ADVERTISEMENT

Mount Airy @ East Wilkes

EWCards#1

Aug 19, 2004
Ronda NC
As I've said all year EW is very young all across the field. I think only 3-5 seniors on this team in which a team who doesn't have good numbers in general. They are playing decent ball for the experience they have. Unfortunately, a real slap in the face awaits this Friday night. I'm not sold on East getting inside the red zone this week barring a turnover or something by the Bears. I'm just hoping we get a good experience playing a team of this caliber and stay injury free for the remaining games of the season. Maybe after this Friday we can have a better idea of how the rest of the conference will finish. I'm dreading saying this but facts are facts, I'm saying MA by 40+.

Interesting fact EW new coach was one of JK's top assistants during his tenure at EW.

Is south stokes that bad? Or are y'all just improving alot

I think we have improved alot since week 1. Everything is starting to fall together and in sync. However, nothing against South but they couldn't do anything. They are definitely bottom of the conference.

Reactions: TD-FridayNight
Idk if they make it or not. I just know its good. I'd say it's some type of frozen deal but idk. It's almost like Hunt Brothers.

I am pretty sure that if you medium rare Ribeye with Baked Potato and salad you could get it, as good as any steak house. I was delivering a player award two years ago and told them how good I thought they were!

Idk if they make it or not. I just know its good. I'd say it's some type of frozen deal but idk. It's almost like Hunt Brothers.
It is in fact Hunt brothers. Years ago early 2000s the school would sell whole pizza’s frozen off the truck to raise money. East Wilkes and North wilkes may never have consistently been winners over the last 60 years but there concession stands are second to none.

Reactions: buzzcoach
As I've said all year EW is very young all across the field. I think only 3-5 seniors on this team in which a team who doesn't have good numbers in general. They are playing decent ball for the experience they have. Unfortunately, a real slap in the face awaits this Friday night. I'm not sold on East getting inside the red zone this week barring a turnover or something by the Bears. I'm just hoping we get a good experience playing a team of this caliber and stay injury free for the remaining games of the season. Maybe after this Friday we can have a better idea of how the rest of the conference will finish. I'm dreading saying this but facts are facts, I'm saying MA by 40+.

Interesting fact EW new coach was one of JK's top assistants during his tenure at EW.
MA by whatever they want but I am very impressed with the Job the EW staff has done. I was the first to be a little skeptical of the hire. He’s already exceeded expectations for year 1. I figured 5 wins with no seniors would be the peak but you never know at this point I think they’ll be able to finish 3rd in the conference.

Very interesting interview with Bears Coach JK Adkins from last Friday in which he talks about their concept of coming out ready to play and take control of the game and them inserting his 2nd team and younger players to get real live experience and maturing in varsity game situations.

I expect that to continue to be the game plan which also has the side benefit of attempting to make sure all starters are healthy for the later playoff rounds.

Expect a running clock at halftime and 2nd and 3rd teams thereafter.

You're probably on to something there. Heck, I'm just going to enjoy me some bbq and hope there's somewhat of a ball game to watch.

Reactions: buzzcoach
Jv game was a surprise in the first half with the Cards outplayed the Bears. Second half was a complete turnaround dominated by the Bears. See what tonight brings.

not a bad team; you could tell they were not gonna let 5 beat them; could possibly someone in playoffs …

not a bad team; you could tell they were not gonna let 5 beat them; could possibly someone in playoffs …
I noticed that too, on the pitch plays it was like they were told to stay on Mason regardless of what Gallimore did. Next few years in NW will be good to see. Starmount and East Wilkes games will be a battle.

Reactions: sbbbfan
I noticed that too, on the pitch plays it was like they were told to stay on Mason regardless of what Gallimore did. Next few years in NW will be good to see. Starmount and East Wilkes games will be a battle.
Starmount returns 8 of 11 starters and 9 of 11 that played against MA. With the group MA graduates this year I could see both EW and Starmount closing the gap on MA a lot next year.

Reactions: kingbluedevil
While MA return a lot on the roster, they do lose key starters from this year. Most notable Mason, Dandy, Reid, I. Gallimore, Stroup and a few linemen. Mount Airy has depth this year and but there is a drop off when these players come out. Just not nearly as much as other 1a teams usually see if they even have backups. I think this year will be the peak year in between 2021-2026. Not saying MA won't be good in the following years, because they will be. Only that I think this will be the overall most talented team in that time frame. I could see both Starmount and East Wilkes close the gap in the next year or two, but 40 to 55 points (and that is with them letting off) is one heck of a gap to close. And those junior and below players this year will be improving in the weight room and field over the next couple years too. MA will still top this conference for at least the next 2 years barring injury or transfers, but Starmount and East Wilkes will go deeper into the playoffs next couple years with no doubt in my mind.

Reactions: sbbbfan and gdawg74
Bears Will challenge for the west the next 2 years. This group of sophomores is as good at this age as this group of seniors were. Possibly better. Tarboro is the only team in the state in 1a with a sophomore class as talented. But as the year progresses we will continue to ask ourselves just how good is this bears team compared to the past? What would it look like this year if the Coaching staff didn’t apply the mercy rule. What will the playoffs look like for the bears ? Who are the real threats to dethrone the Bears? After watching the tape I think Starmount could quite possibly be as good as any team the bears might play in the west . Yes that includes the knights. There’s gonna be someone that is sick on their stomach Saturday morning seeing the rams coming to their house . East Wilkes as well. The Weak Nw1a will hurt some some feelings this year come playoff time.

Last edited:
Not much of a ball game to see, did any of you MA folk hit up the concessions?

In all seriousness, I noticed EW was trying their best to play heavy up front in the first few drives and milking that clock for all it was worth. Im assuming they was trying to keep the ball away from MA as much as possible. As for the overloaded line, that just allowed MA to stack the box and literally blowed us off the ball entirely. Never really had much success until they spread the offense out. Hats off to both teams for all the sportsmanship shown. Good luck to MA the rest of the way.

I got a BBQ sandwich and some cheese fries. Very good. Fries were fresh and hot and BBQ had a tangy bite. Full marks. You guys even gave the visitors the best stadium back ground view. Only complaint would be the distance to the stadium as I parked in the far upper lot. Back flares up after a little distance, but that's just a me thing. Was a good experience. Got a good laugh on the way in. Little kid, probably 6 or 7, saw the sign that said price of admission was $7 and saw it covered the old sign that said $6. Said, "That's a dollar more. You know back in the day, if you had a dollar you were practically rich. You could even buy some gum for like 5 cents." Kid had me smiling.

Reactions: Bearfan71
Some thoughts about the game with a little time to consider.
EW might have been the game Mt Airy needed, even more than last weeks Starmount game. EW was fast and quick, real fast and real quick. Yes, smaller and young but they played and played. No Quite in those young men.

Add that I saw no real emotion in Mt Airy players. More like they were playing but a lot of memory motion, if that makes sense. Yes, at times, you saw glimpses of determination at times. The Galimore pass to Revels at the end of the 2nd quarter. What Revels did on that play to get into the end zone was amazing.

While EW was definitely zeroed in on Mason, a couple of Reid's efforts were exceptional, especially his long run for a TD. MA's number 12's play on kickoffs was plain special, LOL. Talk about "Hit some Body".

Twashon Martin may actually be MA's most talented running back. He actually thinks he should score EVERY TIME he touches the ball. And if you look at the stats, I could build a case that he is correct. Given the speed and quickness of EW, Martin's punt return for a TD was all the more impressive.

And let me mention one other player, a 6'7' offensive lineman that opens holes for the RB no matter who it is. Mason should care this young man's books to class, pay for his lunch everyday, and tuck him in bed at night. Spencer Baldwin, is his name I believe, does not come close to getting the recognition he deserves.

Unfortunately for MA, their next 3 games offer very little in the way of strong competition but if the coaching staff can keep the players mine's focused, keeps everyone healthy, get them ready for the playoffs to come, then they will have done their job twice over. It may be the hardest job of the year.

But I think they will do just fine at that task.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT