ADVERTISEMENT

Cleveland County

After the first conference draft you always have those with “special circumstances” making requests. The first draft of conferences are usually pretty good before all the suggested changes come into play. For example you always have a system like Gaston County that fights to keep their schools together. GC always brings up the trying to keep travel costs down and getting kids home at a decent hour argument. Personally I think the real reason GC schools fights to keep their schools together is to have local control over all of its athletic programs where it can then continue to use their version of the good ole boy system to influence what happens. GC schools then implements their own “Gaston County sports rules.” Keeping most of the Gaston County schools together probably set GC high school football back 12-15yrs behind their neighboring county teams with the exception of South Point in my opinion.
This is crap. What doesn't happen in GACO on such a large scale like it does in Cleveland County and many other counties is the rabid recruiting and moving schools for sports sake to get programs better. You exclude SP in the GACO argument...so take them out.

How can you say St. Cramer, North Gaston, Ashbrook, East Gaston, Hunter Huss, FV, Bessemer City and Cherryville are part of some "good ole boys network"? All those schools football teams average between 2-6 wins the last decade with the exception of one program (see below about them). What divisive or greedy plan are they enacting?

It has a whole lot more to do with GACO kids getting wholesale robbed/recruited than anything else. If everybody just stayed where they're supposed to go there would be an ebb and flow of wins but it would be more competitive across the board. So what makes football programs "behind" is their lack of recruiting. Most of GACO HSs are of similar size so having them in the same conf. makes sense.

Perfect example: HH football for 3-4 years under the coach that came from Grier and recruited far and wide. They were "good" during that time.....the same way CC teams are good these days. THAT was the "good ole boys network" at play. What you have in GACO sports now is the byproduct of OTHER neighboring county programs having the good ole boy network.

If you can't beat 'em with your kids, I guess go and try rob somebody's else is what is being taught by those programs.

When Rutherford County said we want no more of Cleveland County schools they accommodated.
As they should. Big difference in student population numbers plus CC robs them of sports talent. Why should or would they want to play against them in anything?

As they should. Big difference in student population numbers plus CC robs them of sports talent. Why should or would they want to play against them in anything?
Just curious, but do you think these coaches at Cleveland County schools get in contact with athletes/parents and have them move from their home to Cleveland County or pay their transfer fee?

This is from I know and have seen first hand. Kids and their parents want to be apart of a winning culture and try to move to the next level. Sometimes you have to go were the fit is.(ex. When Marquise left Shelby to go to Mallard Creek district, it was a plan for him to be a big time QB and at the time,Shelby was run dominated which wasn't going to hone his QB skills).

I have sat at many games over the years and you would be surprised at the number of kids from other counties, on bye weeks are at Cleveland County games. The atmosphere, the athletic complexs and even the jerseys are what they are in awe about. Cleveland County schools put out a great product and many kids are going to the next level from there and that's their goal if they make a move.

What is crazy is in 15 Marquise was watching Mallard Creek and Shelby in Raleigh in the State Championships. He said it was always a dream of his to be a Golden Lion. He couldn’t believe how good Shelby’s offense was and that their qb had thrown for 60 tds.

Reactions: crestrulz
This is crap. What doesn't happen in GACO on such a large scale like it does in Cleveland County and many other counties is the rabid recruiting and moving schools for sports sake to get programs better. You exclude SP in the GACO argument...so take them out.

How can you say St. Cramer, North Gaston, Ashbrook, East Gaston, Hunter Huss, FV, Bessemer City and Cherryville are part of some "good ole boys network"? All those schools football teams average between 2-6 wins the last decade with the exception of one program (see below about them). What divisive or greedy plan are they enacting?

It has a whole lot more to do with GACO kids getting wholesale robbed/recruited than anything else. If everybody just stayed where they're supposed to go there would be an ebb and flow of wins but it would be more competitive across the board. So what makes football programs "behind" is their lack of recruiting. Most of GACO HSs are of similar size so having them in the same conf. makes sense.

Perfect example: HH football for 3-4 years under the coach that came from Grier and recruited far and wide. They were "good" during that time.....the same way CC teams are good these days. THAT was the "good ole boys network" at play. What you have in GACO sports now is the byproduct of OTHER neighboring county programs having the good ole boy network.

If you can't beat 'em with your kids, I guess go and try rob somebody's else is what is being taught by those programs.
First you are absolutely clueless and you lack reading comprehension skills. If you have questions after reading then ask for clarification. You run on here with rumors and hearsay with no facts. Your recruiting arguments don’t make any sense. So which coaching staffs is it? You have absolutely no clue what you are talking about and I know for a fact that there are some Gaston county coaches or those close to their programs are reaching out to kids and their parents about switching high schools. There are four high schools that are VERY active right now reaching out to kids and their parents to switch schools. 3 of the 4 have reached out to KM kids. Let’s see how many of the young talented Stuart Cramer kids end up at SP. I also know about that little hazing incident SP had going on that got covered up. If a parent chooses to move their kid into a district then that is the business of that parent. Stop making stuff up. Usually coaches don’t know who the kids are until they show up. Also everyone knows that GC schools has fought the last couple of realignments to keep their schools together and that GC has selectively enforced rules and policies on certain schools. It’s about power and control by the county. A word of advice to you is don’t throw rocks when you are living in a glass house.

Last edited:
Just curious, but do you think these coaches at Cleveland County schools get in contact with athletes/parents and have them move from their home to Cleveland County or pay their transfer fee?

This is from I know and have seen first hand. Kids and their parents want to be apart of a winning culture and try to move to the next level. Sometimes you have to go were the fit is.(ex. When Marquise left Shelby to go to Mallard Creek district, it was a plan for him to be a big time QB and at the time,Shelby was run dominated which wasn't going to hone his QB skills).

I have sat at many games over the years and you would be surprised at the number of kids from other counties, on bye weeks are at Cleveland County games. The atmosphere, the athletic complexs and even the jerseys are what they are in awe about. Cleveland County schools put out a great product and many kids are going to the next level from there and that's their goal if they make a move.
There were so many GC middle school athletes and their parents at the KM/Crest game that it bordere

There were a ton of GC middle school and youth team athletes at the Crest/KM game last year. Many of those kids parents were in awe of the environment. Name one GC rivalry game that comes close to matching that environment or really any CC head to head matchup. In Cleveland County you gonna play in several of those type of big environment games every season. There is no comparison with the exception of maybe a really good SP team playing a really good CC team.

What is crazy is in 15 Marquise was watching Mallard Creek and Shelby in Raleigh in the State Championships. He said it was always a dream of his to be a Golden Lion. He couldn’t believe how good Shelby’s offense was and that their qb had thrown for 60 tds.
Do not forget about James Smith who moved from Shelby to Mallard Creek.

There were so many GC middle school athletes and their parents at the KM/Crest game that it bordere

There were a ton of GC middle school and youth team athletes at the Crest/KM game last year. Many of those kids parents were in awe of the environment. Name one GC rivalry game that comes close to matching that environment or really any CC head to head matchup. In Cleveland County you gonna play in several of those type of big environment games every season. There is no comparison with the exception of maybe a really good SP team playing a really good CC team.
Spittin’ 🔥🔥🔥

Odums is trying to build a Cleveland County squad in Norfolk.

Gardner Webb is ignorant.
I can never understand why GWU doesn’t recruit Cleveland County harder. A lot of CC kids FIRST offer should be from Gardner Webb and not offered by GW after a kid has received multiple offers from other schools. GW coaches should be living in the CC schools.

Last edited:
Coach Blue is a smart man. When he took the job he stated that he was going to make NC a priority in his recruitment plans. He especially noted the Greensboro, Charlotte metro, and Cleveland County being at the top of that list. I suspect that with how well AJ and Isaiah played for them as true freshmen, Norfolk State would hit CC even harder with recruiting.

First you are absolutely clueless and you lack reading comprehension skills. If you have questions after reading then ask for clarification. You run on here with rumors and hearsay with no facts. Your recruiting arguments don’t make any sense. So which coaching staffs is it? You have absolutely no clue what you are talking about and I know for a fact that there are some Gaston county coaches or those close to their programs are reaching out to kids and their parents about switching high schools. There are four high schools that are VERY active right now reaching out to kids and their parents to switch schools. 3 of the 4 have reached out to KM kids. Let’s see how many of the young talented Stuart Cramer kids end up at SP. I also know about that little hazing incident SP had going on that got covered up. If a parent chooses to move their kid into a district then that is the business of that parent. Stop making stuff up. Usually coaches don’t know who the kids are until they show up. Also everyone knows that GC schools has fought the last couple of realignments to keep their schools together and that GC has selectively enforced rules and policies on certain schools. It’s about power and control by the county. A word of advice to you is don’t throw rocks when you are living in a glass house.
I lack reading comprehension skills? LOL. I think it is funny you on here trying to convince people of something that is admitted, documented and prevalent within CC athletic programs. Other people on here telling SP to "get with the times" - ie, do what many are doing.
So all that "talent" from an 0-10 St. Cramer team eh? Despite the many protestations of St. Cramer's renowned talent - somehow they couldn't block, tackle, run, cover, pass or warm up very well. If they come to SP....they live in Belmont... and it won't matter very much. The Jr. class is loaded at SP. Nobody from Ranlo is coming to SP.
I don't doubt there are other GACO schools (not SP) reaching out to kids the last year or two....I would fully expect based on the HC hires. Where they came from and what was done at those programs in the past - I bet they're trying to do just that, too. Nothing is covered up. The basketball situation is pretty well-known.

I lack reading comprehension skills? LOL. I think it is funny you on here trying to convince people of something that is admitted, documented and prevalent within CC athletic programs. Other people on here telling SP to "get with the times" - ie, do what many are doing.
So all that "talent" from an 0-10 St. Cramer team eh? Despite the many protestations of St. Cramer's renowned talent - somehow they couldn't block, tackle, run, cover, pass or warm up very well. If they come to SP....they live in Belmont... and it won't matter very much. The Jr. class is loaded at SP. Nobody from Ranlo is coming to SP.
I don't doubt there are other GACO schools (not SP) reaching out to kids the last year or two....I would fully expect based on the HC hires. Where they came from and what was done at those programs in the past - I bet they're trying to do just that, too. Nothing is covered up. The basketball situation is pretty well-known.
Again you are completely unaware of GC talent and athletics while you live in GC. You GC football guys say stuff to see what sticks or use it as excuses. There is a lot of movement with athletes right now within GC and in some cases out of GC. GC is probably sitting on some of the best football talent in their rising sophomore and junior classes in the past 20yrs in the state. You keep mentioning records of teams so riddle me this? How did a Huss team that KM beat 41-0 and Crest beat 49-3 turn around and beat SP if those teams have no talent? SP also barely beat a 2-8 FV team that was blown out by KM & Crest. Those GC teams with bad records have really good young talent. Huss has probably sent more kids to the next level in the last few years than SP. In many cases they are not getting high level varsity coaching. Cramer has some studs in that rising sophomore class that are making their way to SP. Ashbrook is loaded with talent and have been plucking former NG players the last 9-10mths. Parents in GC are being proactive, as long as it is within the rules than who cares? GC obviously doesn’t care because if it did than it would improve the athletic resources and facilities for their football programs. Huss has to take hand me down equipment from SP, Ashbrook has a metal trash pile behind their visitor’s stands. GC high schools have had opportunity after opportunity to bring in some great high school coaches from the outside but this is not the route that GC likes to take. It’s an easy excuse to say CC schools are recruiting when some parents decide to move instead of suffering through four years of no support from their administrations. The same administration that want to control who can be hired as coaches and what little dollars the athletic programs bring in to disburse as they see fit. Make it make sense.

Last edited:
Again you are completely unaware of GC talent and athletics while you live in GC. You GC football guys say stuff to see what sticks or use it as excuses. There is a lot of movement with athletes right now within GC and in some cases out of GC. GC is probably sitting on some of the best football talent in their rising sophomore and junior classes in the past 20yrs in the state. You keep mentioning records of teams so riddle me this? How did a Huss team that KM beat 41-0 and Crest beat 49-3 turn around and beat SP if those teams have no talent? SP also barely beat a 2-8 FV team that was blown out by KM & Crest. Those GC teams with bad records have really good young talent. Huss has probably sent more kids to the next level in the last few years than SP. In many cases they are not getting high level varsity coaching. Cramer has some studs in that rising sophomore class that are making their way to SP. Ashbrook is loaded with talent and have been plucking former NG players the last 9-10mths. Parents in GC are being proactive, as long as it is within the rules than who cares? GC obviously doesn’t care because if it did than it would improve the athletic resources and facilities for their football programs. Huss has to take hand me down equipment from SP, Ashbrook has a metal trash pile behind their visitor’s stands. GC high schools have had opportunity after opportunity to bring in some great high school coaches from the outside but this is not the route that GC likes to take. It’s an easy excuse to say CC schools are recruiting when some parents decide to move instead of suffering through four years of no support from their administrations. The same administration that want to control who can be hired as coaches and what little dollars the athletic programs bring in to disburse as they see fit. Make it make sense.

Facts !!

Reading comprehension skills, huh? I'm gonna let you go back and re-read the last couple exchanges and figure this out.
BTW- Ashbrook has plucking players from NG for about 40 years.

That last part though: Parents decide to move. As long as that's happening....it is a little more tolerable. But....we know all know that isn't 100% the case.
As far as control....teachers and administrators have that job. They decide who gets hired and where to spend $. If you want control of it - go do that job. It isn't a community organizer job. Can't be some guy off the street with his own ideas. That's for local youth rec leagues.

Reading comprehension skills, huh? I'm gonna let you go back and re-read the last couple exchanges and figure this out.
BTW- Ashbrook has plucking players from NG for about 40 years.

That last part though: Parents decide to move. As long as that's happening....it is a little more tolerable. But....we know all know that isn't 100% the case.
As far as control....teachers and administrators have that job. They decide who gets hired and where to spend $. If you want control of it - go do that job. It isn't a community organizer job. Can't be some guy off the street with his own ideas. That's for local youth rec leagues.
GC athletes have moved around for years which has been my point all along. Also you insinuate recent years so my point addressed what has being going on recently. You also constantly move the goal posts. SP is like everyone else, they have athletes that have moved into the district or maybe not over years. I can remember many years where SP had a Gaston County all star team because kids wanted to play baseball there. I will say this again, the way GC hires whether it is teaching or coaching positions is a problem. You deflecting because you don’t know and making up stuff. No one said anything about hiring off the street. SP benefits the most athletically from all of the stupidity that happens in their county around, for now at least. Talent is high in GC but overall coaching talent is middle school level at best.

Reactions: BIGSAUSAGES
GC athletes have moved around for years which has been my point all along. Also you insinuate recent years so my point addressed what has being going on recently. You also constantly move the goal posts. SP is like everyone else, they have athletes that have moved into the district or maybe not over years. I can remember many years where SP had a Gaston County all star team because kids wanted to play baseball there. I will say this again, the way GC hires whether it is teaching or coaching positions is a problem. You deflecting because you don’t know and making up stuff. No one said anything about hiring off the street. SP benefits the most athletically from all of the stupidity that happens in their county around, for now at least. Talent is high in GC but overall coaching talent is middle school level at best.
Well we agree on something. GACO football coaching throughout the vast majority of the last 20 years has been MS level most years at all places except one place.
...and haven't been any All Star baseball teams since 2010-2011. There have been some All Hype teams, but not All Star teams.

I know first hand that Cramer also has a stud being contacted by the KM staff.

I know first hand that Cramer also has a stud being contacted by the KM staff.
I know who you are referencing and KM coaches did not contact him. A message came through the kids that his family was looking at moving to KM. I believe all the conversation around multiple Cramer kids leaving for SP or trying to leave for SP is effecting kids and parents not wanting to get stuck behind in a not so good situation.

I know who you are referencing and KM coaches did not contact him. A message came through the kids that his family was looking at moving to KM. I believe all the conversation around multiple Cramer kids leaving for SP or trying to leave for SP is effecting kids and parents not wanting to get stuck behind in a not so good situation.

There is a link to admin and his family. The family isn't moving. They will simply pay to transfer. The best thing that can happen to SC is a coaching overhaul. I will give you that you are spot on with players being open to leave is because of the current status at SC.

You don’t say. Ol Moe Howard don’t play.
The moment they land that recruit

the-three-stooges-moe-and-curly-dance.gif

There is a link to admin and his family. The family isn't moving. They will simply pay to transfer. The best thing that can happen to SC is a coaching overhaul. I will give you that you are spot on with players being open to leave is because of the current status at SC.
Yes you are correct, there are kids paying for transfers. I agree that Cramer needs a coaching overhaul. Cramer is handpicking teachers and coaches from the rest of GC. This has been good for them in some aspects and horrible for them in other aspects such as coaching hires. SP, EG, and Mountain Island have been lucky for the most part in staying away from some of the mess. I do believe that Mt Island Charter being forced to change to a full lottery system by the county with no exceptions is going to destroy that football program completely. It’s already started to be frank.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT