ADVERTISEMENT

How Deana finally shut down this silly thread!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Murphy and Tarboro are definitely the favorties in big 1aa if Murphy indeed goes big. I agree there are other teams that are "contenders" by virtue of talent but a betting man would pick Murphy against any 1a team in the West. Their pedigree, tradition and late round experience goes a long ways. If you don't think those intangibles matter, look at the history of storied and proud teams winning close games in late rounds against up-and-comers.

Mitchell, Mount Airy, WM, East Wilkes will all have a shot but shouldn't be favored to win, respectfully of course.

I don't see any team in 1a/1aa beating Tarboro though. It would be an upset, even for Murphy to win against them.

Murphy and Tarboro are definitely the favorties in big 1aa if Murphy indeed goes big. I agree there are other teams that are "contenders" by virtue of talent but a betting man would pick Murphy against any 1a team in the West. Their pedigree, tradition and late round experience goes a long ways. If you don't think those intangibles matter, look at the history of storied and proud teams winning close games in late rounds against up-and-comers.

Mitchell, Mount Airy, WM, East Wilkes will all have a shot but shouldn't be favored to win, respectfully of course.

I don't see any team in 1a/1aa beating Tarboro though. It would be an upset, even for Murphy to win against them.
You are probably right. But I can tell you that Murphy is probably the last team Tarboro wants to see in the title game this season. It would be a great game much like the Murphy/WRH game in 2010. Could go either way but yes it would be a mild upset if Murphy won.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tigertown_a_Rick
You are probably right. But I can tell you that Murphy is probably the last team Tarboro wants to see in the title game this season. It would be a great game much like the Murphy/WRH game in 2010. Could go either way but yes it would be a mild upset if Murphy won.

Would be a dream kinda matchup with the recent history of both teams playing for and winning titles, and have to agree that it would be a great game because both teams are loaded this year, and both Coaches know what it takes to bring home the trophy...

They're are a few of us talking bout EW. A lot of football to be played. I like the underdog role for them. When teams are smacked in the mouth, remember its the punch that you don't see that does the most damage. EW has a punchers chance at scoring a knock out. It may be a slow, grinding, cumulative effect, but they have a chance.

Reactions: Illuminati704
No team has benefited more from the ADM numbers and having the ol coach on the state board than Murphy. They want nothing to do with the big boys, even in 1AA. Franklin has no chance in 2A and they own Murphy every year. Shows how weak they really are!

What makes you think you could beat Tarboro in any lifetime?

No team has benefited more from the ADM numbers and having the ol coach on the state board than Murphy. They want nothing to do with the big boys, even in 1AA. Franklin has no chance in 2A and they own Murphy every year. Shows how weak they really are!
Wooooow!!! Well I'll be John Brown you dont say..... Now the dogs are good at what they do.

Well I see a new troll has emerged from under whatever school's bridge they reside under.

You know something? Your username fits you to a tee! Think about it.

Reactions: BlackKnightNut
It's watered....

Just to clarify, when I say D1, I'm talking about FBS caliber players, not FCS (formerly Division 1aa). It's been a long time since Murphy has had a player go on to play at a FBS school, although G. Cox likely would have if not for that knee injury. But the point I was making is that it doesn't take a team full of D1 athletes to win a 1a or 1aa title. I know Albemarle had two future D1 players on their team when Murphy knocked them off those three years.

Also, how is it "watered"? Murphy beat a very good MICS team in the third round, then knocked off the defending western regional 1aa champion and 1aa state runner up (Mitchell) in the fourth round. Then they finished it off by knocking off the defending 1a champion (Plymouth). Hate all you want, but at least try to be objective.

Last edited:
Just to clarify, when I say D1, I'm talking about FBS caliber players, not FCS (formerly Division 1aa). It's been a long time since Murphy has had a player go on to play at a FBS school, although G. Cox likely would have if not for that knee injury. But the point I was making is that it doesn't take a team full of D1 athletes to win a 1a or 1aa title. I know Albemarle had two future D1 players on their team when Murphy knocked them off those three years.

Also, how is it "watered"? Murphy beat a very good MICS team in the third round, then knocked off the defending western regional 1aa champion and 1aa state runner up (Mitchell) in the fourth round. Then they finished it off by knocking off the defending 1a champion (Plymouth). Hate all you want, but at least try to be objective.

We have a starting tackle at UNC and a DT at Mississippi St....

You played 3 middle school teams the first rd's then a average at best Mitchell team. Look at all other classes. it is so much harder to win a state title. Most of your 8 titles are definitely watered down.

Compare Apple's to Apple's, not Apple's to oranges. Of course the other classification should be tougher. They have a few more to thousands more kids to pick from. You compare and compete against teams your size and the SMC has done that better than any conference. (no offense to Plymouth and WRH)

I think it is the Alabama issue. A lot of people are tied of the same schools always winning. Well do what Clemson did, get better.

You played 3 middle school teams the first rd's then a average at best Mitchell team. Look at all other classes. it is so much harder to win a state title. Most of your 8 titles are definitely watered down.
If you think MICS was a "middle school" team then you don't know very much. They had speed all over the field and a few players that were D1 level talents. They were much better than Mitchell (no offense to the Mitchell posters). Plymouth has been to five straight title games so that speaks for itself. Bottom line is Murphy is a 1a school and they play where the state puts them and whoever is in front of them. Watered down or not is a matter of opinion, but a title is a title is a title! Only jealous, small minded people have a problem with it. Murphy won four 1a state titles before the 1a split into two classes. They even won a 2a title back in 1974. Were those "watered down" too? Ask just about any big school in western North Carolina who has played Murphy over the years if they think Murphy is weak and see what they tell you.

Reactions: wncbowhunter
If you think MICS was a "middle school" team then you don't know very much. They had speed all over the field and a few players that were D1 level talents. They were much better than Mitchell (no offense to the Mitchell posters). Plymouth has been to five straight title games so that speaks for itself. Bottom line is Murphy is a 1a school and they play where the state puts them and whoever is in front of them. Watered down or not is a matter of opinion, but a title is a title is a title! Only jealous, small minded people have a problem with it. Murphy won four 1a state titles before the 1a split into two classes. They even won a 2a title back in 1974. Were those "watered down" too? Ask just about any big school in western North Carolina who has played Murphy over the years if they think Murphy is weak and see what they tell you.

He's just salty. He'll crawl back under his bridge eventually.

Reactions: NC nole fan
Horse crap,

Ah ,86, 87, 92 waters down lol. There was no big or small then, 86 -87 Henderson had gash brothers, lol, your an idiot

Too bad those 7 championships dont say Watered 1A North Carolina Championship....or those 7 rings....or our most winningest Western/active North Carolina coach....too bad people dont refer to him as the Watered Nationally ranked 1A coach. Shame. Truly.

Plies woooow, I see a true hater has appeared. Tell us more we're listening.....

Hey Rich if you read it, he said first three round was middle school teams,. Mic was 3rd round, what you feel about that
Well I read it, thats why I called him a true hater. I wanna know who does he represent.

Well I read it, thats why I called him a true hater. I wanna know who does he represent.
Before Murphy played mic, I honestly tought we would role mic, after game got started changed my perspective, mic was real deal

Yep, and Murphy was right there with them. Lost by one TD. If you looked at the stat sheet and did not know the final score, you would swear that Murphy won the game. Murphy beat Franklin in every statistical category. Basically beat them everywhere except on the scoreboard. The only place that Franklin did better than Murphy (besides the final score) was in the penalty department. Murphy had twice as many as Franklin (no Franklin fans, that wasn't the reason Murphy lost, just posting facts, so don't take offense). This Murphy team is dang good and it wouldn't hurt my feelings one bit if they went big 1a this season. There's no team in 1a, big or small, that Murphy can't beat this season.

I'll say this, if Murphy does go big 1a then yes Rich Blackman, it's on like donkey kong for MICS! They will be the clear favorite in small 1a.
Maybe they had more penalties because they committed more penalties and have less discipline..lol..murphy is 3 &13 against franklin..1a or 1aa is a world away from 2a

Murphy has trouble with Franklin for whatever, it's no secret. But why is that the only frame of reference for talking about them being a world away from 1AA and 2A schools? No talk about them also beating a third round 2A playoff team last year or a 3-1 2A team this year.

Wallace Rose Hill wouldve destroyed 90% of the 2a teams while they were in 1a..just ask Havelock that was ranked top 10 in 3a this year about WRH after they got beat by them. Speed and Athleticism knows no classification.

Reactions: NC nole fan
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT