ADVERTISEMENT

KAZUMA is back, lets talk FB.

BulldogsFollower, Rosman has a third-year starter at QB, a 1500-yard RB and some big lineman back from a team that went 6-7 but battles injuries all season.

Reactions: BulldogsFollower
Rosman
Swain
Murphy
Robbinsville
Cherokee
Andrews
Hayesville
that should get the thread rolling

That's certainly flattering coming from a Murphy guy, but come on dogtuff, how in the world can Rosman be considered the favorite when your Bulldogs, the Black Knights and the Maroon Machine have all won titles in the last 4 years, and all 3 of those teams return a lot of talent and experience this year?....

I think most Tiger fans like myself would just like to see the Tigers be competitive in every SMC game they play with a chance to win ....On paper this year, the team looks like it has the capability to play with all the SMC schools, but I just don't believe that Rosman should be considered the PreSeason favorite in the SMC, especially when we've got a team in the SMC in Robbinsville who owns the longest winning streak of any 1A school in the state at 16 in a row, and is the reigning 1A state champ....The Knights return size and the experience of playing in a big game atmosphere....That gives Robbinsville a considerable advantage IMO.....Then, you've got Swain County who was a Junior dominated team that played some of it's best and most inspired football of the season last year after their senior leader McCoy was limited and hampered by late season injuries....Remember, the Maroondevils beat both Mount Airy and Whiteville back-to-back and on the road in the playoffs, so this year's team is more confident and experienced than they were at the beginning of last year when a lot of them were rising juniors.....Rosman does get both these teams at home, but again how healthy will Rosman be when these teams meet?....If Rosman is healthy, I think we have a puncher's chance if the Tigers can limit their turnovers, and avoid getting too far behind early in either game....As for Murphy, Rosman hasn't beaten the Bulldogs since 2000, so it's really a reach at this point to believe the Tigers will travel to Murphy, and beat the Bulldogs in the final week of the regular season....As you know, this will be the first time that Rosman and Murphy have ever met in the final week of the regular season, and it would be great for the Tiger Football Program if Rosman's chances for a SMC title, depended on a win against the Bulldogs in that final conference game at "the Hill"....Obviously, a lot of Tiger fans will take the Missouri approach when it comes to predicting the Tigers' fortunes this year, and that is just "show me"?....Again, this year's team were all in diapers the last time Rosman won a SMC title, so it's doubtful any of them remember anything about that season?....

Offensively, I think this year's Rosman team should be able to hold their own with just about any team on their schedule, but the defense has been the achillies heel the last several years, and I'll have to see dramatic improvement on that side of the ball for me to believe that Rosman has a realistic chance to win their first SMC title since 1998....

I read the article in the ACT last week, and I'm glad that the Villagomez kid(6'4" 280lb) is getting some pub....That kid has come a very long way since his freshman year when he was learning how to play football, and was wrestling Jacob Wildcat and other heavyweights after football season had ended.....He's put in the work that's required since that time for the Senior to have a great year on the football field and wrestling mat....Will that happen?....Who knows, but I'm rooting for him and his brother to have healthy and breakout seasons this year for the Tigers....Of course, I've also got my fingers crossed that the Senior trio of QB Josh Rice, WB Gage Orr and WB Tanner Green will finish their Senior seasons with little or NO loss time, due to injuries....The Tigers chances of a memorable season, depends on all 3 of those guys, and their fellow Seniors' ability to play more than they watch....

If I had to pick an order right now, I would list it this way:

1).Swain County(Experience and Swagger)
2).Robbinsville(Ditto, but will have to adjust without Matheson & Galaviz, but 15' SMC title could be decided in season finale at Big Oak Stadium between the Black Knights and Maroondevils?)
3).To be determined between Rosman and Murphy in the final week!
4).See above
5).Cherokee(Will Braves surprise as many expect?)
6).Hayesville(Will Jackets be improved/healthy this year?)
7).Andrews(Can Wildcats replace graduated skill players/leaders?)

I will revise my SMC picks after most of the Non-Conference schedule is over....

And Zuma, welcome back!

Roar Tigers Roar!

1.Robbinsville.
2.Swain
3.Murphy.
4 Rosman.
5.Cherokee.
6. Hay or Andrews
7. Andrews or Hayes.

Robbinsville is looking good for the upcoming season. The O line is loaded. #77 won 19 of 21 blocking drills vs GA teams last Mon. He should go both ways this year and that will help the D, having a ALL State lineman on D also. McCoy will be a big help on D. He is very strong and fast for linebacker. The QB looks better than Skylar did at this point last season.(at passing). He has a strong arm and can run. He played corner last year before braking his leg.

I watched a little of hayesville at the 7 on 7 in ga didn't see the Leek kid and also didn't see a couple of the coaches a lot of new faces anybody know anything

Last edited:
I watch a little of hayesville at the 7 on 7 in ga didn't see the Leek kid and also didn't see a couple of the coaches a lot of new faces anybody know anything

Hayesville has all new JV/varsity staffs with the exception of HC Myers and new OC Dockery(former DC).

New jv staff also? They had a pretty good one but didnt have much talent. I saw Dockery and unfortunately I saw myers was still there (if they are smart he wouldn't be there much longer) so is the mcclure boys coaching at all

Last edited:
Everyone in Hayesville is more than likely playing basketball somewhere. lol.

Rosman
Swain
Murphy
Robbinsville
Cherokee
Andrews
Hayesville
that should get the thread rolling

I think 2015 will be remembered as on of the best overall SMC efforts in recent memory. It's a difficult task to make a prediction but I'll take a stab at it. An old SMC fan like myself will most likely stick with the "big three" as they have become known over the years.

1 Swain County.......Lots of returning players with some really good JVs coming up. Best receiving corps in the SMC. Not too much being said about the running game yet, but it is there with several proven RBs. Like last year, if one RB goes down, Coach "B" will just plug in another one.

2 Robbinsville...........Lost several key offensive players due to graduation. O-line and D-line will once again be very strong. The big question at this point is the QB. He was injured last year and replaced by Skylar so we really don't know that much about him.

3 Murphy..................Early season injuries really hurt them last season but once they got rolling in the late season they looked more like the Bulldogs we have become accustomed to. Much like Robbinsville they lost several key players. I haven't heard much about this year's edition of the Bulldogs but you can be sure Coach Gentry will have them ready to compete.

4 / 5 Rosman / Cherokee........Both teams have excellent QBs and very good running games. Could this be the year the "big three" get surprised by the Braves AND Tigers. I don't think so but it is possible.

6 /7 Andrews / Hayesville.........Still not a lot to get excited about here.

Skylar didnt replace #12. Skylar was the starter from the get go. #12 has a great arm and some good receivers to pass to.

Rosman could finish the conference in 2nd very easily. They are going to be a solid team. Robbinsville better play their A game when they travel to Rosman or it could be loss

I think this year will be a very competitive year in the smc . The top 4 is strong and my braves are coming along nicely while being very very young ... Word is we got about 35 kids at camp now. So that should be a major upgrade.

The SMC will have a lot of good talent this year with many returning players. Swain county's got a good group of receivers along with many running backs. Once a quarterback steps up they will be dangerous. Robbinsville has their whole line coming back and will also have some skill positioned players coming back from last years state team. Rosman will have a great ground game this year once again lead by their senior quarterback and two wing-backs. Murphy will have there quarterback coming back from the leg injury and will also have a good run game this year. Not to mention their quarterback has a great arm. It's hard to make a prediction on which team will take home the SMC title this year but My rankings for this year are:
1. Swain County/Robbinsville (Could be decided in the final game of the season at Rville)
2. Robbinsville/ Swain County
3. Rosman
4. Murphy
5. Cherokee
6. Hayesville
7. Andrews

I think 2015 will be remembered as on of the best overall SMC efforts in recent memory.
No offense but I'm not sure how you figure that. The league will definitely be deeper this season but it won't be nearly as good at the top. The two best teams from last year: Robbinsville and Murphy, both lost a lot. Swain will be really good but I don't see even them being at the elite level Robbinsville was late last season or Murphy was before the injuries.

So yeah, I think the only team that will be really good this year in the SMC is Swain and I expect the Devils will go undefeated in the league this year. Don't get me wrong, I do think Rosman, Murphy, Robbinsville and Cherokee will all be good, but I strongly doubt any of those four will be what I would classify as really good (at least during the regular season) and none of those four will be anywhere close to elite.

I think the SMC will be better in 2016 actually. Murphy, Robbinsville, Cherokee and Andrews will all be better in 2016, and at least in the case of Murphy and Cherokee, I'd say A LOT better. Also Swain will have a chance to be just as good next year as this year, if they can manage the loss of Cody.

Last edited:
Anyway, as for the picks:

1. Swain
2. Murphy
3. Robbinsville
4. Rosman
5. Cherokee
6. Andrews
7. Hayesville

Last edited:
mbdfan said "No offense but I'm not sure how you figure that. The league will definitely be deeper this season but it won't be nearly as good at the top."

Sorry, but I did say one of the best OVERALL efforts and I stand by that. I agree that maybe the league isn't quite as strong at the top but from top-to-bottom I believe the league is much stronger this season.

I agree mbd that the SMC will be down alittle at the top but I dont see how Rville could be better in 2016 than we are this year. I might be wrong but I think we will be on a down streak after this year. For how long I dont know. But this year we will be good and could win the SMC. I dont think rosman can but any of The Big Three could win it. Should be fun to see how it plays out.
Also, I see Murphy being a tougher game for Rville than the Swain game.

Maybe they meant better games each week instead of 50-0 games like the last few years have been .. The small 1a I bet nobody else wants to see rville Murphy cherokee or Rosman in the playoffs this year ..

Heard cherokee played Erwin to a 4-3 ..7 on 7 game yesterday at western. That's fairely impressive even if it was 7 on 7. Was also told if our starting qb played the whole thing we win . Things are looking up for the Braves Briggs is doing a great job and the boys are working hard From all reports

1 Swain
2 Murphy
3 Rosman
4 Robbinsville
5 Cherokee
6 Andrews
7 Hayesville
I think Rosman could very easily end up second. I think Swain goes undefeated in conference play.

Guys,I saw Swain play Whiteville last
year,if they have a lot of returning players they will be hard to handle.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT