ADVERTISEMENT

Murphy football 1991-92

How would Murphy have done had they played in the 2A playoffs those 2 years ?
I couldn't say for sure how they would do, but what I can say is the '91 Murphy team is one the select few most athletic teams Murphy has ever fielded. A ton of skill talent and speed with Jake Smith, Chris Dockery, Damon Herron, Phillip Blackwell, Thomas Nelson and company. And that's with a previous 1,000 yard back Jason Johnson missing the entire season with injury. Murphy's track team finished 4th in the 4x100 and 4x200 at the 1A-2A (back when they were combined) state championship track meet the next spring ahead of the likes of Monroe, Forest Hills, Wallace Rose Hill and Thomasville with those same skill players. The '91 group had the individual and the team speed to play with the best in 2A that year.

Most long time Murphy fans consider Jake Smith one of the 2 or 3 best runningbacks to ever play at Murphy, some even consider him the best. Coach Gentry himself put Jake in his top 5 of players he ever coached. Chris Dockery held the title of fastest man from the SMC for over 20 years (ran a 10.8 100 in the early 90's) with his track exploits.

Last edited:
I couldn't say for sure how they would do, but what I can say is the '91 Murphy team is one the select few most athletic teams Murphy has ever fielded. A ton of skill talent and speed with Jake Smith, Chris Dockery, Damon Herron, Phillip Blackwell, Thomas Nelson and company. And that's with a previous 1,000 yard back Jason Johnson missing the entire season with injury. Murphy's track team finished 4th in the 4x100 and 4x200 at the 1A-2A (back when they were combined) state championship track meet the next spring ahead of the likes of Monroe, Forest Hills, Wallace Rose Hill and Thomasville with those same skill players. The '91 group had the individual and the team speed to play with the best in 2A that year.

Most long time Murphy fans consider Jake Smith one of the 2 or 3 best runningbacks to ever play at Murphy, some even consider him the best. Coach Gentry himself put Jake in his top 5 of players he ever coached. Chris Dockery held the title of fastest man from the SMC for over 20 years (ran a 10.8 100 in the early 90's) with his track exploits.
Still hold 100 and 200..

Last edited:
Reactions: RealStihl
Still hold 100 and 200

Most long time Murphy fans consider Jake Smith one of the 2 or 3 best runningbacks to ever play at Murphy, some even consider him the best. Coach Gentry himself put Jake in his top 5 of players he ever coached. Chris Dockery held the title of fastest man from the SMC for over 20 years (ran a 10.8 100 in the early 90's) with his track exploits

Thanks for the reply.

Thank you for the reply. Sounds like the 1991 team would have been a contender at 2A

Reactions: RealStihl
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT