ADVERTISEMENT

Cherokee @ Mitchell

Hard to pass judgement on Mitchell in the Erwin game. It was the first game, with a young team, and alot of new faces, and a new QB, and they kept it close against a team that was bigger, faster, and more experienced. I give them a pass in that game, much like I give Murphy a pass in the loss vs Pisgah. The Dogs had a couple starters injured, one quit a couple days earlier. Murphy should have beat Pisgah.

I don't see Cherokee having anywhere near the talent that Erwin has this year. Although they do have a good coach, and that means alot.

I wouldn't say it was that close. Erwin was up 28-7 in the 3rd qtr and went very conservative. That being said I think Mitchell is a really good team and could win a title this season.

Boone is definitely a good lineman for Mitchell that moves well, but I can promise you that if Mintz is at quarterback when he is coming with the rush, he will probably not place a hand on Mintz with his speed and movement side to side, he will not be affected, unless there are 3 other Mitchell defenders keeping him from escaping the pocket. If I were playing Mintz and he was at QB, I would be putting on a controlled rush to keep him in the pocket to throw. That is where Mitchell should want him because it will be hard to throw to himself and the next receiver option is not very close to him.

As for the normal QB at Cherokee and what he brings to the table when under pressure I would not be able to speak.

I wouldn't say it was that close. Erwin was up 28-7 in the 3rd qtr and went very conservative. That being said I think Mitchell is a really good team and could win a title this season.
Well the point is Mitchell is a young team who lost a lot starters including a 4 year starting QB and the first half they were playing like it weren't consistent in thier playing. And they improved alot later in the season. But then again Erwin probably did too but you could tell who had the more experienced team. And Erwin did call more conservative plays in the second half and maybe to conservative because Mitchell played much better in the second as well and Mitchell did make it 28-21 at one point until the kick-off return for a TD which is something that probably wouldn't have happened if they had played 3 games later when Mitchell got thier new kicker who usually kicks it into the end zone now. But Erwin did the same thing against Mountain heritage got ahead in the first then let them back in the second. Erwin has a really good QB if he has a hot hand friday night don't get conservative.

Boone is definitely a good lineman for Mitchell that moves well, but I can promise you that if Mintz is at quarterback when he is coming with the rush, he will probably not place a hand on Mintz with his speed and movement side to side, he will not be affected, unless there are 3 other Mitchell defenders keeping him from escaping the pocket. If I were playing Mintz and he was at QB, I would be putting on a controlled rush to keep him in the pocket to throw. That is where Mitchell should want him because it will be hard to throw to himself and the next receiver option is not very close to him.

As for the normal QB at Cherokee and what he brings to the table when under pressure I would not be able to speak.
Well what I was referring to was someone mentioned with the regular QB just throwing it every play so I meant under those circumstances you could go after the QB and put pressure on him. But no with Boone while he does have good speed for guy his size he doesn't have the speed that Alex McKinney who graduated last year who I have seen chase down quick QB's like Mintz down. But no your right they'll need to contain him at the line if you go chasing a guy like that in the backfield he'll probably excape and get big yardage.

Reactions: Heritage 84

You know if Mintz is QB i don't if I wouldn't have Mitchell linebacker Miller just spy on him the whole time tell him were he goes you go ,not chasing him in the backfield just running side to side don't let him pass the line scrimmage. Miller is actually the lead tackler on the defense.

Might be a good idea. Screen plays to Evans may be an often used play if Mintz is in the backfield. Those are 2 good athletes and kids. If I did not feel team coaches were a lot smarter than I, and have already been planning for this situation, I would not be trying to help either side. Many good kids at both schools but the kids in Green are a notch up on my list. LOL

Might be a good idea. Screen plays to Evans may be an often used play if Mintz is in the backfield. Those are 2 good athletes and kids. If I did not feel team coaches were a lot smarter than I, and have already been planning for this situation, I would not be trying to help either side. Many good kids at both schools but the kids in Green are a notch up on my list. LOL
Screens is another reason I wouldn't want everyone chasing Mintz and if I had a spy gaurding the line scrimmage. But no I haven't been watching film and studying for this game , Pittman is a smarter real coach than I'm an arm chair coach. I'm just spit balling. I am sure if any of these coaches read forms like this they probably say at best.. well that might be a good idea going what they know but they don't know things I do about this game. But more then likely they say.. look at what these dummies (like me) are writing lol.

Weeellll, Mitchell dominated for the 1st quarter, into the 2nd quarter until the fat little back judge called 4 illegal shifts in a row on Mitchell, effectively killing their momentum. Noah tried to get an explanation from him, but gave him a warning and wouldn't say. It was 21-7 at the half, not 28-7, and Erwin might have let off the gas some, but don't play it off like they had their scrubs in there in the 3rd quarter. Like I said, Mitchell played a 3aa team close. A team that was bigger, faster and much more athletic. The Mountaineers were reeling it in in the 4th, but that ko return was a backbreaker and sealed the deal. Kudos to Erwin, I'm hoping they beat Mt Tabor then lay waste to Reynolds next week.

Reactions: Old Mountaineer
Weather is looking nastier and nastier for Friday night, weather channel is saying high around 38 and low of 27 with snow and sleet accumulating less than an inch changing to freezing rain and Ray's weather is giving roughly the same temps with a wintry mix changing over to rain during the night. Dont really think it hurts one team over the other, both mountain teams used to the elements, although Cherokee is used to turf at home, but plays on fields in the SMC in poor conditions, plus I'm sure both teams would prefer to mainly run and mix the pass in as needed. I just hate to see the weather hurt attendance, would like to see a crowd like last years matchup. I wouldn't think we will see a scheduling change though as Mitchell is usually one of the more reluctant teams in the area to ever reschedule because of weather, plus Thanksgiving being Thursday would probably rule out playing Thursday. I love having the wintry elements mixed in though,makes it feel like mountain football, this is one of those weeks you would like to be bringing one of those teams from the flatlands into the high country to play.

Weather is looking nastier and nastier for Friday night, weather channel is saying high around 38 and low of 27 with snow and sleet accumulating less than an inch changing to freezing rain and Ray's weather is giving roughly the same temps with a wintry mix changing over to rain during the night. Dont really think it hurts one team over the other, both mountain teams used to the elements, although Cherokee is used to turf at home, but plays on fields in the SMC in poor conditions, plus I'm sure both teams would prefer to mainly run and mix the pass in as needed. I just hate to see the weather hurt attendance, would like to see a crowd like last years matchup. I wouldn't think we will see a scheduling change though as Mitchell is usually one of the more reluctant teams in the area to ever reschedule because of weather, plus Thanksgiving being Thursday would probably rule out playing Thursday. I love having the wintry elements mixed in though,makes it feel like mountain football, this is one of those weeks you would like to be bringing one of those teams from the flatlands into the high country to play.
We may know more tomorrow when the weather channel hour by hour reaches into Friday. It does say moderate rain around 4am so maybe the precipitation will hold off until after the game. I still think we'll have a big crowd.

Weeellll, Mitchell dominated for the 1st quarter, into the 2nd quarter until the fat little back judge called 4 illegal shifts in a row on Mitchell, effectively killing their momentum. Noah tried to get an explanation from him, but gave him a warning and wouldn't say. It was 21-7 at the half, not 28-7, and Erwin might have let off the gas some, but don't play it off like they had their scrubs in there in the 3rd quarter. Like I said, Mitchell played a 3aa team close. A team that was bigger, faster and much more athletic. The Mountaineers were reeling it in in the 4th, but that ko return was a backbreaker and sealed the deal. Kudos to Erwin, I'm hoping they beat Mt Tabor then lay waste to Reynolds next week.

Man I was praising Mitchell. You just have this notion that the refs played in to that game which is not the case. Nobody dominated the 1st qtr. You took the opening kickoff back. The score was 28-7 not 21-7 when Erwin started getting really conservative. Im sure Mitchell is a much better team now. Guess what, Erwin is a hell of a lot better too. That being said I am not here to debate a game 3 months ago, I was just correcting what I seen wrong. I am pulling for you guys to win it all and I think you have a very good team.

No excuses not to have a good crowd for a playoff game. I'm on blood thinner which make me get colder than I used too. I'm have a screwed up back and leg and the cold hurts my leg and the arthritis in my back. My stomach hurts , looks like I may have gallbladder issues. But unless they put me back in the hospital and the good Lord willing I'm planning on being in my spot on the top in my camper chair.

I just think Cherokee would be better off starting Mibtz and running the option offense. Bring in Crowe when your absolutely forced to pass.
Well obviously you all know your team better then me. But just looking at the stats ,I would be surprised to see a coach taking out a QB with 1910 yrds passing. But I can see putting Mintz in a wildcat or something since the QB obviously isn't a running QB negative 61 yrds rushing or even trying to fool the D thinking run and he throws a pass. But I also noticed Mintz has only passed for 25 yrds so maybe he's better runner and receiver then a passer which maybe why he didn't start as QB in the first place. He is obviously the best receiver 1081 yrds and your coach wanted some sort of a passing attack. But like say you guys have seen them play I haven't so I'm just guessing.

I’d say we will play at 7:30. Y’all probably need to book a room at the luxurious lemon tree inn. It’s a star hotel. There’s entertainment galore.

Where are yall seeing this weather report? weather channel and accuweather just say cold...no precipitation

I’d say we will play at 7:30. Y’all probably need to book a room at the luxurious lemon tree inn. It’s a star hotel. There’s entertainment galore.
Are you sure it would get a full star?
If someone was really going to spend the night i would suggest Pine Valley Motel nothing fancy but a nice little and clean road side Motel.

Where are yall seeing this weather report? weather channel and accuweather just say cold...no precipitation
Well I'm like you, my weather channel app on the daily forecast it gives H 42 L 31 10% . When you click on Friday it states Friday night 100% rain/freezing rain but right below that moderate rain will start around 3am. We'll know tomorrow when the hourly forecast gets into Friday evening but right now it does looks like just cold.

Well I just checked Ray's weather it stated we'll have increasing clouds Friday with precipitation developing Friday night but does give a time. From his site you can go the National weather service which give freezing rain between 7pm & 10pm. So I don't know weather channel is give precipitation around 3am.

I tend to trust Ray's weather over the weather channel and other weather services, just because he forecasts for each particular area, as most people know the mountains have microclimates everywhere where the weather can be different just a few miles apart. Ray is saying the freezing rain will be more of an issue along the blue ridge escarpment which will be Grassy Creek, Altapass, and Little Switzerland areas much like the ice last week was. I'd say Ledger will be right on the line of freezing rain and just a cold rain. Anybody traveling up from Cherokee will probably be better off coming through Burnsville from Asheville instead of through Marion, they're not much different time wise, but you definitely don't want to be dealing with Coxes Creek mountain if its icy, plus that will be the area that will be more affected during these ice events than through Burnsville. Hopefully precip holds off until after midnight and we dont have to worry about it, sorry for the Bob Caldwell weather rant, we now send you back to your regularly scheduled program.

I was just wanting to find em some nice accommodations old mountaineer
So do I, if someone needs to stay the night in Mitchell county. I think we could use more places. I was joking about lemon tree I really don't know anything about it. But Richard who owns Pine Valley keeps nice clean place it's nothing fancy but good for someone who need a clean bed to sleep. If you want more upscale the Richmond Inn bed & breakfast. The sad thing is when spruce pine had the BBQ festival some out of state vendors told me between the two day event that they standed the night in Marion.

Do t be jinxing the weather.. we have had bad weather all year. Just give me 40 , clear skies . Muddy field , and a good game.

Like i said in other post, mitchell has the most talent in 1a, biggest line, best playmaker, best kicking game.2nd best defense murphy little better. This is mitchell year to get a ring , no excuses from the staff ,players and fans.

Dang bud we mine as well not show up . How you have that much talent after losing so much and not win it last year

Dang bud we mine as well not show up . How you have that much talent after losing so much and not win it last year
First off i am not a mitchell fan. You beat them last season because they had no defense. Now they are very good on defense,almost good as murphy. Their quarterback is fast ,best player you will see.

I don't think weather will bother Cherokee any more than Mitchell. It's not like they are from the flatlands either. Good luck to both teams.

Like i said in other post, mitchell has the most talent in 1a, biggest line, best playmaker, best kicking game.2nd best defense murphy little better. This is mitchell year to get a ring , no excuses from the staff ,players and fans.
Okay bro we hear ya...best you’ve ever seen. Best waterboys, best towel boys, best score keeper gotcha.

But he ain’t the fastest Cherokee will see...if he is faster than 4.4 I would kinda expect his stats a little higher. I think the Qb last year had a million yards also so I wouldn’t put any money on those kind of things. Just let the game be played. Two teams duking it out on a coldness fri deee night.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT