ADVERTISEMENT

Largest Stadium

BlueDevil1996

May 20, 2020
Who has the largest stadium in NC - As I was looking Thur CarolinaPreps Stadium Project - There some school that stood out to me and Most have Metal Bleacher Stands but I’m curious who has biggest capacity/largest stadiums

In Western Nc I would assume places like East Burke , McDowell , Statesville are among the biggest

Reactions: FreedomAlum
I would go with E Burke. But Freedom cant be that much smaller, its pretty big as well. Grimsley may be at least just as big. Several of those mountain schools have rather large stadiums, Pisgah, Tuscola, Brevard, etc....Mcdowell has a large stadium as you mentioned. High Point has a big stadium, cant remember which HP school plays there or if both of them do.

I would go with E Burke. But Freedom cant be that much smaller, its pretty big as well. Grimsley may be at least just as big. Several of those mountain schools have rather large stadiums, Pisgah, Tuscola, Brevard, etc....Mcdowell has a large stadium as you mentioned. High Point has a big stadium, cant remember which HP school plays there or if both of them do.
Both play at Simeon Stadium in High Point. There is also a smaller stadium beside that is used by private schools mostly.

Reactions: BlueDevil1996
I would go with E Burke. But Freedom cant be that much smaller, it’s pretty big as well. Grimsley may be at least just as big. Several of those mountain schools have rather large stadiums, Pisgah, Tuscola, Brevard, etc....Mcdowell has a large stadium as you mentioned. High Point has a big stadium, cant remember which HP school plays there or if both of them do.
Pisgah is large -
Mtn Heritage looks nice maybe little smaller

How big of a crowd does Pisgah n Tuscola bring when they play. I seen pictures of huge crowds when they meet up.

Who has the largest stadium in NC - As I was looking Thur CarolinaPreps Stadium Project - There some school that stood out to me and Most have Metal Bleacher Stands but I’m curious who has biggest capacity/largest stadiums

In Western Nc I would assume places like East Burke , McDowell , Statesville are among the biggest
Largest stadium by seating capacity in NC is Grimsley.

East Burke is the biggest however you slice it. Anyone who doubts this should ride to Icard and have a look for themselves (it’s very convenient to I-40). Chris Hughes, who has seen every high school venue in the state, once confirmed this at Carolina Preps.
I’ve been to games at Freedom, McDowell and Asheville and I’ve seen the stadium at Grimsley in person. If twenty thousand people were to show up for a game at E. Burke and they brought folding chairs to sit around “the rim” and were willing to sit on the bank at the south end of the stadium (as I once did for App St and Wake a few years ago) I think the stadium could accommodate a crowd that large. There’s room for around 12k in the stands, but the place is large.
Doubters can take a look for themselves: https://carolinapreps.smugmug.com/StadiumProject/East-Burke/

Last edited:
Pisgah Memorial Stadium seats a maximum of 6600. Tuscola just slightly more. (Visitors side is longer, but home side is roughly the same.) When you see or hear of crowds of 12,000 plus you know how many are standing. Neither stadium has a track around it.

You could fit 30,000 people in Asheville highs stadium with ease if you wanted.
This was from the citizen times in 08

ASHEVILLE — Sen. Barack Obama spoke about the country’s health care system and the economy while launching attacks at rival Sen. John McCain during a rally in front of an estimated 28,000 people at Asheville High School’s Memorial Stadium Sunday.

Posted this on the 4A page.

I have always found that crowd size is over estimated. Remember a game being announced at 15,000 but the gate was a bit over 10,000 and may be 1,000 passes. Easy to do when there are not assigned actual seats. People will take up a seat and a half or they will put their personal items beside them.

Was at Notre Dame twenty plus years ago. Tickets were faculty and athletic department. It was beyond extremely crowded and a guy came up with a ticket and there was absoutely no room. The guy beside me motioned down the row, "I have been in this seat over twenty years and every year it gets a little tighter and they (motioning to a group of nuns) get a little bigger. Go figure." At a larger venue people have a tendency to spread out and take up more than a single seat space if at all possible.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT