayden Birchfield is the QB. A talented qb with some nice targets! Freedom should fare pretty well... the usual 10-11 wins overall with a two deep playoff run, lol.

BFR, how are you my man? Yes, Jayden Birchfield is the QB. A talented qb with some nice targets! Freedom should fare pretty well... the usual 10-11 wins overall with a two deep playoff run, lol.

Always good to see something doing well in Burke. You or anyone hear anything else bout Draughn shutong down or that a way out rumor?

Head Coach Chris Powell is doing some good things at Draughn. I think the overall mentality is changing there with Chris in leadership. Wish the Wildcats the best!

Head Coach Chris Powell is doing some good things at Draughn. I think the overall mentality is changing there with Chris in leadership. Wish the Wildcats the best!

I’m doing pretty good. Could use your prayers. Anyone else reading this I can def use your prayers if you are a believer.

Reactions: beamer24
Hickory is in better shape going into this season than in the last 5. They still haven't settled on a QB, but have looked decent in the 7 on 7 drills so far. Defense has only one way to go and that is up. I've heard the new DC will make a huge difference. The Red Tornadoes are still thin in the ranks of overall players, but Coach Stone will have them competitive. They have a stout non-conference schedule this year. Cody Young will be the headliner from the running back position for Hickory this year.

Hickory is in better shape going into this season than in the last 5. They still haven't settled on a QB, but have looked decent in the 7 on 7 drills so far. Defense has only one way to go and that is up. I've heard the new DC will make a huge difference. The Red Tornadoes are still thin in the ranks of overall players, but Coach Stone will have them competitive. They have a stout non-conference schedule this year. Cody Young will be the headliner from the running back position for Hickory this year.
Cheerduck, please keep me posted on Hickory, I am a huge Coach Stone fan.

Reactions: CHEERDUCK
Been a while since Hickory was a headline team. The 96’ team gave them a super great image but they didn’t hold on to it very long. Not sure if they just had a super athletic group of guys come through or that and really good calls mixed but I tell ya they’ve been missing that for a really long time.

Seems every team this year except maybe McDowell an STS will put on a great show when conference play comes around. Figuring Watauga will be the fav according to some posts but I’m not sure why considering how many seniors they lost and former App States coaches son. Even South Caldwell has a lot coming back and should have more wins. They won’t be like they were 5 or 6 years ago but oughta make strides in better direction

Read today where Bryce Satterfield decided to come back for his Senior Year to Watauga instead of following his Dad to Louisville!!!! Huge get for Pioneers

That’s huge for them that’s for sure. Watauga seems to have become a well rounded program that no matter who they lose they still come out and make plays and perform.

Reactions: ohio tarheels
Yes, Watauga has it together. Coach Habich has done more with that program than anyone
I can think of. His system/play calling is a perfect fit for the base of kids that go through Boone.

I think one thing that has kept him at Watauga is the area. How can you beat Boone/Blowing Rock, and not to mention the $$ that flows through that school!

Read today where Bryce Satterfield decided to come back for his Senior Year to Watauga instead of following his Dad to Louisville!!!! Huge get for Pioneers
I actually just heard he is in Louisville, playing for a Christian school - private league

Satterfield is back in Boone. He's already confirmed his re-enrollment for classes. Watauga's offense will be tough to defend against. Defensively, that's going to be an issue. I know Watauga has beefed up the non-conference schedule with Charlotte--or surrounding Charlotte--teams. I think that will help them prepare for conference and post season. Habich is an excellent coach, really focuses on perfect effort vs. perfection in terms of record or games. Watauga has become a well-oiled machine when it comes to fundamentals and execution.

I think this will be a tough race at the top. Freedom is solid. AC is solid. South has improved. Hickory always has a competitive edge. Could be a 3 time race, idk.

As for the Watauga loss to Wedding, well, they were the state champs. I'll take a one loss season, coming by way of the state champs any day. For a long time Watauga struggled to win 3 games a season. Blessed to have watched the Breitenstein era, and now the Habich era.

Not sure i'll get to watch any Pioneer game play in person, but I'll always be pulling for my Alma mater from afar. Best of luck to all the folks around the conference, prayers for safety and blessed to all those involved with the teams, and HUGE congrats to Birchfield to committed to Navy. I'm an Army vet, but what a privilege to not only play for the midshipmen, but to serve our nation is such a servant academy.

Okay. We now have week one in the books, anything changed from our earlier picks?

I still have Watauga as the frontrunner, with AC and Freedom next and close. After the major disappoint by the Patriots
Friday night I have my concerns. They will bounce back this week against Draughn but
are flat when playing better than avg teams. Not giving up on them yet but we have certainly fielded better teams.

4 teams in this conference that are pretty close.... could be surprised by end of season!

4 teams in this conference that are pretty close.... could be surprised by end of season!

I don’t have my deep knowledge on any team yet but just based on the papers I know we have 2 runninng backs to watch. Piercy from South and that kid from AC. But of course West Caldwell can make any back in the country look like a high recruit however Peircy has looked good in other games last year.

I see South winning 4 to 5 if they are fortunate. This is a great improvement from last year

I don’t have my deep knowledge on any team yet but just based on the papers I know we have 2 runninng backs to watch. Piercy from South and that kid from AC. But of course West Caldwell can make any back in the country look like a high recruit however Peircy has looked good in other games last year.
Both AJ Miller and Montgomery at Alexander we’re impressive against Hibriten.... Add Piercy and Satterfield and that’s at least 4 RB’s

Reactions: patsfball
freedom has a freshman RB that has potential. I'm impressed with the freshman class at FHS.
Future looks bright

I see South winning 4 to 5 if they are fortunate. This is a great improvement from last year

Yeah I’d saw they wasn’t much against Lincolnton and Lincolnton is not even top 3 in their 2A conference. Was down last year but improving.

For those of you thinking Shelby wasn’t that Good. 58-21 over AC Reynolds. Alexander Central beats a mediocre WCentral team. It’s still 1Watauga 2Freedom 3AC finishes in this league

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT