ADVERTISEMENT

Gaston County High School Athletics

shutdownD24

Sep 6, 2014
Someone help me understand something. Why would Gaston County create a brand new policy this season that football games cannot be livestream with video but you can stream with audio only? What’s the purpose?Who thought this was a good idea? Someone make it make sense? We know the real reason. It’s sad really.

Someone help me understand something. Why would Gaston County create a brand new policy this season that football games cannot be livestream with video but you can stream with audio only? What’s the purpose?Who thought this was a good idea? Someone make it make sense? We know the real reason. It’s sad really.
Gates. Most of the schools don't have a strong booster club, so every dollar they can make in football, needs to be made. That combination of less seats at football games and not a lot of extra money floating around is hurting all sports. I donated some equipment to a Charlotte school a few years ago. You would be surprised at some of these teams budgets. Less than bare minimum.

Gates. Most of the schools don't have a strong booster club, so every dollar they can make in football, needs to be made. That combination of less seats at football games and not a lot of extra money floating around is hurting all sports. I donated some equipment to a Charlotte school a few years ago. You would be surprised at some of these teams budgets. Less than bare minimum.
The only problem is that most GC schools do not draw fans to home games like that anyway with the exception of a few schools and a couple of select rivalry games. Most of the video streaming have came from out of County teams or sources. Video streaming of games allow alumni to stay connected to schools which leads to potential sources of revenue for those programs. Also it is a good way for college coaches to become interested in a player or two. I remember a couple of years back when McKoy was at Huss that the Huskies were extremely happy to receive some old second hand weights from South Point when the Raiders received new weight equipment so I am definitely aware of some of those limited budgets. I just do not see not streaming making a big difference from an attendance point for schools that aren’t drawing fans to games anyway. I just think GC does a lot of things backwards when it comes to athletics.

The only problem is that most GC schools do not draw fans to home games like that anyway with the exception of a few schools and a couple of select rivalry games. Most of the video streaming have came from out of County teams or sources. Video streaming of games allow alumni to stay connected to schools which leads to potential sources of revenue for those programs. Also it is a good way for college coaches to become interested in a player or two. I remember a couple of years back when McKoy was at Huss that the Huskies were extremely happy to receive some old second hand weights from South Point when the Raiders received new weight equipment so I am definitely aware of some of those limited budgets. I just do not see not streaming making a big difference from an attendssance point for schools that aren’t drawing fans to games anyway. I just think GC does a lot of things backwards when it comes to athletics.
I agree that it helps keep out of town fans stay afloat of what's going on but not many people are donating back to their old schools in any form anyway. Broadcasting live games only benefit a school if they have sponsorship. Those sponsors on the KM sports channel pays for those empty HOME seats.

Ex...It may not seem like a lot to a school such as KM, but say if KM broadcasted and using low numbers, KM had 500 viewers, 200 may have went to the game in person. The schools see that as a loss of $2000-2500 for that one game. KM broadcasting sponsorship is worth more than that per game. If they are broadcasting an away game and using those same numbers, the away school is losing that potential $2000-2500 and no sponsorship to get any of those missing seats money back.

I agree that it helps keep out of town fans stay afloat of what's going on but not many people are donating back to their old schools in any form anyway. Broadcasting live games only benefit a school if they have sponsorship. Those sponsors on the KM sports channel pays for those empty HOME seats.

Ex...It may not seem like a lot to a school such as KM, but say if KM broadcasted and using low numbers, KM had 500 viewers, 200 may have went to the game in person. The schools see that as a loss of $2000-2500 for that one game. KM broadcasting sponsorship is worth more than that per game. If they are broadcasting an away game and using those same numbers, the away school is losing that potential $2000-2500 and no sponsorship to get any of those missing seats money back.
I understand financial projections whether it’s projected loss or projected revenue. When it comes to high school sports in GC or most any NC county there is no guarantee that fans who can’t watch on video are coming to the game. It’s basically a guess. There is no data to support that particular theory. I attended a Chambers/Huss game a few years back when Chambers may have been #1 at the time or close to it, there may have been 300-400 paying customers combined. There was no live stream there that night and if it was streamed than more than likely it would have been the same 300-400 in crowd due to it being mostly parents of players, cheerleaders, and band members. I understand the search for revenue for GC, that’s always been there in one form or another. If I remember correctly, the decision of GC schools to add the Kings Mountain kids who lived on the Gaston County side of the city to the district was driven by projected education dollars loss to KM. I do agree that GC support and KM support is very different.

I understand financial projections whether it’s projected loss or projected revenue. When it comes to high school sports in GC or most any NC county there is no guarantee that fans who can’t watch on video are coming to the game. It’s basically a guess. There is no data to support that particular theory. I attended a Chambers/Huss game a few years back when Chambers may have been #1 at the time or close to it, there may have been 300-400 paying customers combined. There was no live stream there that night and if it was streamed than more than likely it would have been the same 300-400 in crowd due to it being mostly parents of players, cheerleaders, and band members. I understand the search for revenue for GC, that’s always been there in one form or another. If I remember correctly, the decision of GC schools to add the Kings Mountain kids who lived on the Gaston County side of the city to the district was driven by projected education dollars loss to KM. I do agree that GC support and KM support is very different.
It's definitely a guess but when a school give a softball program $200 and the cost of one good team bat is $400, they have to look at any possible money that can be made for the budget. Charlotte schools rarely have big crowds except occasionally. Most of the high schools are less than 15 years old and no established alumni yet. It was a decent crowd at the Monroe and West Charlotte game because of the hype and new stadium dedication.

Yes, Gaston County would have lost 100s of thousands in state funding during the merger if KM city kids in Gaston County would have stayed in the new Cleveland County system. The new system was formed to help some influential property owners in one city get their property values raised.

Reactions: shutdownD24
I was going to keep mu mouth shut but here is the real problem. The NFHS network is in bed with the NCHSAA and both push school to sign with NFHS. Once you sign with NFHS that take care of streaming for the school so the school does not have to have there own crew to pull it off. NFHS also claims to share in the profits it receives from the funds it collect. The problem with this whole setup is #1 the school does not make much money from the streaming. HFHS keeps most of the profits. They change you to watch so this will discourage a lot of folks to use this site. I think it's like $20 or $50 dollars a game. #2 they will not promise any quality of the stream. I have seen folks pay good money to watch someone with a cell phone streaming from the stands. I know the Kings Mountain broadcast is not ESPN but I think they show a quality product.

Does streaming keep some butts out of the seats, yes it will keep a few but the true fans will go see the team play rain or shine. I think the streaming does more good then hurt the gate. In this case I don't think it was Hunter Huss but Gaston County School.

I was going to keep mu mouth shut but here is the real problem. The NFHS network is in bed with the NCHSAA and both push school to sign with NFHS. Once you sign with NFHS that take care of streaming for the school so the school does not have to have there own crew to pull it off. NFHS also claims to share in the profits it receives from the funds it collect. The problem with this whole setup is #1 the school does not make much money from the streaming. HFHS keeps most of the profits. They change you to watch so this will discourage a lot of folks to use this site. I think it's like $20 or $50 dollars a game. #2 they will not promise any quality of the stream. I have seen folks pay good money to watch someone with a cell phone streaming from the stands. I know the Kings Mountain broadcast is not ESPN but I think they show a quality product.

Does streaming keep some butts out of the seats, yes it will keep a few but the true fans will go see the team play rain or shine. I think the streaming does more good then hurt the gate. In this case I don't think it was Hunter Huss but Gaston County School.
Nailed it!

Nfhs is definitely 1 issue. They are $75 for a year or 12 a month. The concept is great, being able to watch other games from around the country. But the way it is handled it does hurt schools from being able to do what KM does with the streaming.
But gaston county schools has always been ass backwards when it comes to serving athletics. If they cant pad their own pocket and look far across the board while doing so, they arent going to do it. I think every school in gaston county has the out of town population to justify each school having its own live stream ran by the school the only problem i see with it is staffing. Stuart Cramer has a bosster club that has always amazed me. Coaches and or AD sets up the field during school friday parents set up and take down the tunnel and break down the field after the game and im sure its the same for schools like SP and all 4 CC schools. But for schools like huss they dont have that right now. And not sure they could consitantly have people to run the streaming.

Id like to know how much of what km channel makes, goes back to the school and what goes back into the channel. I know youtube pays after a certain amount of subscribers and/or views which after a quick look youtube isnt paying them a lot but sponsor ships add up. Just my curosity on that.
But if it doesnt pad the school systems pocket they arent for it at all.

You are definitely right about the quality of the NFHS network. There is no telling what quality you will receive from their broadcast. Nothing like paying $14.50 or whatever a month and you tune in to see the camera pointing at the sky, ground, or wrong side of the field that the teams are playing for half the game or more. Those broadcast are even more horrendous for basketball. I always wondered how much these state athletic associations make from NFHS.
The KM sports network has been a blessing for fans like me who are either traveling a great deal or those fans that live out of state.

Reactions: mountie pride
You are definitely right about the quality of the NFHS network. There is no telling what quality you will receive from their broadcast. Nothing like paying $14.50 or whatever a month and you tune in to see the camera pointing at the sky, ground, or wrong side of the field that the teams are playing for half the game or more. Those broadcast are even more horrendous for basketball. I always wondered how much these state athletic associations make from NFHS.
The KM sports network has been a blessing for fans like me who are either traveling a great deal or those fans that live out of state.
Bro let's be honest. They attach the damn camera to a bobble head and hope for the best. It is the worst coverage I have ever seen. HUDL has a stadium camera now that is supposed to automatically follow the action and even it picks up a fly on a goats ass and goes haywire sometimes.

Nfhs is definitely 1 issue. They are $75 for a year or 12 a month. The concept is great, being able to watch other games from around the country. But the way it is handled it does hurt schools from being able to do what KM does with the streaming.
But gaston county schools has always been ass backwards when it comes to serving athletics. If they cant pad their own pocket and look far across the board while doing so, they arent going to do it. I think every school in gaston county has the out of town population to justify each school having its own live stream ran by the school the only problem i see with it is staffing. Stuart Cramer has a bosster club that has always amazed me. Coaches and or AD sets up the field during school friday parents set up and take down the tunnel and break down the field after the game and im sure its the same for schools like SP and all 4 CC schools. But for schools like huss they dont have that right now. And not sure they could consitantly have people to run the streaming.

Id like to know how much of what km channel makes, goes back to the school and what goes back into the channel. I know youtube pays after a certain amount of subscribers and/or views which after a quick look youtube isnt paying them a lot but sponsor ships add up. Just my curosity on that.
But if it doesnt pad the school systems pocket they arent for it at all.
Half of all moneys the streaming makes goes back to the school directly and the other half goes to the Touchdown Club for upgrades to the school or really it all goes back to the school.

Bro let's be honest. They attach the damn camera to a bobble head and hope for the best. It is the worst coverage I have ever seen. HUDL has a stadium camera now that is supposed to automatically follow the action and even it picks up a fly on a goats ass and goes haywire sometimes.
If im not mistaken the hudl camera is or atleast was 4-5k. It has some draw backs. If you have it at home but playing away you still have to take a camera and camera man with you. Its on a timer, it starts 15 minutes before the game and runs for 3 or 3.5 hours. So if a game goes in over time or just abnormally long you have to have someone go in and make sure its still on, samething if a game gets postponed and weather delays. Other then that its a great concept price point can keep some schools away from it. I read into it when it first came out, not sure if they have upgraded it yet. Now if both teams use hudl then it will stream to both sidelines during the game and automatically upload after the game.
Half of all moneys the streaming makes goes back to the school directly and the other half goes to the Touchdown Club for upgrades to the school or really it all goes back to the school.
And thats how it should be. Money made from tomorrow nights game at huss should not be spread out through the county it should go back school that is streaming. Or in this case since the visiting team has the stream it should be split between those 2 teams but if it was at km it should go directly to km. Gcs is in my opinion as corrupt as it can be when it comes to money. If nfhs streams tomorrows game and the county made maybe $1000 from it id bet huss would see only pennies from it, and that ant right.

If im not mistaken the hudl camera is or atleast was 4-5k. It has some draw backs. If you have it at home but playing away you still have to take a camera and camera man with you. Its on a timer, it starts 15 minutes before the game and runs for 3 or 3.5 hours. So if a game goes in over time or just abnormally long you have to have someone go in and make sure its still on, samething if a game gets postponed and weather delays. Other then that its a great concept price point can keep some schools away from it. I read into it when it first came out, not sure if they have upgraded it yet. Now if both teams use hudl then it will stream to both sidelines during the game and automatically upload after the game.

And thats how it should be. Money made from tomorrow nights game at huss should not be spread out through the county it should go back school that is streaming. Or in this case since the visiting team has the stream it should be split between those 2 teams but if it was at km it should go directly to km. Gcs is in my opinion as corrupt as it can be when it comes to money. If nfhs streams tomorrows game and the county made maybe $1000 from it id bet huss would see only pennies from it, and that ant right.
I agree with everything with the exception of requiring the visiting team to split streaming revenue with a school that has NO type of streaming available. The visiting team pays for all the equipment, labor, and logistics of streaming a game for the visiting team’s fans while giving free streaming access to the home team fans. Splitting revenue with someone/school who has no skin in the game makes no business sense. The payment to the home team is the free access to the livestream.

I heard one school in the county had bought the hudl camera system, but hudl was repeatedly told by county office folks they couldn't put it up....

imagine that waste of money...of course there's a lot of that going around

I agree with everything with the exception of requiring the visiting team to split streaming revenue with a school that has NO type of streaming available. The visiting team pays for all the equipment, labor, and logistics of streaming a game for the visiting team’s fans while giving free streaming access to the home team fans. Splitting revenue with someone/school who has no skin in the game makes no business sense. The payment to the home team is the free access to the livestream.
Oh i definitely see your point on that. But with knowing how gcs works that might be the only way they would approve it, if the rule they have now didnt exist.
I heard one school in the county had bought the hudl camera system, but hudl was repeatedly told by county office folks they couldn't put it up....

Wonder why they were told they couldnt use it? Does it live stream to an outside source to where the public can watch or still just the sidelines? If there is no outside source and just streams to sidelines whats the difference in what they use now to get hudl to the sidelines?

The thing with HUDL is that it benefits your coaches, players, and college recruiters. Hudl is currently a huge tool right now in the football and basketball world. High school coaches use it to scout opponents and grade their own players, players use it to create highlights or send video out to colleges, and college coaches use it when recruiting kids. Most college coaches ask for and prefer HUDL film/clips over any other type of video. It sounds like someone is hurting their own program with this stance.

Reactions: beamer24
Oh i definitely see your point on that. But with knowing how gcs works that might be the only way they would approve it, if the rule they have now didnt exist.

Wonder why they were told they couldnt use it? Does it live stream to an outside source to where the public can watch or still just the sidelines? If there is no outside source and just streams to sidelines whats the difference in what they use now to get hudl to the sidelines?
Hudl is not streamed to where the public can watch it. Teams buy Hudl accounts, setup the cameras, and when the cameras are activated it records whatever action the coaches will like to record. Coaches assign and revoke access to their players to review Hudl film. Hudl has a ton of cool features from making easy highlight clips, zeroing in on players, compiling stats, and giving very detailed stat analytics. The Hudl site will also broadcast top plays nationwide on their site that all Hudl account users can see which is great exposure for the kids.

Hudl is not streamed to where the public can watch it. Teams buy Hudl accounts, setup the cameras, and when the cameras are activated it records whatever action the coaches will like to record. Coaches assign and revoke access to their players to review Hudl film. Hudl has a ton of cool features from making easy highlight clips, zeroing in on players, compiling stats, and giving very detailed stat analytics. The Hudl site will also broadcast top plays nationwide on their site that all Hudl account users can see which is great exposure for the kids.
No i know how hudl itself works i was referring tonthe new camera and why gcs wouldn't allow a school to mount it. The only reason that makes since is they think it streams or has the ability to stream to the public.

Reactions: shutdownD24
No i know how hudl itself works i was referring tonthe new camera and why gcs wouldn't allow a school to mount it. The only reason that makes since is they think it streams or has the ability to stream to the public.
Yeah they may not understand that it is not the same as a livestream. They probably heard “mounted camera” and that was enough to shut it down.

Reactions: Babyhewey
They are trying something new called hudl TV that is a live stream. It's more expensive than nfhs. I haven't watched it but some schools are using it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT