ADVERTISEMENT

Last Week of Regular Season Picks

Slasher Killer

Sep 23, 2010
East Surry at Surry Central

Pilot Cards go for a short stroll down to Dobson to play a banged up Golden Eagle team who came off of a dud performance last Friday as an inspired NS team ran all over them. SC wasn't ready to play and it showed early. 2nd half they played better but they were down a QB however it showed their heart. East meanwhile made West Wilkes look silly in their last game of the season down in Millers Creek. East is cruising to pull out the conference title and an undefeated season, they have a lot to play for tonight besides rivalries sake. Central will be giving their all tonight, East needs to come in focused or SC may stay around for a little while.

Alleghany at MA

MA’s having their senior night tonight and is looking to clinch the gold, Alleghany meanwhile is trying to stay healthy for the first round. I believe both teams can do that tonight, the Trojans just don’t have a match for that MA speed.

South Stokes at Elkin

In Elkin tonight there will be a senior night battle between 2 reeling teams. Elkin’s year at both levels has fallen apart after their senior QB went down midway through the season and they haven’t recovered since with the JV folding the last 2 games. South meanwhile has had a topsy turvy year as they lost a solid senior class from last year and have had to evolve over time. It’s not been the worst year but it could be better; that close McMichael loss is still haunting them now as if they had won it this would be the game they’d be playing to reach .500. However they demolished North Stokes last week and are striving for surprisingly a home playoff game next week in Walnut Cove, they again have a ton to play for. Elkin meanwhile is trying to find any bit of momentum for the program moving forward they badly need it. If Elkin’s original QB had been healthy I’d consider this one a true tossup but South’s way more athletic and bigger so they should pull it out here. It might be closer than we think though,

East Wilkes at Starmount

Ahh yes the battle of the two power teams in the area this year; both of these teams love to pound you and run the ball. I don’t really count MA and East in this category because they are way more faster and work better as finesse squads. Both these teams lack that speed and focus on the power for the better. Both of these teams are very big in size and have deep senior classes who play hard for each other. They also have problems with consistency and pulling out games. Alleghany gave both these squads a headache; however both easily ran over the Stokes schools and Elkin (East did let them hang around though.) Offensively they love the run and vary on how well they do it (Starmount’s more flashy, East is more workman like.) This one can honestly go either way but I think Starmount has the edge due to their size and Dezern. He’s too big of a load to bring down for most teams. It’s gonna take a herculean effort to do that.

Forbush at Wilkes Central

Tonight is a big game for both of these teams; Central host’s senior night in a attempt to get a better playoff spot for the Eagles and send the seniors out, Forbush meanwhile is playing hard for their HC Funderburke as this is his first return to WC as a HC since he’s left 9 years ago. The Falcons have definitely seen better days in the last few finals, they are much younger and beat up while WC’s meanwhile been cruising to a solid season and 2nd place in the conference. Don’t expect much to change.

West Stokes at Galax VA

The Wildcats have the long trek up the mountain tonight as they had deep into Virginia territory to play a very hard to figure Galax team. Last year Galax throttled the Wildcats in King to an 11 win season while West limped into the playoffs vs Robinson in the first round. This year meanwhile it’s a direct opposite. Galax has a winning season but it’s nothing spectacular compared to last year. West has had their struggles but honestly they’ve had a better year; more important wins and they played more together. I’ve seen both and honestly I think it could go either way but West is jamming right now, Galax isn’t. Sometimes that’s all that matters.

Watauga at Ashe County

Huskies are at home for their rematch with the Pioneers, who are on their way to their conference title. Despite their record the Huskies have had a solid year for being not a natural 3A team. Freshman QB has grown up in a hurry to a solid year and RB has had the best year of his career. Defense has improved as well for the Huskies so it’s been an improvement year for them. They won 2 more games and beat a 3A team for the first time so that marks improvement. Tonight probably won’t be close but who knows the Huskies might score a lot on them.

Walkertown at HP Andrews
McMichael at North Forsyth
CTK at Bishop
Morehead at Reidsville

This was by far and away, the most complete performance Galax has had all season. Hopefully, the loss to rival George Wythe has been the wakeup call they needed. Maybe help them peak at the right time.

Galax held WS to 45 yards of total offense (18 yards rushing and 27 yards passing). On offense, Galax moved the QB back to WR, where he was an All-State performer each of the past two seasons. The talented but inexperienced freshman got his first start at QB. He finished with 3 TD passes, which is an improvement considering Galax had 2 TD passes all season prior to this game. The newfound passing game opened up running lanes. Tedruhn Tucker finished with 254 yards on 31 carries. I suspect teams will have a difficult time putting 10 in the box against Galax going forward if they can throw it the way they did against WS.

Galax will host Grayson County Friday night in the regular season finally. The winner will likely be the #1 seed heading into the playoffs.

I would love to see Galax/Mount Airy series come to fruition. Somebody needs to make this happen!

Reactions: KW23 and sbbbfan
I've been saying mount airy should play them....bc there isn't any other competition around in North Carolina for non conference games other than east surry

Reactions: sixcat
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT