ADVERTISEMENT

New Bern

Would he still run the wishbone?
He's not changing his philosophy; he's already proven he can do it effectively on the 4A stage. Hillside has 3 guys that are game changers in the backfield with one that recently won a state championship in hurdles. He'll take them to a State Championship (maybe multiple) in the next 2-3 years.

He has won at two schools and has a very impressive record. Winning matters. The triple option T formation or wing T still wins at the high school level. Thing is QBs and WR will leave or will find a way out of these schools. College and the pro game is about the QB and WR position. Now not a knock on these offenses just the way the game has gone

He has won at two schools and has a very impressive record. Winning matters. The triple option T formation or wing T still wins at the high school level. Thing is QBs and WR will leave or will find a way out of these schools. College and the pro game is about the QB and WR position. Now not a knock on these offenses just the way the game has gone
Correct, they'll lose some guys either on the roster now or guys will avoid enrolling in the future due to the system. But I know darn well those 3 backs they have are chomping at the bit to get started.

Reactions: Bullzye and ncjeff
We run the Wing T and just sent a QB to WVU, have a TE committed to ND and another TE with 15-20 D1 offers. They don’t always leave if your culture is strong enough.

I was joking with a couple of guys the last few days. I said watch this former Havelock coach apply for the job. I'll be damned if he didn't apply.

Reactions: NewBernBears
He's not changing his philosophy; he's already proven he can do it effectively on the 4A stage. Hillside has 3 guys that are game changers in the backfield with one that recently won a state championship in hurdles. He'll take them to a State Championship (maybe multiple) in the next 2-3 years.
NB had some great RB but their O line made the difference. It is not just big guys or guys that can move. These guys blocked to the whistle and wanted to hit. They understood the system. They were very good. Hillside always has size up front so that will not be an issue. Getting them on the same level will be the key.

NB had some great RB but their O line made the difference. It is not just big guys or guys that can move. These guys blocked to the whistle and wanted to hit. They understood the system. They were very good. Hillside always has size up front so that will not be an issue. Getting them on the same level will be the key.
Hillside always had some of the biggest OL I've ever seen when we played them week 1 for several years straight. I think it's a perfect fit for his scheme and the athletes over there.

Reactions: ncjeff
Jim Bob and Caleb appear to both be persona non grata with the Craven County upper admin.

If I am New Bern I may go for a retired guy who would be willing to step in this late and coach the team using the assistants in place along with the system. As soon as the season is over go after an established HC.

Don't think Bobby Curlins has much interest in returning to the HC position but he has connections to many that could fill the role.

Reactions: BlueDevil1996
Jim Bob and Caleb appear to both be persona non grata with the Craven County upper admin.

If I am New Bern I may go for a retired guy who would be willing to step in this late and coach the team using the assistants in place along with the system. As soon as the season is over go after an established HC.

Don't think Bobby Curlins has much interest in returning to the HC position but he has connections to many that could fill the role.
Bobby just retired for good but he’s helping out in the process. Would be shocked if it wasn’t the DC. Kids love him, he knows the system and also has a kid on the team.

Football Is The Life Blood Of High Schools: CCBOE has been on a power trip for a minute. Run off some of the best coaches in the state bc they need to be in charge SMH

Havelock and New Bern Football:
2005 to Present

Havelock
Charlie Smith 2004 to 2007 record: 13-31
6 and 5 first year 7 and 26 last 3

Jim Bob Bryant 2008 to 2016 record: 118-16
3 State Championships/7 Conference Championships/4 Region Championships

Caleb King 2017 to 2018 record: 27-3
2 Conference Championships/1 Region Championship

Alan Wooten 2019 to 2022: 37-10 with 2 Conference Championships and 1 region championship

New Bern
Bobby Curlings: 2005 to 2017 12 Curlings posted a 115-39-1 record, 7 conference titles and 3 state championships.

Torrey Nowell:
Just completed the 2022 season with a perfect 16-0 season after defeating Grimsley in the 4A title game. Nowell's overall record 2019 to 2022 with the Bears was 43-7 over his four seasons at the helm.

FWIW, I'm hearing no one currently on staff will be the HC. If the process drags out, I could see it happening though.

Football Is The Life Blood Of High Schools: CCBOE has been on a power trip for a minute. Run off some of the best coaches in the state bc they need to be in charge SMH

Havelock and New Bern Football:
2005 to Present

Havelock
Charlie Smith 2004 to 2007 record: 13-31
6 and 5 first year 7 and 26 last 3

Jim Bob Bryant 2008 to 2016 record: 118-16
3 State Championships/7 Conference Championships/4 Region Championships

Caleb King 2017 to 2018 record: 27-3
2 Conference Championships/1 Region Championship

Alan Wooten 2019 to 2022: 37-10 with 2 Conference Championships and 1 region championship

New Bern
Bobby Curlings: 2005 to 2017 12 Curlings posted a 115-39-1 record, 7 conference titles and 3 state championships.

Torrey Nowell:
Just completed the 2022 season with a perfect 16-0 season after defeating Grimsley in the 4A title game. Nowell's overall record 2019 to 2022 with the Bears was 43-7 over his four seasons at the helm.
Smith is the only one "run off", Due to a losing record. The rest left on their own accord. That being said, CCBOE has lost their minds.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT