ADVERTISEMENT

Cool, unusal and/or original NC high school mascots

Screamin' Monk

Apr 29, 2004
I was thinking about this the other day and thought since it has been slow on the boards lately ...

Dark Horses - Clinton
Wonders - Kannapolis A.L. Brown
Whirlies - Greensboro Grimsley
Gryphons - Rocky Mount
Bucks - Hoke
Imps - Cary
Rampants - Greenville Rose

This is all I could think of and I'm sure there are a lot more ... Please add to the list

This post was edited on 3/8 10:31 PM by Screamin' Monk

Cherryville Ironmen
Ashbrook Green Wave
Dallas Black Devils (HS is no longer)
RS Central Hilltoppers

South Stanly Rebel Bulls. Formerly the Rebels.

Owen Warhorse. Combination of Swannanoa Dark Horses and Owen Warriors.

- Hickory Ridge Ragin' Bulls
- Elkin Buckin' Elks
- Wilmington Ashley Screamin' Eagles
- Washington Pam Pack
- Holly Springs Golden Hawks
- Franklinton Red Rams
- Edenton Holmes Rhythm Aces

Link.

Hey..I remember the "Amazing Rhythm Aces"........."3rd rate romance....low rent rendezvous...."....oops not a football team//

Prior to Greensboro Grimsley becoming Grimsley, the large campus institution was called Greensboro Senior High. Until the late fifties, Senior HIgh, as the locals referred to the sprawling campus of a school, and even the basketball uniforms had SENIOR written on them as late as the seventies, Greensboro Senior High was then called the Purple Whirlwinds, this was before Smith and Page existed, donning purple and gold athletic gear as they performed miracle after athletic miracle, supposedly named regarding the brisk wind that seems to blow down the downtown streets at alarming speeds. As the Greensboro Daily News,( before they changed the name to the News and Record ), shortened the headlines concerning the Purple Whirlwinds, the local media shortening slash changin' their name to Whirlies, which they've been known since the late fifties, or perhaps the early sixties, not that I'd remember, but having been told such by reliable sources.

Link.

Reactions: 1RollTideinNC
Originally posted by rambbq:
Hey..I remember the "Amazing Rhythm Aces"........."3rd rate romance....low rent rendezvous...."....oops not a football team//
Have a drank and a journey down Memory Avenue of some dive interstate lodging facility you ended up in with some chick that said she was from Thomasville, gallopin' down Eighty Five South one night after getting lost when exiting The Castaways, Mister Ram Bar-B-Que. Hope you're well, Sir.

Link.

Hey...GSO in re: to Page high school starting up..records say Reidsville played Page in 1959 (didn't realize they were around then)...Smith I believe was 1963 or 64...Reidsville played them for several years beginning in 1965..when the late great Claude Manzi was their head coach............and thanks for asking...I'm doing OK for a senior citizen....lol............

Page opened in nineteen and fifty eight, Mister Ram Bar-B-Que, and Smith followed in nineteen and sixty three, the same year this selection was released, playing over and over and over on Greensboro's own WCOG, and other AM stations across the United States. We had a name for the sweet smellin' coeds at Page back in the day. We called them " candy girls. "

Link.

Mr, GSO, it took you 34 minutes to post "third rate romance" after your post of the HS nickname. You must be slipping. :) still waiting on an Almond Brothers songs to be associated with a nickname.

Good thread and I knew you would add to it!

Charlie and Inez Fox, both Greensboro Dudley grads, recorded their hit, " Mockingbird " in 1963, the same year Greensboro Smith opened its doors for academic excellence. At one time, Charlie and Inez, who were brother and sister, knew a dude that knew Tommy Roe, who had the hit, " Dizzy. " At one time, and it was for a short time, Berry Oakley, bassist for the Allman Brothers Band, plied his trade for Mister Roe before joining the Allman Brothers.

Link.

First Flight High School from Kill Devil Hills and Northern Guilford share the nickname Nighthawks, and after Gregg Allman had been nonchalantly booted from Cher's abode in southern California, Mister Allman briefly plied his trade with The Nighthawks, an outfit from the D.C. area, he later explaining this was the " crossroads " of his life slash career.

Link.

- South Stokes Sauras
- Watauga Pioneers
- West Davidson Green Dragons
- Swain County Maroon Devils
- Fayetteville Smith Golden Bulls
- Greenville Rose Rampants ( supposedly named after observing Mister Smee's behavior in a Greenville watering hole. )
- Mayodan McMichael Fighting Phoenix
- Canton Pisgah Black Bears
- Black Mountain Owen Warhorses ( Roberta Flack's hometown.)

Link.

I have read somewhere that Rockingham High School (now part of Richmond Sr.) at one time was known as the orange blossoms. The color was black and gold. When there was a problem getting gold crape paper they changed the gold to Orange. The name at some point was changed to the Rockets.

Reidsville High School for a while in the 1920's were known as the Golden Tornados....in 1929 they became the Golden Lions (which is what I was)....they became the Rams in 1969.............

Mesquite high school in Texas are called the SKEETERS,it's not nc but I think it's pretty funny.

These are names of athletic team which are unique in North Carolina

-The Concord Spiders

-The Needham Broughton Capitals (Raleigh, NC)

-The South Mecklenburg Sabres (Charlotte)

-The Swain County Maroon Devils (Bryson City, NC)

-The Statesville Greyhounds

-The Hickory Red Tornadoes

-The Lincolnton Wolves (Cedar Ridge High in Hillsborough, NC, are the Red Wolves and Whiteville is the Wolfpack but I don't know of another team in NC that are simply the Wolves).
happy.r191677.gif

The most brilliant mascot name out there has got to be the Arkansas school of the DEF and their mascot is the Leopards...love that band BTW

...lord newbies...this topic has only been covered a couple of hundred times over the years!....geeezzz

Most popular mascots in North Carolina (as of 2012)

- Eagles 38 (There are 3 Golden Eagles and 1 War Eagles)
- Warriors 25
- Vikings 22
- Cougars 21
- Wildcats 19
- Bulldogs 18
- Knights 17 (There is 1 Black Knights)
- Panthers 14
- Tigers 14
- Patriots 14 (There is 1 Running Patriots)
- Trojans 13
- Rams 13
- Falcons 12 (There is 1 Golden Falcons)
- Spartans 10
- Lions 10 (There is 1 Golden Lions)
This post was edited on 3/10 10:26 PM by Screamin' Monk

I CAN NOT PASS THIS UP. THE PAM PACK OF WASHINGTON CAME FROM THE PAMLICO PACKING COMPANY. THE FIGHTING SKIRTS OF SCOTLAND COUNTY. JUST HAVING A LITTLE FUN HOPE EVERYTHING IS ALRIGHT IN DOWN YOUR WAY. I WOULD LIKE COMMEND YOU ON HOW YOU HANDLED THIS SEASON. MY PRAYERS ARE WITH YOU AND YOUR PROGRAM AND THE YOUNG MAN. BORED AS YOU KNOW WHAT-----------------. LOOKING FORWARD TO THE COMMING SEASON.
CT147
This post was edited on 3/12 7:22 AM by ct147

Originally posted by ct147:

I CAN NOT PASS THIS UP. THE PAM PACK OF WASHINGTON CAME FROM THE PAMLICO PACKING COMPANY. THE FIGHTING SKIRTS OF SCOTLAND COUNTY. JUST HAVING A LITTLE FUN HOPE EVERYTHING IS ALRIGHT IN DOWN YOUR WAY. I WOULD LIKE COMMEND YOU ON HOW YOU HANDLED THIS SEASON. MY PRAYERS ARE WITH YOU AND YOUR PROGRAM AND THE YOUNG MAN. BORED AS YOU KNOW WHAT-----------------. LOOKING FORWARD TO THE COMMING SEASON.
CT147

This post was edited on 3/12 7:22 AM by ct147
Thanks ct, I had no idea on Pam Pack.

Originally posted by TVILLEDAWG2370:
Mesquite high school in Texas are called the SKEETERS,it's not nc but I think it's pretty funny.
Yes Sir and I went to a game a few years ago when the opposing team ran thru a banner that Had a 'Skeeter' on it next to can of raid and a fly swatter...and it read 'Exterminate the Skeeters'

I hear ya T Roy C,north Carolina don't really have any crazy/funny or weird mascot names,but I did find some really good ones from around the country and here are just a few.

1)Frost polar bears,Texas
2)Teutopolis wooden shoes,ILLINOIS
3)Cairo syrupmakers,Georgia
4)New Braunfels unicorns,Texas
5)New Berlin Pretzels,ILLINOIS
6)Williamsport Millionaires,Pennsylvania
7)Winters Blizzards,Texas
8)Kaukauna Galloping Ghosts,Wisconsin
9)Rocky Ford Meloneers,Colorado
10)Poca Dots,West Virginia
11)Laurel Hill Hoboes
12)Chinook Sugarbeeters
13)Blooming Prairie Awesome Blossoms,Minnesota
14)Camas Papermakers,Washington
15)Johnson Atom Smashers,Georgia
16)Hoopeston Cornjerkers
17)Watersmeet Nimrods,Michigan
18)Chattanooga central Purplepounders

Also not in NC, but how about the Compton Tar Babies from Compton, CA? I can only imagine that one takes the cake. As for NC, and being a Watauga Pioneers alumni, I didn't realize pioneer was such a rare mascot. Interesting fact.

I find Crest Charges and AC Reynolds Rockets to be pretty cool and unique, not a fan of the green and yellow color combo. I like the AL Brown Wonders too.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT