ADVERTISEMENT

Dutch Fork vs Hough

Vik-Val 86

May 20, 2020
Looks to be an interesting matchup. But DF is 0-2. Heard DF QB was injured in 1st matchup. Don’t know when he returns. Also they look to be more down for this season. Could possibly go Hough way in this one. Any thoughts.

Last edited:
DF is young plus numbers were down. Had some players out for the first game then lost a few including the QB. He is out for awhile due to a shoulder injury. Heard they struggled on the line both sides of the ball. Knotts thinks they will be fine by the end of the season but have to stay injury free.

Hough could be a tough game for them. Think it will be close either way. The Weddington game could be a real tough one for them.

I'll say the same thing I have been saying for 5+ years. Don't they actually have to win one of these games?? Every year...ranked high, tons of talent and beat the teams their supposed to beat but never a signature win.

Down year for DF......don't they have to win this?

Reactions: shutdownD24
I'll say the same thing I have been saying for 5+ years. Don't they actually have to win one of these games?? Every year...ranked high, tons of talent and beat the teams their supposed to beat but never a signature win.

Did Hough ever beat Creek while Coach P was there? I would consider that a signature win if they accomplished that. I believe they are 0-3 or something like that against Butler all time, 1st match up being in 2015 vs that Osborne kid that went to Tennessee. They did beat Indy in the playoffs in 2014 when Indy was undefeated and Coach Evans had them ROLLING.

DF is young plus numbers were down. Had some players out for the first game then lost a few including the QB. He is out for awhile due to a shoulder injury. Heard they struggled on the line both sides of the ball. Knotts thinks they will be fine by the end of the season but have to stay injury free.

Hough could be a tough game for them. Think it will be close either way. The Weddington game could be a real tough one for them.
Hough is way down IMHO. Dutch Fork will beat them 10+ points. Agree with you on Weddington. Weddington may blow Dutch Fork out. Rght now MC, Weddington, and Grimsley are a step above everyone.

Reactions: btango
Did Hough ever beat Creek while Coach P was there? I would consider that a signature win if they accomplished that. I believe they are 0-3 or something like that against Butler all time, 1st match up being in 2015 vs that Osborne kid that went to Tennessee. They did beat Indy in the playoffs in 2014 when Indy was undefeated and Coach Evans had them ROLLING.
Beat them regular season in 2015 . Osborne ran by Creek sideline and taunted Palmieri. They rolled them in the playoffs 5-6 weeks later like 44-10 or something

Reactions: btango
Hough is way down IMHO. Dutch Fork will beat them 10+ points. Agree with you on Weddington. Weddington may blow Dutch Fork out. Rght now MC, Weddington, and Grimsley are a step above everyone.
I would put Weddington and Grimsley in the same tier and slightly above MC. It’s really just because of the offense. If they had a better offense I would pick them to win it all easily. It doesn’t even have to be great but just better than it is. You can only get into so many dog fights or relying on the defense to get turnovers before eventually coming up short. The offense has to come through at some point in those big games.

Not trying to be funny or anything because we normally agree on a lot. One thing I noticed that I’m sure it’s very obvious to all of us is that you’re not a fan of Hough at all. If you really sit back and look at the landscape of 4A without being biased, MC is in the same category as Hough. I know kids at both programs but not a fan of either as far rooting for one in particular so I’m being completely unbiased. Great defenses..no offense! Both would get over the hump or be title favorites even over Grimsley with a better offense. I personally don’t see why either team would be in a different tier than the other. If they were to play today I would probably lean towards Creek but it could go either way because both teams struggle to put up points. It would come down to turnovers and field position.

Last edited:

At this point, concentrating on your program rather than criticizing DF for a signature win is the greatest thing you can do. For a power team, you guys haven't demonstrated your status as a program with championship potential in a while. The Buford game should have been your most memorable victory, but the result is already well known.

At this point, concentrating on your program rather than criticizing DF for a signature win is the greatest thing you can do. For a power team, you guys haven't demonstrated your status as a program with championship potential in a while. The Buford game should have been your most memorable victory, but the result is already well known.
Criticizing DF?? Think you might want to re-read my man.

Creek playing anyone outside of Buford, I believe the offense is clicking this past week. People act as though we were playing freaking Garinger. Shit don't work when you're playing against 4 & 5 stars on the defensive line, with Georgia & Michigan commits at LB, and 5-star safety FSU commit, and Alabama commits in the secondary. I was happy we put up more points than Saint Frances. Even with all that talent, we had numerous chances to score, as we got behind their secondary a couple of times. We won't see a team in the same stratosphere as Buford on the defensive side the next 2 decades. I believe that offense will start clicking soon, as they have the athletes. Not a lot of teams have 8 kids who broke records from the 4x100 & 4x200 team to use from on the offensive side of the ball. 5 kids running sub 10.8 hundred meters. That's a good problem to have. Gotta spread the love around.

Last edited:
Creek playing anyone outside of Buford, I believe the offense is clicking this past week. People act as though we were playing freaking Garinger. Shit don't work when you're playing against 4 & 5 stars on the defensive line, with Georgia & Michigan commits at LB, and 5-star safety FSU commit, and Alabama commits in the secondary. I was happy we put up more points than Saint Frances. Even with all that talent, we had numerous chances to score, as we got behind their secondary a couple of times. We won't see a team in the same stratosphere as Buford on the defensive side the next 2 decades. I believe that offense will start clicking soon, as they have the athletes. Not a lot of teams have 8 kids who broke records from, on the 4x100 & 4x200 team to use on the offensive side of the ball. 5 kids running sub 10.8 hundred meters. That's a good problem to have. Gotta spread the love around.
I didn’t say they didn’t have pieces on the team to potentially make it work on the offensive side of the ball. It also wasn’t just Buford that the offense has struggled against. Half the points against Indy came from defense. The point I was really trying to make is that @bigdadd11103 opinions on Creek and Hough comes from a biased perspective. There’s not some gap that would put the two in different tiers right now. Until either one puts together consistent offense they’re practically in the same tier in regards to 4A. That’s the only point I was trying to make.

I didn’t say they didn’t have pieces on the team to potentially make it work on the offensive side of the ball. It also wasn’t just Buford that the offense has struggled against. Half the points against Indy came from defense. The point I was really trying to make is that @bigdadd11103 opinions on Creek and Hough comes from a biased perspective. There’s not some gap that would put the two in different tiers right now. Until either one puts together consistent offense they’re practically in the same tier in regards to 4A. That’s the only point I was trying to make.
I never disagreed with anything you said outside of defense. I just made people aware, they have some guys on offense. Lot of potential there. Regarding defenses. I don't believe Hough has one, and they're offense line is struggling big time, and they'll be switching QB's soon IMO. Chapman held Byrnes to 14 points, they're no world beaters.

Last edited:
I never disagreed with anything you said outside of defense. I just made people aware, they have some guys on offense. Regarding defenses. I don't believe Hough has one, and they're offense line is struggling big time.
I agreed with everything you said until you said they don’t have a defense. Watch the Byrnes game play for play! Both teams were shutting one another down. Byrnes wasn’t having much success offensively on the last drive they scored on. Hough was shutting them down and then got caught with a screen that went to the house. Another score came from a tipped pass that Byrnes returned. Out of all of the plays Byrnes ran on offense majority of the time they barely had any success. Two plays made the score look lopsided. I just feel like a few of you all personally don’t like Hough and are quick to want to discredit them in some type of way. I could careless if they win or lose but I like to talk ball without being biased.

Last edited:
I agreed with everything you said until you said they don’t have a defense. Watch the Byrnes game play for play! Both teams were shutting one another down. Byrnes wasn’t having much success offensively on the last drive they scored on. Hough was shutting them down and then got caught with a screen that went to the house. Another score came from a tipped pass that Byrnes returned. Out of all of the plays Byrnes ran on offense majority of the time they barely had any success. Two plays made the score look lopsided. I just feel like a few of you all personally don’t like Hough and are quick to want to discredit them in some type of way.
There is absolutely no one who dislikes Hough more than me, and I wear it with a badge of honor 😀 I feel that I'm fair when it comes to evaluating. The Byrnes team is not the Brynes of past years. They haven't' been relevant since 2020, They're not a team that i would evaluate my offense against. Our offense sucked last year, and I told everyone who would listen. I believe I'm an honest homer when it comes to evaluating. LOL!

• Haha
Reactions: New3ra
There is absolutely no one who dislikes Hough more than me, and I wear it with a badge of honor 😀 I feel that I'm fair when it comes to evaluating. The Byrnes team is not the Brynes of past years. They haven't' been relevant since 2020, They're not a team that i would evaluate my offense against. Our offense sucked last year, and I told everyone who would listen. I believe I'm an honest homer when it comes to evaluating. LOL!
LOL 😆 I respect you for saying it.

Reactions: nepsy7
I would put Weddington and Grimsley in the same tier and slightly above MC. It’s really just because of the offense. If they had a better offense I would pick them to win it all easily. It doesn’t even have to be great but just better than it is. You can only get into so many dog fights or relying on the defense to get turnovers before eventually coming up short. The offense has to come through at some point in those big games.

Not trying to be funny or anything because we normally agree on a lot. One thing I noticed that I’m sure it’s very obvious to all of us is that you’re not a fan of Hough at all. If you really sit back and look at the landscape of 4A without being biased, MC is in the same category as Hough. I know kids at both programs but not a fan of either as far rooting for one in particular so I’m being completely unbiased. Great defenses..no offense! Both would get over the hump or be title favorites even over Grimsley with a better offense. I personally don’t see why either team would be in a different tier than the other. If they were to play today I would probably lean towards Creek but it could go either way because both teams struggle to put up points. It would come down to turnovers and field position.
No bias against Hough at all. Just call it like it is. Hough has been great offensively and defensively past few years. One of the most dynamic and talented offenses we have seen in that timeframe. Coach Jenkins stepping down is a big loss for them. Sans rematches with Chambers/MC Hough may have 2-3 tiltes since being built which would be impressive. Neutral on Hough on field. Off field they get away with a lot of stuff urban charlotte schools get slammed for. Hough having offensive issues vs. Byrnes and MP is cause for alarm.

MC i am biased towards to be honest. Love their style of play. They are defensively offensive minded. Built on strong defenses. TBH MC got into the transfer QB game and lost 2-3 ship chances IMHO. Their formula is hard nose defense, homegrown offense, and athletes everywhere. This years team is that. They are welcoming and allow youth/groups to use their field. Just a great family type school.

Can agree somewhat to put da creek below Grimsley and Weddington. But not much below.

Reactions: Vik-Val 86
No bias against Hough at all. Just call it like it is. Hough has been great offensively and defensively past few years. One of the most dynamic and talented offenses we have seen in that timeframe. Coach Jenkins stepping down is a big loss for them. Sans rematches with Chambers/MC Hough may have 2-3 tiltes since being built which would be impressive. Neutral on Hough on field. Off field they get away with a lot of stuff urban charlotte schools get slammed for. Hough having offensive issues vs. Byrnes and MP is cause for alarm.

MC i am biased towards to be honest. Love their style of play. They are defensively offensive minded. Built on strong defenses. TBH MC got into the transfer QB game and lost 2-3 ship chances IMHO. Their formula is hard nose defense, homegrown offense, and athletes everywhere. This years team is that. They are welcoming and allow youth/groups to use their field. Just a great family type school.

Can agree somewhat to put da creek below Grimsley and Weddington. But not much below.
I can say Hough not being able to have any success on offense against MP did raise some concern for me. Playing like that is why I say why not just play the freshman that’s your future. I man you know what you’re getting from the junior and it isn’t going to be what you ultimately want at the end of the season. I always said the large numbers of transfers they get every year ended up being the reason they never could get over the hump.

We can agree on that! I definitely think that defense gives them a chance to make a run. I do think it will come down to the three schools you mentioned. I just have to see some improvements first on offense.

I always said the large numbers of transfers they get every year ended up being the reason they never could get over the hump.
honest question..if that’s the case, how does Grimsley do it? They seem to be just fine with transfers. A bigger discussion needs to be had about how unfair it is for open enrollment in some counties while other counties don’t have it.

honest question..if that’s the case, how does Grimsley do it? They seem to be just fine with transfers. A bigger discussion needs to be had about how unfair it is for open enrollment in some counties while other counties don’t have it.
How many transfers does Grimsley get every year?

How many transfers does Grimsley get every year?
There’s a difference, the main core of Grimsley’s team has been together every year of hs. They may add a transfer here and there like this off season that start or play but the others are on the sideline. There’s still a good level of continuity within that team. Majority of their senior class was undefeated on jv together. I believe Hough is built around transfers and it comes back to bite them in crunch time moments, along with coaching of course. There’s not open enrollment for Grimsley they’re just using the same loop holes right now as most good programs but doing it at a higher level. forsyth county that’s a different situation because they do have open enrollment.

Last edited:
There’s a difference, the main core of Grimsley’s team has been together every year of hs. They may add a transfer here and there like this off season that start or play but the others are on the sideline. There’s still a good level of continuity within that team. Majority of their senior class was undefeated on jv together. I believe Hough is built around transfers and it comes back to bite them in crunch time moments, along with coaching of course. There’s not open enrollment for Grimsley they’re just using the same loop holes right now as most good programs but doing it at a higher level. forsyth county that’s a different situation because they do have open enrollment.
Think Hough making a QB change is premature. If transfers are not handled properly you will get what Hough has now. A good QB that waited his turn, and a potential future QB that will no doubt take some lumps. Once you go with a freshman its really no turning back because the Jr,. will most likely leave and if anyone else comes in then the freshman is gone.

Thnx for the clarification.

I don't think Hough's issues are with the quarterback. Outside of the slot receiver committed to Gardner-Webb, I think they are missing some playmakers. And outside of Boyer upfront on the OL, I think they are a little green there too.

Pep issues may not be the qb at all but Hough offense has issues. They have been dynamic years past offensively. Losing a multiyear starter at qb hurts and that backfield. Just dont think Byrnes/MP are good at all. Thought Hough would roll them

Reactions: InfoMan25
TK said they would need time to jell and were busted up before season started and much more so after the opening game. Guess they are not quite there.

Last edited:
Not surprised with the score but imagine Dutch Fork being winless at this point

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT