ADVERTISEMENT

Cleveland County

Most football players in middle and high school are encouraged strongly to run track by coaches. In Cleveland County traditionally your middle school and high school track teams are 70-80% football players most years.
Unless you have some really good sprint or jump coaches your not going to get the carryover from track that alot of old heads think you will get.

Unless you have some really good sprint or jump coaches your not going to get the carryover from track that alot of old heads think you will get.
I respectfully disagree. The first benefit for football players running track is that it improves sprinters and jumpers quick twitch explosion, it teaches “form” running which directly impacts your skill position kids on both sides of the ball in football, and last it keeps your athletes active when many may be at home eating Oreos, drinking soda, and playing video games. Most coaches love and encourage multi-sport athletes.

Reactions: mountie pride
I respectfully disagree. The first benefit for football players running track is that it improves sprinters and jumpers quick twitch explosion, it teaches “form” running which directly impacts your skill position kids on both sides of the ball in football, and last it keeps your athletes active when many may be at home eating Oreos, drinking soda, and playing video games. Most coaches love and encourage multi-sport athletes.
I'm all for multiple sports athletes but the "average" track coach is not going to make you faster on the football field. It may keep you in shape but that's about it.

Reactions: DeBoer31
I'm all for multiple sports athletes but the "average" track coach is not going to make you faster on the football field. It may keep you in shape but that's about it.
Guess it depends on the coach and school but in years past, in Cleveland County, about all football players,especially skill positions ran track and and linemen did field events. They had some great coaches that really taught speed. I had family and friends kids that came through when McSwain was track coach at Crest. All those state meet qualifiers for Crest were all great in middle school also learning from him.

Most football players in middle and high school are encouraged strongly to run track by coaches. In Cleveland County traditionally your middle school and high school track teams are 70-80% football players most years.
Seems like I recall back in the mid 80s at Burns, Coach Greene said if you played Football in the fall, then you damn sure was running track in the spring.... who knows about today....

Learning the correct way to run absolutely translates over to the football field especially for skill guys. Track, football, and basketball all emphasize some form of plyometric training, exercises, or techniques. Track especially uses a ton of plyometric drills that directly translates to those other sports. Good running technique can take a kid from a 4.7-4.8 forty to a 4.6-4.5 forty which makes all the difference in the world on the field and how college recruiters view you as a recruit. If the “average”middle school and definitely high school coach doesn’t at least take the time to learn about his or her sport than that “coach” has no business leading that sport.

Reactions: Freshmanposter01
Learning the correct way to run absolutely translates over to the football field especially for skill guys. Track, football, and basketball all emphasize some form of plyometric training, exercises, or techniques. Track especially uses a ton of plyometric drills that directly translates to those other sports. Good running technique can take a kid from a 4.7-4.8 forty to a 4.6-4.5 forty which makes all the difference in the world on the field and how college recruiters view you as a recruit. If the “average”middle school and definitely high school coach doesn’t at least take the time to learn about his or her sport than that “coach” has no business leading that sport.
I just don't see a ton of track coaches that are going to trim .2 a second off a forty with form and plyos. Maybe they are out there but I'm suspect. Most kids need to get stronger to get faster. If they are still slow after that then it may be a form or technical problem.

Reactions: notanyonesfan
I just don't see a ton of track coaches that are going to trim .2 a second off a forty with form and plyos. Maybe they are out there but I'm suspect. Most kids need to get stronger to get faster. If they are still slow after that then it may be a form or technical problem.
Thats why I mentioned form running. Getting stronger is definitely part of the equation and some forms of plyometrics can help with that. Box jumps, parachute work, high knees, squat jumps, etc. All work on explosion in your lower body. There is an old saying that as a coach if you have two athletes and one is well trained, has perfect technique, perfect form, and runs a 4.6 while the other athlete you are measuring against him is not trained, has bad form, bad technique, but runs a 4.6 also. You take the kid with bad form because he is going to show the biggest improvement in performance and speed when he is trained and his technique improves.
The real question I have is what are your expectations for Hibriten football? What kind of conference you are hoping to see for them in next realignment

Reactions: beamer24
Thats why I mentioned form running. Getting stronger is definitely part of the equation and some forms of plyometrics can help with that. Box jumps, parachute work, high knees, squat jumps, etc. All work on explosion in your lower body. There is an old saying that as a coach if you have two athletes and one is well trained, has perfect technique, perfect form, and runs a 4.6 while the other athlete you are measuring against him is not trained, has bad form, bad technique, but runs a 4.6 also. You take the kid with bad form because he is going to show the biggest improvement in performance and speed when he is trained and his technique improves.
The real question I have is what are your expectations for Hibriten football? What kind of conference you are hoping to see for them in next realignment
I think we're going to be OK. Still have a tough non conference schedule and Watauga seems to be the perennial favorite in conference but I think we can compete if we stay healthy. 1st game against hickory should be telling.
As for realignment who knows I'm just glad we won't be playing West Charlotte in the playoffs anymore lol

Reactions: shutdownD24
I couldn't see the actual numbers yesterday but Burns had a decent group out for spring ball. Had a decent view before the softball game started. Press box is looking really nice too! Shingles are on the roof and brick is going up. Very impressed with the overall look of it.
I feel like this is an important year for Burns. I know we all expect to be a little down, but we have to win the game we're supposed to win. One bad year can easily turn into several bad years. I truly believe the future is bright, we just have to keep the ship afloat this season, and I have full confidence that Divine can do that.

I feel like this is an important year for Burns. I know we all expect to be a little down, but we have to win the game we're supposed to win. One bad year can easily turn into several bad years. I truly believe the future is bright, we just have to keep the ship afloat this season, and I have full confidence that Divine can do that.
The future is definitely bright. Just have to get the younger players up to speed and if they continue to buy in it will work itself out. I’m still ready for this conference to be over. Devine has the support he deserves and I would be fine to see him at the top of the program for as long as he wants to coach. He is as good as it gets for the kids, the community and the program.

I imagine when high school sports were originally developed, the thought was to provide exercise and recreation for the students. It seems in many instances, sports have become a must win or win at all cost endeavors. I don’t believe in participation trophies. I do believe competition teaches athletes real world values they will need as adults.
Winning is the goal but I sometimes feel we put to much emphasis on winning. We can all recall instances where adults have made decisions that didn’t benefit the program or the kids. It is up to school administrators to interview and hire coaches who first and foremost have integrity and are respected as individuals before they are considered as coaches. I guess my problem is the world is not black and white. There are way to many shades of gray for my poor brain can deal with.

Question for my Crest bretheren. Have the Chargers finalized their coaching staff yet or are you still looking to fill a couple of coaching spots? I haven’t heard anything official about who the defensive coordinator and offensive line coach will be yet?

Question for my Crest bretheren. Have the Chargers finalized their coaching staff yet or are you still looking to fill a couple of coaching spots? I haven’t heard anything official about who the defensive coordinator and offensive line coach will be yet?
I heard one KM coach is going over but not confirmed. If it is official I have not read it publicly so out of respect I will wait and see if it becomes public before going any further. To me it made sense with the history.

I know DC has been hired but I don't think it's been announced yet. Not sure about OL but it sounded like it was close.

I heard one KM coach is going over but not confirmed. If it is official I have not read it publicly so out of respect I will wait and see if it becomes public before going any further. To me it made sense with the history.
I believe most KM fans anticipated one of the coaches making the leap over. It’s being kept hush probably until the end of school I imagine.

Last edited:
I may be in the minority here but I think the Crest Defense is loaded. I know the backend is and the line and backers should be a good bit better. I think it has the potential to be 🤮

We lost good production at WR but it is my opinion that if what we have at the position play to their potential a lot of folks are going to be surprised. I seen one that is about 6’5”

Our issue will be the QB. Melton is going to be 🔥 but he is young. I believe by the end of the year that kid will be legit. The talent is there.

Lloyd didn’t inherit a jalopy. If he coaches them up the next couple years he’s got a shot.

I can’t freaking wait until Moe Howard loads them busses up the last regular season game. Binky needs to invest in handkerchiefs. And eye drops and a boot he can shine up, turn sideways and shove it straight up Moe’s 🍬🫏.

#HATEUS!

Hearing good things about the WR from Chase. Add him to Borders, Rhodes and Edwards plus the group coming from the JV team, not a bad way to try and rebuild, but they certainly have big shoes to fill.

I may be in the minority here but I think the Crest Defense is loaded. I know the backend is and the line and backers should be a good bit better. I think it has the potential to be 🤮

We lost good production at WR but it is my opinion that if what we have at the position play to their potential a lot of folks are going to be surprised. I seen one that is about 6’5”

Our issue will be the QB. Melton is going to be 🔥 but he is young. I believe by the end of the year that kid will be legit. The talent is there.

Lloyd didn’t inherit a jalopy. If he coaches them up the next couple years he’s got a shot.

I can’t freaking wait until Moe Howard loads them busses up the last regular season game. Binky needs to invest in handkerchiefs. And eye drops and a boot he can shine up, turn sideways and shove it straight up Moe’s 🍬🫏.

#HATEUS!
Went to spring practice today and I like what I saw we ain’t gonna be nobodys

#HATEUS!
Stopped in to watch spring practice today and like what i saw..secondary is deep and Pluto and Lyrik saw time at WR..Brock is still playing baseball so he wasn’t there but the kid from Chase handled himself well I don’t think there is a clear starter at QB

I can’t wait until KM travels over to KM-West. Definitely should be entertaining. The coaching storyline leading up to the game should be epic along with the smack talk..

#HATEUS!
Same here Rulz on the defense , they will be nasty this season
We still have a lot of talent at WR , Crest will be fine.
Looking forward to a very good and productive year.
Don’t forget the RB position , Carson will flat out be a baller this season , expect a huge season from Carson. He looks the part , been in weight from and you can tell.

Reactions: crestrulz
Went to spring practice today and I like what I saw we ain’t gonna be nobodys

Stopped in to watch spring practice today and like what i saw..secondary is deep and Pluto and Lyrik saw time at WR..Brock is still playing baseball so he wasn’t there but the kid from Chase handled himself well I don’t think there is a clear starter at QB
I heard about the QB situation. If one kid is not the starter there will be some hurt feelings for sure. When it was said that Hamrick had a choice between Crest and AC I know at least one parent who had their eyes and ears open about what to do depending on that decision. Now you got another potential situation so who knows how this plays out.

I heard about the QB situation. If one kid is not the starter there will be some hurt feelings for sure. When it was said that Hamrick had a choice between Crest and AC I know at least one parent who had their eyes and ears open about what to do depending on that decision. Now you got another potential situation so who knows how this plays out.
We'll take the angry kid.

Last edited:
Same here Rulz on the defense , they will be nasty this season
We still have a lot of talent at WR , Crest will be fine.
Looking forward to a very good and productive year.
Don’t forget the RB position , Carson will flat out be a baller this season , expect a huge season from Carson. He looks the part , been in weight from and you can tell.
5 and 6 carry games aren't happening this season.

You Burns folks hoping there is qb battle
Go look at another school for your qb
That set of ears and eyes that are open you speak of is ALL IN at Crest.

If you can’t win the qb job at Chase what make you think you can come and win it at Crest.

Do your research!! He was the starting QB at Chase his Sophomore and Junior year and would have been his Senior year had he not moved. Have you even seen him throw??
Junior year he was starter until injury correct? Guess everything is healed and ready.

Junior year he was starter until injury correct? Guess everything is healed and ready.
He looks ready to go to me, and to everyone else that's seen him at practice. He was also named to the top returning 3A QBs to watch in all 4 categories on HighSchoolOT, and that was based off his 2A #'s.

Do your research!! He was the starting QB at Chase his Sophomore and Junior year and would have been his Senior year had he not moved. Have you even seen him throw??
Done research
How many schools has he attended ?
Got best out his freshman year by one of the QBs at Crest now
It’s just opinion
Yes I have seen him throw , decent , how’s his running ?
Got to have a dual threat at qb these days.
And at 150 lbs that’s a little light of you ask me.
92 are you his dad , uncle ?

You Burns folks hoping there is qb battle
Go look at another school for your qb
That set of ears and eyes that are open you speak of is ALL IN at Crest.
Right and wrong. I do agree a good QB battle is healthy. Better get used to it for the next level. Wrong about the eyes and ears. One foot out the door is a fact until AC won the lotto. Some people know who not to tell their feelings to. That I guarantee you. You have to wonder. What was said to get the Chase kid to transfer.... Once again, Otis is much sneakier than you ever gave him credit for or clearly knew. It will be a full season before all of the dust settles. I am a Lloyd fan myself so I hope he gets things back in order quick.

Reactions: egfan
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT